De-modded from NCY Variator to kinda stock...my thoughts.

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

De-modded from NCY Variator to kinda stock...my thoughts.

Post by ScooterMan »

Purchased the scooter with the NCY variator kit in already from the previous owner, but recieved all OEM parts. Top speed was 72mph and had dropped to 71 after about 500 miles (presumably due to belt wear) with the NCY kit. Here's my observations.

Scooter accelerates fast (with NCY) but starts to run out of steam past 50mph and is sensitive to hills and headwinds beyond that causing the scoot to easily lose speed. With the NCY performance variator kit you gain both accel off the line as well as top speed over OEM. What you seem to give up is accel between 50-70mph.

Anyway, just replaced the rear portion (that houses the Contra Spring) with the OEM unit, but kept the NCY variator but with the heavier OEM rollers in it, not the NCY sourced onces that come with the kit that are much lighter. Top speed is now 73-73.5mph (which I suspect could rise close to 75mph with a fresh belt for the first few miles). Accel is now slower off the line (noticeably) with revs much lower, but as expected, the accel is better from 50-70mph and less prone to drop of mph when encountering hills and/or headwinds. Very pleased with the new setup as I'm only 150lbs and didn't need the torque off the line that the prev owner who was 100lbs heavier must've needed. Also, the high strung nature of the NCY kit was giving me rather horrible fuel economy with the last few tanks yielding me in the neighborhood of 60-70mpg even though they were mostly freeway miles.

Looking forward to getting some data with the new setup to see how much better my fuel econ is. I expect to get back into the 85-90mpg range. =)

In summation, the NCY or any performance variator that gives you both better accel and better top end is not telling you the whole story...and that is that midrange acceleration will suffer. You can't have all 3...at best, only 2 (off the line accel, mid-range accel, top speed) without making changes to actually increase horsepower/torque. And those can be pricey...not to mention that an exhaust with a scooter transmission is a very unsatisfying sound when amplified!
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Re: De-modded from NCY Variator to kinda stock...my thoughts

Post by Mgalutia88 »

What model pcx do you have? I'm guessing a 125? With my 150 the ncy variator and 12g rollers jumped my top speed to 78mph and raised my mpg to 80-85 from 70-75mpg at 65-70mph. You might check if anything else has been changed. The ncy torque cam should improve performance and economy but the contra spring will probably be too stiff. What else has been changed on the scoot?
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Oops...PCX150 is what I have. No other mods other than NCY variator kit. I just threw a new belt on yesterday to see how much that would help but have yet to see what I gained from that. Anticipating it will get me to 75pmh. No other changes than that. Hmm, 78? That's pretty awesome. My revs did drop a lot after yesterdays changes, so expecting a gain in MPG that is yet to be confirmed.

Now, if I put the heavier weights in with the and run the NCY rear unit (previously had some pretty light weights up front), maybe I'll see some different results? Maybe I should have kept the entire NCY kit in and just switched to the heavier rollers. I can try that and see what happens as I'm running up against the Rev limiter fairly easily, at least in heavier fast moving traffic or with a slight tailwind.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I would use everything except the NCY contra spring. That's me though.
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

When i had my zuma the contra spring lowered the topend speed, as the motor didn't make enough power to full compress it. so with the contra, variator, and rollers i did 55. Went to the stock spring and was able to do 65. So in my theory and thoughts the contra springs can be over rated on a stock bike.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Ok, so I've got the NCY complete clutch kit...the one that is just under $300. So you're saying you only have the NCY variator kit?

I took the NCY clutch unit out and put the stock unit back in, but am still running the NCY variator with the heavier of the 2 sets of roller weights, which I believe are the OEM black ones. At 150 lbs, I don't need a stiffer Contra spring, and am satisfied with the acceleration.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

What I'm saying is that the NCY full kit, which you have, comes with a contra spring and you should put the stock one back in. That contra spring costs you 5-6mph on the top end. Run the stock contra spring for a boost in speed and mpg!
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

The reason you loose speed is the contra spring doesn't compress fully. Just use the stocker.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Stock contra spring with NCY variator and 12g rollers will yield 77mph on a 150
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

that's what i'm talking about. i need to get a variator ASAP!
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Stock contra spring with NCY variator and 12g rollers will yield 77mph on a 150
So is this what you're using then?

NCY Variator 12G roller and NCY Clutch assy with only the OEM Contra Spring swapped in? If so, I can try switching that out as well. =)

BTW, Josh...got your PM. I'm in Pt Loma area in San Diego. I don't ride all that much for fun as I've had crazy sportbikes (GSXR 1000's, ZX-10R, etc) in the past that got me in trouble and the scooter is now just for utility when i need it. But, I'm down to hang out whenever. :D
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

This is what I have...I can't edit my posts...I must be too new on here or whatever sttings I have.

http://enviromoto.ecrater.com/p/1590014 ... -kit-honda#
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

ScooterMan wrote:
Mgalutia88 wrote:Stock contra spring with NCY variator and 12g rollers will yield 77mph on a 150
So is this what you're using then?

NCY Variator 12G roller and NCY Clutch assy with only the OEM Contra Spring swapped in? If so, I can try switching that out as well. =)

BTW, Josh...got your PM. I'm in Pt Loma area in San Diego. I don't ride all that much for fun as I've had crazy sportbikes (GSXR 1000's, ZX-10R, etc) in the past that got me in trouble and the scooter is now just for utility when i need it. But, I'm down to hang out whenever. :D
We will be ridding Sunday. meet up spot is probably going to be at the Starbucks in Chula Vista or something. At least this will not get you in trouble. Some example of the crew.

Didn't mean to thread jack. =P
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Eureka! 79mph where the limiter kicks in with the stock clutch unit with the NCY Variator with OEM black rollers. The difference? A new belt! Didn't think it'd be that much of a diffference with the bike only having 1500 miles on it, but my suspicion is that with the higher rpm takeoff's with the full NCY kit, and with the prev owner being a much heavier rider, that the orig belt wore VERY fast. Anyway, awesome stuff. Just finished a 70mph round trip where I topped off before leaving and and filled up to the same spot on the way back and got 73mpg with my wife on the back with our combined weight being 325lbs with all our gear, clothes and cargo doing all freeway miles pegged most of the way. Feeling pretty good about that as the last time I did a tank with my wife with the full NCY performance transmission kit, I was getting high 50's to low 60's for mpg.

I'm satisfied now. =)
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

dem0nk1d wrote:that's what i'm talking about. i need to get a variator ASAP!
pcxracing is taking pre orders now for the yuminashi variator, get in now!

ps wish I lived closer to SD!
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

dasshreddar wrote:

Where you located? The biggest ride of the year aka Super Sunday is the last Sunday of April in Rancho Cucamongo. Over 300+ riders last year.

Scooterman,

so your setup is fairly basic NCY variator stock weights, and what about contra spring? You said stock clutch setup...
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

That's great news!
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

dem0nk1d wrote:
dasshreddar wrote:

Where you located? The biggest ride of the year aka Super Sunday is the last Sunday of April in Rancho Cucamongo. Over 300+ riders last year.

Scooterman,

so your setup is fairly basic NCY variator stock weights, and what about contra spring? You said stock clutch setup...
I'm in Pt Loma, Shelter Island area. Yes, NCY variator with OEM Honda rollers, the stock clutch in the rear, and stock contra spring I have to assume.
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

is this the gold coated variator? i've seen them as low as 60$.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

^^^Yes...I'd get one! How fast does your scooter go right now? And how many miles on the current belt...is the drivetrain stock?