Mounted Cameras

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Mounted Cameras

Post by socoguy78 »

I looked through the topics and couldn't find one on this... Mounted Cameras.

Does anyone do this? Mount a camera on their ride, or their helmet and record their trips?

Yesterday I bought a small video camera to record the lectures for one of my classes this fall semester and decided I'd get a duel purpose one for the PCX and for school. I bought a GoPro Hero3 white edition with 5 mega pixels. I like all the recording options and it takes nice pictures and video.

The main reason I decided to buy one to mount for the PCX was for those unexpected hit and runs, and accidents *crossing fingers* that will never happen on the PCX. Happened once on a backed up highway with my old metal SUV. The new SUV behind me got banged up, but mine not one dent.

I bought a helmet mount and realized after I came home, opened the helmet mount packaging, remembered I have a modular helmet and will have to take the camera off every time I decide to open the front face to sneeze, blow nose, put eye glasses on or off. The things I didn't think of when purchasing the mounting system when I should've gotten a mount for the PCX it's self. Augg!

Anyone have stories they want to tell where their video camera came in handy?

zach
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Mounted Cameras

Post by Mel46 »

I have a standard camera that has video capabilities. I have a ram mount system that I mountrd on the bike. I have a long 6" arm that I use to attach the camera to the mount. I sometimes run the video recorder when we go on really scenic rides.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

I used my GoPro camera this evening to drop off some movies at a local video store... Found the camera would keep stopping the record mode after about 8-9 seconds with one time it recorded the entire ride of 4 minutes. That video was unplayable/corrupted. Thinking I will take this thing back to BestBuy and get a refund. The smaller videos were very nice and could hear everything while it was incased in it's waterproof housing shell. Nothing wrong with the memory card and has 12 gigs free.

maybe a cheap one will work better. At 200 dollars this thing should be working.
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

I returned my video camera today. The guy that took care of my return seemed to know about this camera having "problems."

Maybe one day I'll get another one and record nice scenic routes through the heartlands of Missouri and her Ozark Mountains except for the chat dumps. Breath taking lands to see...

zach
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Oh god please don't mount a camera on your bike. Over here we have the GS warriors and there short plump pillions covered in them. Front of their bikes And top of their helmets front and rear

Titheads
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Helmet cam slide show of a trip in central NY, USA.
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2744
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

sendler2112 wrote:Helmet cam slide show of a trip in central NY, USA.
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2744

I liked it
M6AEY

Post by M6AEY »

I'm forced to agree with you you on this one. Even the safety argument is a bit weak, also with helmet mounted recorders your too tempted to look elsewhere than the road in front and in your mirrors. As for bike mounted units they just spoil the look of almost any bike. The only people who should be recording anything are the boys in blue IMO
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

I don't see what the big deal is if someone wants to record a ride. I have a GoPro Hero 2 I mounted on the stock windshield with the included adhesive bracket. Had it at the top over the dash, but was too jittery, so I moved it down towards the bottom for less vibration. The video is still a little bumpy, though far better than trying it with a RAM mount on the handlebars. I only record rides I do with other people so they can get a copy if they want. There's some gorgeous scenery for us in central NJ, hard to believe as that may sound...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

This is how I have my regular camera mounted at present. If I want the camera to take video without going through the windscreen I add another arm to the long one and swing the whole thing to my left.
IMG_20140721_121515.jpg
IMG_20140721_121515.jpg (131.67 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
IMG_20140721_121546.jpg
IMG_20140721_121546.jpg (119.02 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
...and the swing arm is easy to remove completely, aside from the mount itself. I also have a ram mount on the brake reservoir, so I can move the camera to there if I want to.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers