Takegawa Pcx 170cc

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Takegawa Pcx 170cc

Post by Slickvic »

sendler2112 wrote:
Slickvic wrote:I love the idea of having a very light weight vehicle that I can tweak
The first thing you will want is a tach so we can see what your bike is doing as you mod it.
http://www.amazon.com/Koso-North-Americ ... B0041QMSE0
This little Koso tach is powered from it's own battery so it is a one wire hook up. very easy to install. All you do is run the wire down and wrap it around and around the spark plug wire.
Thank you Sendler and PCXDemon for your technical advice and testing. I plan on making these mods incrementally as my budget allows.

I will definitely get the Tach first and then the variator and rollers. Next the 31mm throttle body and Takegawa Silent Sport Muffler.

(I'm not sure if this muffler is available for the 150 yet)
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

I just drilled my stock muffler to let more of the noise out and reduce back pressure.
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

Slickvic wrote:
sendler2112 wrote:
Slickvic wrote:I love the idea of having a very light weight vehicle that I can tweak
The first thing you will want is a tach so we can see what your bike is doing as you mod it.
http://www.amazon.com/Koso-North-Americ ... B0041QMSE0
This little Koso tach is powered from it's own battery so it is a one wire hook up. very easy to install. All you do is run the wire down and wrap it around and around the spark plug wire.
Thank you Sendler and PCXDemon for your technical advice and testing. I plan on making these mods incrementally as my budget allows.

I will definitely get the Tach first and then the variator and rollers. Next the 31mm throttle body and Takegawa Silent Sport Muffler.

(I'm not sure if this muffler is available for the 150 yet)

I believe it is available thru webike.
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

sendler2112 wrote:I just drilled my stock muffler to let more of the noise out and reduce back pressure.

Yeah after pricing out the mufflers, I think I will try that first. ;)
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

Slickvic wrote:
sendler2112 wrote:I just drilled my stock muffler to let more of the noise out and reduce back pressure.

Yeah after pricing out the mufflers, I think I will try that first. ;)

http://www.speedaddictcycles.com/produc ... X-150.html

Much better price, freight is free in the US
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

http://www.speedaddictcycles.com/produc ... X-150.html

Much better price, freight is free in the US[/quote]

I was thinking about that same muffler too, but the LEO's are so loud, had one on my stock ruckus( way too loud even with included silencer). :x
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

You can't run a Leo Vince Corsa on the street. They are immensely loud. They make very nice mufflers that are not so loud but they cost a lot more.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Had a 320km ride today,was an awesome day for it. Also i have a new top speed achieved as well,flat roads very small winds with little tuck i got it to 134kmh and was happy to sit there for a while. It was literally bouncing of the limiter at that speed. Tomorrow or tuesday im getting in the mail from Webike 14degree outer pulley to go with my current vario set up so i have a feeling i may be setting a new top speed record (after Yuminashi of course) in the next few days...Im hoping to nudge 140kmh on the speedo..
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Did you change the gearing in the rear or are you getting the extra top speed just from the variator and increased redline? The only rear "gear up" kit I have seen only increases a few percent and doesn't look to be worth the trouble.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

sendler2112 wrote:Did you change the gearing in the rear or are you getting the extra top speed just from the variator and increased redline? The only rear "gear up" kit I have seen only increases a few percent and doesn't look to be worth the trouble.
I use Kitaco gear up,its very small increase..id say it gave me 4mph top end and maybe slightly better midrange swiftness..Redline is stock,its not increased. So all the speed is from vario,sliders and gear up..
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

Pcxdemon wrote:
sendler2112 wrote:Did you change the gearing in the rear or are you getting the extra top speed just from the variator and increased redline? The only rear "gear up" kit I have seen only increases a few percent and doesn't look to be worth the trouble.
I use Kitaco gear up,its very small increase..id say it gave me 4mph top end and maybe slightly better midrange swiftness..Redline is stock,its not increased. So all the speed is from vario,sliders and gear up..
Wow, that high of a top speed from just a few mods. How much do you weigh?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Slickvic wrote:Wow, that high of a top speed from just a few mods.
Major mods. Don't forget the over bore piston and jug and the performance cam.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Slickvic wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:
Wow, that high of a top speed from just a few mods. How much do you weigh?
Im 85kg,183cm high so not a little bloke on the Pcx. Most of performance comes from well tuned and balanced transmission so im able to put every bit of horsepower to the wheel instead loosing it somewhere in the cvt,and tuning a cvt right takes time,effort and a bit of experience..Every machine/scooter is slightly different in term of response and mods so one needs to become 'in tune' with their machine...
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Scompton1

Post by Scompton1 »

Pcxdemon: I have enjoyed reading your posts and mod results. I have the 150 and so far have just upgraded the CVT using the NCY kit. It came with 13g roller weights and I have ordered 10g Dr. Pulley Sliders. The shop here thinks 13g is too light, I think they are too heavy, stock was 15g. I have the Wiruswin Caliper Air filter with the SP Takegawa FI 2 controler so have the air and fuel under control. I have a LV Cobra SS exhaust on it's way, so still using stock exhaust. I feel better take off and quicker accel to 60kph and top speed is just over 115kph, would not go past 110 prior to upgrades. I was expecting much better acceleration with the upgrade especially with the performance air filter and FI controller. Do you think the 10g is too light? Looking forward to your response. I am almost at 600 KMs total not even at 1st oil change yet and I can't stop finding things to add, it is so much fun and there is lots out there to choose from.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Scompton1 wrote:Pcxdemon: I have enjoyed reading your posts and mod results. I have the 150 and so far have just upgraded the CVT using the NCY kit. It came with 13g roller weights and I have ordered 10g Dr. Pulley Sliders. The shop here thinks 13g is too light, I think they are too heavy, stock was 15g. I have the Wiruswin Caliper Air filter with the SP Takegawa FI 2 controler so have the air and fuel under control. I have a LV Cobra SS exhaust on it's way, so still using stock exhaust. I feel better take off and quicker accel to 60kph and top speed is just over 115kph, would not go past 110 prior to upgrades. I was expecting much better acceleration with the upgrade especially with the performance air filter and FI controller. Do you think the 10g is too light? Looking forward to your response. I am almost at 600 KMs total not even at 1st oil change yet and I can't stop finding things to add, it is so much fun and there is lots out there to choose from.
The whole NCY Kit? I cant tell you what weight to go down to except to set your weight for 8k rpm,you will need tacho first to see what 13g weights are doing and then go from there...To be honest you dont need SP Takegawa FI 2 controler,Honda PGM-Fi is more than capable to handle many things thrown at it even big bore kits! I would unplug it and let Pcx sort it self out like i have on mine,its perfect!
Scompton1

Post by Scompton1 »

Yes, I had the whole CVT Super Transmission kit by NCY installed. Are you saying 8000 RPMs would be max attained at full throttle? You think the scooter will run better without the FI controller? or it will run the same? It is already paid for and installed so if the same, would likely just leave it in. It allows for MAP adjustments very easily may be useful down the road. I was suprised at how much louder it was with the air filter upgrade, I don't think I am going to see the full improvement effect until my exhaust arrives. I am hoping it will make a big difference from stock. I will try the 10g Dr. Pulley Sliders and see what happens, they should get here in the next couple of days. I will update the post with that info. I will look at obtaining a TACH as well to really see what it is doing. Thanks for the info.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Scompton1 wrote:8000 RPMs would be max attained at full throttle?
You want the CVT to pull at the 8000 rpm power peak whenever you use full throttle by choosing the mass of the weights that accomplish this. After 55 mph or so, the front pulley will be maxed out and the rpms will rise with increasing speed up to top speed or redline (9600 rpm for a 150) whichever comes first.
Scompton1

Post by Scompton1 »

Thanks sendler2112, I will post the results once I install the tach in the next few days.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Scompton1 wrote:Yes, I had the whole CVT Super Transmission kit by NCY installed. Are you saying 8000 RPMs would be max attained at full throttle? You think the scooter will run better without the FI controller? or it will run the same? It is already paid for and installed so if the same, would likely just leave it in. It allows for MAP adjustments very easily may be useful down the road. I was suprised at how much louder it was with the air filter upgrade, I don't think I am going to see the full improvement effect until my exhaust arrives. I am hoping it will make a big difference from stock. I will try the 10g Dr. Pulley Sliders and see what happens, they should get here in the next couple of days. I will update the post with that info. I will look at obtaining a TACH as well to really see what it is doing. Thanks for the info.
Yes i would disconnect Fi Con,it has pre set maps that are not self adjustable to minor mods unless you up the fuel manually,but how do you know how much fuel you're adding or not adding? Stock computer is more than capable to adjust air/fuel values and keep up with your minor mods,also it will have much faster micro processors than an aftermarket version piggy back.To disconnect it all you need to is unplug it and use that one piece wire supplied with it to bridge the gap for injector,thats it, 2min work! Im sure after i unplugged mine Kitaco I-Map scooter ran better,maybe placebo but that initial feeling was 'goes/feels better,what the...'. Just make sure you disconnect the battery for couple minutes to reset stock computer prior to restarting it after removing the Fi-Con to re-learn new values for the mods...

Cheers