PCX 125 30 Liter Trunk Box

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PCX 125 30 Liter Trunk Box

Post by Taz »

maddiedog wrote:...
* food and water (instant noodles, crackers, kippers, trail mix, energy bars, etc... ). I don't pack food light, the bike can carry the load.
Kippers kept under the seat are they? Yum, but dont they smell? ;)
Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Black Bandit »

Those side bars work but require a LOT of bungee rope!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Taz wrote:Kippers kept under the seat are they? Yum, but dont they smell? ;)
They're canned! :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Drunk kippers?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
MarionNeal

Post by MarionNeal »

dh97007 wrote:This is my first post.

I just finished my first accessory "mod" on my 2011 PCX 125. I'm planning to do some scooter camping in the spring and summer next year, so I need to add some onboard storage that will keep my gear safe and secure.

I'm planning on carrying "emergency" gear under the seat (patch kit, inflator, tools, battery tender, etc...) as well as a small backpack with my gadgets (laptop, ipad, mobile "office"). These make up the bulk of my heavy gear so I wanted them under the seat to a) keep the center of mass as low as possible and b) keep it secure and dry.

Then I decided that I wanted to add some bags of some sort. I did a lot of research on soft saddlebags and trunk bags and came very close to going that route...but there's a problem with having both a trunk bag AND saddlebags...once everything is attached you can't lift the seat! So I decided to keep looking. I thought about getting a helmet trunk (Honda OEM or Givi) but didn't want to spend that much money and didn't like that most helmet boxes are clamshell...which means half of the storage capacity is in the lid!

Then I remembered that Rubbermaid makes these tough, waterproof, lockable storage boxes and tried to figure out how to mount it to the scooter. I got pretty far down the path of replacing the seat hump with some sort of mounting bracket that I would attach the storage box to...but decided against this due to the nature of the bolts and the fear that sideways torque on the seat would crack the plastic seat pan.

So, I finally decided to split the difference. I purchased the Honda OEM rear trunk base specifically designed for the Honda PCX 125 (the model for the 150 is different, beware): Honda Part #:08L42-KWN-100MSRP for $99.95 at my local Honda dealer or get it on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-Acc ... 42-KWN-100

After reading the installation instructions (didn't want to pay Honda Dealer $150 to install!!) I ordered a 20mm hole saw from Amazon for $6 with prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CM ... 02_s00_i00

And finally I purchased the 8 gallon "Action Packer" from my local REI for $24:

http://www.rei.com/product/634286/rubbe ... cker-8-gal

I was nervous about the installation because you have to remove the rear seat cowling and drill 20mm (1") holes in it. But, it went pretty well. I removed the cowling without doing any damage, drilled the holes from the underside (Honda was nice enough to mark the drill points), test fit the installation hardware, sanded down the edges with a dremel sander, and got ready to bolt everything in place.

Before I attached the rack base, I used it as a template to drill holes in the bottom of the Action Packer box. I got it as close to the seat as possible without it getting in the way of opening...and I used the drill points that were already on the rack base (intended for mounting the Honda OEM helmet box).

Once everything was predrilled and dry fitted, I bolted the base on the scooter, bolted the Action Packer directly to the base using the included screws, bolts, and washers (I did not use the "collars" as they are specifically designed for use with the helmet box) and viola! Perfect fit!

It feels pretty sturdy and it adds a ton of usable, securable space to the scooter (and I can probably still carry a small passenger).

I've got a lot more plans dancing around in my head, but haven't made any purchases yet.

I'm hoping to carry my "campsite" in the trunk box (small stove, cookware, dinnerware, food, lights, tools/knives, etc...) and then plan to strap carry a waterproof "bedroll" to the seat between me and the box (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, pillow). I'm also thinking about attaching a 1.5 gallon fuel tank to either the back of the storage box or the lid...but I’m not sure about that yet. I was also toying with the idea of attaching a solar panel to the box lid for charging gear on long trips (or battery maintenance at campsites) but I'm not sure I want to commit the lid to that just yet (considering a small luggage rack to strap down light gear).

I did install a small GPS/Nav and ran power to the battery box using a 12v adapter and battery tender lead...but I want to figure out how to run it up the steering column so that it's not flapping in the wind. I'm also pretty sure I want a tunnel bag for riding clothes, snacks, etc...so if anyone has one to recommend let me know!

Hope this post helps, and let me know if you have questions or want better pics.

Thanks!

Very very exciting post indeed. You have made cool and nature friendly modifications.. There is lot to learn from you and I would love to make similar modifications very soon:)
MarionNeal

Post by MarionNeal »

MarionNeal wrote:
dh97007 wrote:This is my first post.

I just finished my first accessory "mod" on my 2011 PCX 125. I'm planning to do some scooter camping in the spring and summer next year, so I need to add some onboard storage that will keep my gear safe and secure.

I'm planning on carrying "emergency" gear under the seat (patch kit, inflator, tools, battery tender, etc...) as well as a small backpack with my gadgets (laptop, ipad, mobile "office"). These make up the bulk of my heavy gear so I wanted them under the seat to a) keep the center of mass as low as possible and b) keep it secure and dry.

Then I decided that I wanted to add some bags of some sort. I did a lot of research on soft saddlebags and trunk bags and came very close to going that route...but there's a problem with having both a trunk bag AND saddlebags...once everything is attached you can't lift the seat! So I decided to keep looking. I thought about getting a helmet trunk (Honda OEM or Givi) but didn't want to spend that much money and didn't like that most helmet boxes are clamshell...which means half of the storage capacity is in the lid!

Then I remembered that Rubbermaid makes these tough, waterproof, lockable storage boxes and tried to figure out how to mount it to the scooter. I got pretty far down the path of replacing the seat hump with some sort of mounting bracket that I would attach the storage box to...but decided against this due to the nature of the bolts and the fear that sideways torque on the seat would crack the plastic seat pan.

So, I finally decided to split the difference. I purchased the Honda OEM rear trunk base specifically designed for the Honda PCX 125 (the model for the 150 is different, beware): Honda Part #:08L42-KWN-100MSRP for $99.95 at my local Honda dealer or get it on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-Acc ... 42-KWN-100

After reading the installation instructions (didn't want to pay Honda Dealer $150 to install!!) I ordered a 20mm hole saw from Amazon for $6 with prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CM ... 02_s00_i00

And finally I purchased the 8 gallon "Action Packer" from my local REI for $24:

http://www.rei.com/product/634286/rubbe ... cker-8-gal

I was nervous about the installation because you have to remove the rear seat cowling and drill 20mm (1") holes in it. But, it went pretty well. I removed the cowling without doing any damage, drilled the holes from the underside (Honda was nice enough to mark the drill points), test fit the installation hardware, sanded down the edges with a dremel sander, and got ready to bolt everything in place.

Before I attached the rack base, I used it as a template to drill holes in the bottom of the Action Packer box. I got it as close to the seat as possible without it getting in the way of opening...and I used the drill points that were already on the rack base (intended for mounting the Honda OEM helmet box).

Once everything was predrilled and dry fitted, I bolted the base on the scooter, bolted the Action Packer directly to the base using the included screws, bolts, and washers (I did not use the "collars" as they are specifically designed for use with the helmet box) and viola! Perfect fit!

It feels pretty sturdy and it adds a ton of usable, securable space to the scooter (and I can probably still carry a small passenger).

I've got a lot more plans dancing around in my head, but haven't made any purchases yet.

I'm hoping to carry my "campsite" in the trunk box (small stove, cookware, dinnerware, food, lights, tools/knives, etc...) and then plan to strap carry a waterproof "bedroll" to the seat between me and the box (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, pillow). I'm also thinking about attaching a 1.5 gallon fuel tank to either the back of the storage box or the lid...but I’m not sure about that yet. I was also toying with the idea of attaching
solar panels to the box lid for charging gear on long trips (or battery maintenance at campsites) but I'm not sure I want to commit the lid to that just yet (considering a small luggage rack to strap down light gear).

I did install a small GPS/Nav and ran power to the battery box using a 12v adapter and battery tender lead...but I want to figure out how to run it up the steering column so that it's not flapping in the wind. I'm also pretty sure I want a tunnel bag for riding clothes, snacks, etc...so if anyone has one to recommend let me know!

Hope this post helps, and let me know if you have questions or want better pics.

Thanks!

Very very exciting post indeed. You have made cool and nature friendly modifications.. There is lot to learn from you and I would love to make similar modifications very soon:)
Ole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ole »

I used Sendler's idea for a home built rear rack that he posted over on ADVrider.
I used a piece of aluminum scrap angle iron I had laying around.
Drilled the holes in the rear plastic on the PCX where Honda had the little marks.
Used some stainless steel tubing for my spacers.
Ace Hardware for the metric bolts.
Attached a GIVI baseplate to my home built mount.
Loctite is your friend here. :)
I will leave the aluminum and stainless bits just like they are on color.
Am in the process of painting the white part of my GIVI E300B top case red to match the scoot.
Will leave the bottom part of the top case black.
Will post pics when I am done painting.
It was a very easy project thanks to Sendler he did the design work!

Have used the same GIVI top case on two other bikes. I sell the bikes when I tire of them but keep the top case.

GIVI makes good stuff. I beat my bikes and the GIVI stuff holds up very well.
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

I'm just about to fit a GIVI top box - is it worth me taking pics and posting a 'How To' thread guys?

:)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Until now I didn't realise you had to drill holes (or make them bigger) to fit approved PCX back boxes like Givi - I thought they just clamped on.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Nice job ole :) and cheers to sendler ;)
Looking at your pics above I noticed the openings at the base of your s.s. spacers. Have you considered closing those gaps up? Won't wet weather get in otherwise? Solution time....Time to improvise :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Ole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ole »

WhiteNoise wrote:Nice job ole :) and cheers to sendler ;)
Looking at your pics above I noticed the openings at the base of your s.s. spacers. Have you considered closing those gaps up? Won't wet weather get in otherwise? Solution time....Time to improvise :P
It's just water, and I am not trying to be a smart ass. I had no probs with water in there on my PCX 125 so I do not anticipate any probs with the 150. The top case kinda shelters the holes if you know what I mean? I will keep an eye on it though. I ride in rain a lot. We were wet before we were dry! :D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Didn't take ya wrong Ole, alls good :) yeah, I noticed the roof over the spacers, so if it ain't leaking...nofixit ;) Time will tell, no fooling Mother Nature.
Just wondering if I remember right? :roll: (Or wrong?) Are you the same Ole from "the other now closed" forum? Wasn't your 1st PCX white? A nice one at that!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Ole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ole »

WhiteNoise wrote: Just wondering if I remember right? :roll: (Or wrong?) Are you the same Ole from "the other now closed" forum? Wasn't your 1st PCX white? A nice one at that!
Yeppers that be me. I put 2400 miles on my first PCX which was a 125. Sold it bought a CRF250L. Sold that after 5000 miles now have the PCX150. And a CB1100 in the garage.
I have bike ADD and am proud of it. When I get tired of a bike it is gone in a hurry and on to the next!

Life is to short to be stuck with the same bike forever
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Cheers! Then to you I say, Welcome back home PCXer!
Hmm, did you have problems with the 125 that you sold it? Not sure if I read about your sale or not over "there" :roll: boy, that forum dropped fast and with it went everything we wrote or pictured. No matter, we are where we should be ;) Dave rocks!!
I agree if ya get bored with your bike sell or add to your collection. Buy sell can be addicting though, but it's awesome fun! So which bike are you riding the most? It's below freezing here! I'm not thinking about riding. Scoot is on battery tender snoozing.
Ole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ole »

Not riding any bike here when it's 20 below zero!
I put 600 miles on the PCX and 4100 miles on the CB11 before the snows hit.
March and riding season will be here before you know it
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

A hole cutter make a nice job of the holes. The don't leave a ragged edge and as long as the hole is started dead centre you can't really go wrong.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1389547220.063689.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1389547220.063689.jpg (31.89 KiB) Viewed 2647 times
Ole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ole »

Well, most of the snow here has melted so I am back to scootin'

I painted my white GIVI top case red, and added a WirusWin seat over the winter

been a long friggin winter here it's time to scoot!!!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I like the look of the windscreen on it as well.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Ole, I wonder what height are you and do you get any buffeting? I'm 6ft and when I get my PCX I'd like to add a rear box and screen, much like yours.