PCX 150 on the interstate

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

stephen

PCX 150 on the interstate

Post by stephen »

Hi everyone,

I currently ride a Harley Sportster 48 for occasional commuting in Kansas City. A portion of the commute is on the interstate, which often requires low-speed stop-and-go traffic, which I hate doing on my motorcycle. I've been thinking of selling the motorcycle for a 2015 PCX or a Forza. I like the PCX, but I'm wondering how well it does at interstate speeds of 65+ mph, even for the 5-10 miles that I'd need it to do so. I don't want to spend the $ on a Forza if I don't need to, but I do not want to make a "mistake" and be underpowered when I need/want it.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Re: PCX 150 on the interstate

Post by sendler2112 »

Top speed on a stock PCX150 will be 65 mph. Both redline and or power limited depending on which way the wind is blowing.
stephen

Post by stephen »

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Throw on a daytona variator and advance pro drive face with a reinforced belt and 12g dr pulley sliders and fly over 70 mph down the highway. That's what I like to do :D
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013

Post by dustin91 »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Throw on a daytona variator and advance pro drive face with a reinforced belt and 12g dr pulley sliders and fly over 70 mph down the highway. That's what I like to do :D
I truly have no idea what any of those words mean! :lol:

This is my first bike, so I have no prior experience on any motorcycle, other than the one I rode for my MSF course. Personally, I'd be worried at high speeds not so much on an open road, but on a highway with other vehicles blowing past me. At only 300 pounds, the PCX gets buffeted pretty easily in my opinion. I would not want to be pushed by a truck's wind vortex.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

That is the biggest problem I have with my pcx. When we get on the freeway it gets buffetted pretty badly. If I were considering a larger scooter that didn't cost a lot, I would do what I did before. I bought a used Suzuki Burgman 400 for $3500 and had a ball! Burgman owners all take really good care of their scooters, and a lot of them go for 100,000 miles. Mine was a 2006 and when I traded it in it had 8,000 miles on it. That was only a few months ago, so it isn't like that was long ago. I traded down because we spend a lot more time in and around the local neighborhood.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
stephen

Post by stephen »

Yes, almost all of my riding now are short trips. I had a Zuma 125, but sold it to get the Harley thinking that I would do longer rides, but that hasn't happened and I miss the fun of a scooter. I have alternates for the interstate, but it takes longer.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

Huh. I've had no buffeting; just sayin' (I do have a windshield, but its still in the carton waiting for cold weather :D ).

I've been in KC traffic. Local Interstates 'round here are like yours - constant up-down shifting on the VT 750 made me nuts.

Here, when the slab is less congested, there is still enough sheer volume of traffic that it is mostly 55-ish & rarely over 65 - when it really picks up, I just get off and follow parallel roads.

Otherwise, I pretty much stay to the right.

Still, if its a concern, the Forza might be a better choice. For me, after riding the PCX, Forza-sized scoots feel "tubby" to me, and I don't want to have to horse it around on low-speed local roads where most of my riding is done. Entirely subjective, of course - De Gustibus, etc.). Good luck in our choice, and happy (shiftless) riding!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I would have to second that. My Burgman was a darling on the freeway, but around town I felt like I was wrestling it to get into tight turns. That is where the pcx excels.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
wawctw

Post by wawctw »

I agree Mel46. I ride the PCX almost exclusively in town. It is just awesome. I now have 250 miles on it and today put 1.2 gals of gas in it and figured it out at 95 miles per gal. I have not had any other Motorcycle that I enjoy so much around town. Plenty of power off the lights and great fuel economy. So much do I enjoy it that I sold the Honda 1800 VTX. I now have a Suzuki C50T for any longer trips. Wayne
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

With my mods i get 83mpg with oversized Pirelli Daiblo scooter tires running 65+ mph on the freeways here in KC. I ride from Independence to Gladstone almost daily on 435 and also out to Desoto KS with no issues. It took a SP Takegawa silent sport exhaust and upsizing the intake tube from 1.25" to 1.5" w/ a K&N R-1100 filter to keep from dropping below 65 mph on hills but I enjoy it anyway. In all honesty with the stock size tires I could hold 65mph even 70 mph on most hills with this setup. The bike is VERY stable at highway speeds. I have no problems. The biggest thing is to learn to lean into the wind a little bit and not be scared of it. I ride until the winds are over 25MPH.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

dustin91 wrote:the PCX gets buffeted pretty easily in my opinion. I would not want to be pushed by a truck's wind vortex.
Slide back on the seat, couch down, and take the weight off of the bars. The PCX will slice through the wind with better stability. Fighting the handlebars makes side wind and truck blasts worse.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Absolutely it does. Also upgrading the fork springs helps with freeway stability quite a bit. It gets rid of that floating over bridge expansion joints feeling. You feel like your on a bike instead of a Honda Spree.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

sendler2112 wrote:
dustin91 wrote:the PCX gets buffeted pretty easily in my opinion. I would not want to be pushed by a truck's wind vortex.
Slide back on the seat, cRouch down, and take the weight off of the bars. The PCX will slice through the wind with better stability. Fighting the handlebars makes side wind and truck blasts worse.