Re: Engine is dead..

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

nacho

Post by nacho »

I have a 2010 PCX with 51,000 km on the clock. I have an Over muffle with the baffle out, and it has a history of backfiring. It started to use more gas in the last 6 months and I knew it needed some love. Wednesday I have it wide open in the country, and it just died. Won't start. I think it needs an engine rebuild, and I'm considering doing it myself, unless anyone knows of a good, honest reliable mechanic in Bangkok. Any thoughts on the situation would be great. Thanks in advance!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

nacho wrote:I have a 2010 PCX with 51,000 km on the clock. I have an Over muffle with the baffle out, and it has a history of backfiring. It started to use more gas in the last 6 months and I knew it needed some love. Wednesday I have it wide open in the country, and it just died. Won't start. I think it needs an engine rebuild, and I'm considering doing it myself, unless anyone knows of a good, honest reliable mechanic in Bangkok. Any thoughts on the situation would be great. Thanks in advance!
There are lots of good shops in BKK ... many of them hole in the wall places ... and for cheap. Do you have any Thai friends that could do some interpretation for you? That would go a long way.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

By the way .... welcome to hondapcx.org
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Re: Engine is dead..

Post by gn2 »

Throw it in a skip and buy a new one.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I would think you could get a good second hand one over there from a bike breaker. There's a few for sale in the Uk in eBay.
nacho

Post by nacho »

Hey thanks for the warm welcome Kramnala58 It seems we are not far apart from each other, geographically.

On the Thai language front, I speak enough to get by, and my wife fills in the blanks. :)

You wouldn't happen to have a recommendation on a shop would you? I looked around today, and some shops told me that they don't have the equipment to overhaul a Honda PCX engine.

I know where to buy the parts, (suk soi 103 OEM) I just need the mechanic. I live in Nonthaburi, not far from Bang Sue.

Many thanks!
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Does your crank turn? Do you have compression? Did the injector or fuel pump die? Don't just assume it needs a rebuild. Pull the plug and complete a compression test. Before that check for spark. If ou have spark and compression check for fuel.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

nacho wrote:You wouldn't happen to have a recommendation on a shop would you? ... I live in Nonthaburi, not far from Bang Sue.
I'll talk to a Thai friend to see if he knows of a shop. I'll let him know where you live. It's a ways from me. I'm in the center of BKK on the BTS line between the Nana and Asok stations. I use small shop off of Sutthisan Rd. but I don't think they do major motor work. I'll let you know what I find out.

I think Mgalutia88 offered some good advice too. What makes you think you're in need of a rebuild and that it is not something else?
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I've been a mechanic and a technician for the last nine years on everything from tractor trailers and route trucks to movie rental kiosks and Porsches. I'm just suggesting diagnosing your issue. Was there any noise when it died or did it just suddenly stop running?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

History of backfiring? Bad fuel consumption? When is the last time your valves were adjusted and spark plug checked? You might have dropped a valve if you let them go for too long. :/
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
nacho

Post by nacho »

@ Mgalutia88, thanks for the response! Died suddenly @ 100kph It won't even turn over now. I'm expecting I have blown a gasket or cracked the piston. Of course, I'm not a mechanic. Can I do a compression check without it turning over? Is there any way I can determine the cause, before I bend over...?

@ Mattiedog, Thank you too for weighing in. There has been a history of backfiring due, I think, to the baffle being out of the Over brand muffler. The gas consumption increase started about 8 months ago. I have changed the plug prior to this, but did not consider it until now. I have never had the valves adjusted, to my knowledge at least. I watch it like a hawk when it is even getting an oil change. Are there any identifiable symptoms for a dropped valve?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

I talked to my friend and he said the problem is that a lot of the small shops do basic repairs, but to do something as large as tearing apart a motor and rebuilding it, they don't have that ability. But here is a link to the place where I bought my used PCX just under a year ago. They are a Honda dealer and have the capability to do large jobs such as an engine rebuild. I have never used them for work on the bike, but they treated me good when I bought it and looked after everything for me including registration and licensing. Based on my experience with sales, I am pleased with them.

http://www.hondaworldspeed.com/
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

No you cannot do a compression test if the engine worn turn with the starter. Check the oil for something that looks like a milkshake or at least contaminated oil. Your other option is to pull the spark plug and try turning it over to see if liquid comes out.
nacho

Post by nacho »

@ Mgalutia88, Thank you! I'm going to check it today. I should have considered looking at the oil and plug, but I do this kind of thing so seldom that I forget that this is what you do. hehe

@ Kramnala58 Thanks for the tip on that shop!

Just like riding in Bkk, I'm going to go slow. One step at a time. :D

I'll post an update.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

nacho wrote:Just like riding in Bkk, I'm going to go slow. One step at a time. :D
I hear you. My wife and I were up in Kanchanaburi two weeks ago and rented a scooter (200 baht for 24 hours). It was nice riding without so much traffic. If/when I move back to the US or Canada, it will be hard not to get a bike of some sort for rides on open space.

Just wondering, where are you originally from?
nacho

Post by nacho »

Hey Kramnala58, Originally from the east bay, but I moved to Morocco when I was a child. In large part, I have traveled most of my life. Now, I bounce between Nonthaburi, Bkk and Saphan Buri/Sam Chuk.

On the motorcycle front;

I checked the dipstick for water and found none. :) :) :)

I tried to pull the plug to check there, but didn't have the tools.

I walked it into the local guy (bypassing the woman who wanted to give me a prostrate massage) and
had him pull the plug. He replaced the battery, as a 'process of elimination', and stuck his thumb over the spark plug hole, then gave it a crank. She tried to start. :)

His determination is that the generator has died, but that might be more 'process of elimination' for him.

Personally, I think, at this point it could be two things. One thing that is bad, and one thing that is close to bad.

If I replace the generator and it runs, since there is no water in the plugs/oil, the next issue is a valve adjustment.

Please weigh in and correct me if I am wrong. I'm a wealth of useless knowledge, just not on engines!
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

What I can tell you is that our clutches don't disengauge until 10-12 mph which means that if you shut the engine off while riding at speed then your crank was still turning as you decelerated.

Secondly, if it tried to start with another battery, charge your battery and replace the generator and go on down the road. The stator is a $200 usd part. Is your scooter still worth it to you?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

There is no "generator," just a stator that functions as both a starter and an alternator to charge the battery. If the engine tries to start, that's likely not the issue.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
nacho

Post by nacho »

Thanks Maddiedog for your insight!

When the engine tried to start it was not a full attempt, like a you would have, say, if you were out of gas. It was more of a small, barely audible rumble in the exhaust.

Considering how it suddenly stopped, could it be that my valves are out of wack?

Thanks again! :)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Doesn't sound like that. Not a full attempt sounds like the battery is dead or low.