What gear do you use? (clothing)

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Hondax2

What gear do you use? (clothing)

Post by Hondax2 »

I was just wondering what gear everyone uses? (Clothing/protection)

I am new and starting out so would be handy to know what kind of stuff other riders are wearing.

If you could say what you use your bike, and what you wear in winter/summer that would be great!
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: What gear do you use? (clothing)

Post by Indyglow »

Composite toe leather boots, leather overpants, leather gloves, armored jacket, full face helmet. Summer and winter, same gear. PCX 150.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Thailand style .... t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops ... actually I wear jeans and closed shoes most of the time.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

I mostly use my PCX 150 for errands and commuting to work. Only been riding 6 months. I wear hi-vis yellow helmet and nylon armored jacket. If it's cold I wear fleece underneath. Bottoms are nylon mesh armored over pants and leather boots to match my outfit du jour. Rain liner adds warmth in winter, but doesn't get super-cold in south Louisiana. I alternate between leather gloves and vented mesh. ATGATT baby!

Louisiana drivers rank worst in the country :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^ New Yawk drivers are No better, they Are car-razy!! :o Armor-All Over!

Starting with me armored jackets, mostly in bright colors, made of mesh, cordura and considering full leather purchase. Brands are Tourmaster, Rev'it and Cortech. I have replaced the jackets softer back armor with an upgraded Sas-tec Back Armor Protector.
Pants are Rev'it brand full armor or I wear Bohn Adventure armor wear under my jeans and tops.
Several pairs of gloves, Rev'it leather, Joe Rocket mesh/leather, Tourmaster mesh, Olympia leather and Harley leather.
Helmet is Full Face Shoei Qwest in White with interchangeable clear and dark smoke lenses. Been looking at Arai FF recently, the Rx-q. Also I'm "considering" buying a modular. I wear foam earplugs riding above 20-25mph (so, they get put in from the very start because I enjoy moving at 40-50mph).
Boots are Frey Daytona full leather Gortex high end boots (overkill to many folks, but once you hurt your foot in any way, these boots help keep you riding. Peace of mind and body ;) I also have an old pair of Harley boots.
Socks are knee height summer and winter Rev'it & wisk away moisture. Costly, but they work! Want to pay less and get same effect? Buy golf socks like Nike at sports stores. They "wisk" away too. I have a few pair myself, they're a very good replacement!
Lots of Stuff!!! :? Now.....All I Need Is A Bike! :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oops, forgot. I also have one of these around the very base of my helmet. A highly Reflective stretch band. Been on there for years. Goes on/off easily should you want to switch between lids. I will buy another should the time come
http://www.compacc.com/p/halo-reflective-helmet-band
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

RST textile jacket, RST razor textile trousers, AGV K4 evo helmet, RST gloves and a pair of work boots. I use these all year round but the trousers have a removable quilt lining.
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 VStrom 650

Post by JoshM »

Helmet - Full face Vega Altura... very inexpensive but the one I've found that fits me better than any HJC, Bell, Shoei, etc I've tried.

Top - Joe Rocket Velocity mesh jacket. Comes with a liner for winter/cold use. Excellent jacket for all weather, really. It breathes so well that I would never risk not wearing it to just be in a t-shirt.

Bottom - Depends on the occasion/weather. Either khaki shorts or jeans.

Shoes - Depends on the occasion/weather. Either athletic shoes or boots.

Being dressed in mostly black on a black scoot, I carry a high viz vest under the seat (fit's in a sandwich bag) for fog, dawn, dusk, etc riding.
oldbiker
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2012 non esp
Color: Black is cooler

Post by oldbiker »

Texpeed hi vis armoured jacket and trousers. Kevlar reinforced leather gloves with knuckle and finger protection. Caberg V2 full face helmet boots so far decathalon winter boots. I do 17 miles each way commuting on a dual carriage way each day to work plus trips around. Will be my only form of transport soon the car is going. For winter looking at buffs.
Ben Lee
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (model 13)
Color: Caucasian

Post by Ben Lee »

I don't know if it is any good. My PCX won't be mine till Wednesday.
To take off I bought a vest an gloves of buse. They look and feel OK.

And the helmet is a ROCC 180 with sun visor. That helmet felt the best to me, and wasn't that expensive. Is it any good?

Ben.
A Belgian beer please, I don't like water, that's the shit that rusts my PCX!
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

WhiteNoise wrote:Oops, forgot. I also have one of these around the very base of my helmet. A highly Reflective stretch band. Been on there for years. Goes on/off easily should you want to switch between lids. I will buy another should the time come
http://www.compacc.com/p/halo-reflective-helmet-band
My mesh gloves are Joe Rocket too, and I also have the Halo. Arai helmets are pricey, but the shield seems to have better optics. Think the hi-vis Signet-Q will be my next helmet.

White noise - any trouble with the Joe Rocket gloves with the palms becoming frayed?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Although I have a pair of Armr armoured trousers, so far I've stuck with waterproofs over jeans and thick boots. Jacket wise an Armr Moto jacket (removable liner) which gets superb reviews, as does the trousers for the price (£100 jacket, free trousers worth £50). Only thing I haven't got yet is a flourescent jacket to wear over the proper one - all my other work colleauges do. Guess I should get one to make me stand out a bit more, even with a white PCX, white helmet and reflective piping on the jacket.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

I have a hi-viz yellow TourMaster 3-season jacket, a Joe Rocket jacket with mesh sleeves for warm weather (both with armor); Scorpion EXO-500 full face helmet and an EXO-250 3/4 helmet; boots are Bates Men's GX-8 GTX Side Zip Military Boot - probably not the best for riding as they're not plated or anything, but they're *really* comfortable; inexpensive gloves and liners (haven't ponied up the dough for good gloves yet); and jeans I'm too embarrassed to wear casually, because I still haven't invested any time or money looking into good riding pants.
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I do wear a helmet AFX FX-50 Helmet and Teknic Women's Supervent Gloves. I usually wear a leather jacket without armor (but the other day when it 89° I didn't wear a jacket). Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any gear with armor in it to fit me other then gloves. Believe I have looked. I have use hiking boots that come up over my ankle but I usually wear my gym shoes and jeans.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

6footer, yup the suede palm area has been doing that for awhile but I'm still wearing them. A little bit of trimming cleans them up a bit. May get me a new pair, they're very comfortable and not that costly.
wawctw

Post by wawctw »

Scorpion half helmet with a flip down face shield, a Vega technical gear jacket with a hidden rain suit in the back, and Diamond gussett kevlar jeans.
Nines

Post by Nines »

Icon Alliance ff helmet, Icon Hooligan 2 mesh jacket (ladies), no name textile overpants, textile/leather gloves, and my 18 year old army boots. I<3 those boots!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

Helmet: Bilt Explorer, in pearlescent color: http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Tour ... _200897_21
Body armor: Fox Titan: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TK ... UTF8&psc=1
Jacket (if cold): Varies, usually something from North Face or Columbia.
Gloves: Cortech DX2 in summer, DX2 + generic snowboarding gloves in winter: http://www.amazon.com/Cortech-Textile-S ... B007P84YO8

I wear jeans and tennis shoes otherwise. I typically wear boxers too, oh, and socks.

Maddie wears a collar. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
wei2go
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wei2go »

What are the pros and cons of using body armour instead of armoured jacket?

Body armour looks like it has more impact protection but less rash protection????
Currently own a red pcx150 and a red NC750x DCT
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

That's about it -- more impact protection, less road rash protection. It's designed for offroad use, so the amount of rash protection is low. I wear it onroads because the likelihood of an impact at high speed on the PCX is fairly low.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes