You're a biker? Questions, questions

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: You're a biker? Questions, questions

Post by skuuter »

Since this eventually steered toward some "Safety Aspects".....ALWAYS move around in Your Lane, especially approaching intersections, business parking lots, driveways/roads with cars waiting to pull out, and Cars in turn lanes. Drivers are used to taking "glances" before pulling out with a "general targeted fixation" of road view....may not see You unless Their "fixation" gets interrupted by movement...another possible lifesaver is roll out of Your throttle at these places...that ever so slight drop in speed has given me the split second extra time I needed to miss a very close call on several occasions....and, YES, Hi-Viz Yellows, Greens, and Whites will help a lot over darker clothing...I can personally attest to it..... 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

you you wrote:Perhaps few actions are absolutely safe
One could sit on the couch and have food delivered. Of course, those people would be sad and pathetic... 'cause they aren't out having fun on two wheels!

I have owned a bunch of Harleys over the years... I'm only saying that because of a t-shirt I saw at an H-D dealership: "If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand." So very true. Some people get it, others never will.

I have gotten off hard a couple times in the 45+ years I've been riding. Maybe it's age/experience, maybe it's the scoot, but I find I ride less aggressively with the PCX. I felt invincible riding a Harley; I felt the curves beckon me to push it harder with a BMW. The PCX makes me smile and just want to be on two wheels. It isn't "dangerous," it is a desire.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We had in interesting thing happen to us recently. We were riding our scooters in 5 o'clock traffic on one of the main streets recently and a car pulled up beside us, rolled down their windows and the young ladies in the car both said that they thought our scooters were 'hot'. They were probably early college age. They looked like they came from money. Still, how often do people say that while in heavy traffic?!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

:D I'm diggin' that!!! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

I've been riding not even a week yet, after taking my safety course (with the only intent on getting a scooter, though who knows what the future will bring? ;)). I'm 44 with a wife and 11 y/o kid, my mom was almost as excited as I was in deciding to get one, it may have prompted my dad to finally take flying lessons, and now my wife wants one. Every neighbor who's seen me leave or come back from a ride congratulates me and tells me to enjoy having it. And maybe I'm still too new at this, but I spent two hours riding on Sunday and more than half of the motorcyclists I passed on the roads gave me the wave or nod, even though I don't have a clutch, and the only reason my smile wasn't larger was because of the helmet cushions crushing my cheeks. I'm in love with this "lifestyle" already, with the chance to be out there on your own enjoying the roads and the scenery, or in a huge group of fellow riders. I guess I'm just lucky that I haven't had to have one of these types of conversations yet. And as I have to remind my wife every time we board a plane, we were more in danger on the ride to the airport then we'll ever be in the cabin. It's all just risk assessment and avoidance. And bright clothing. :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dustin91 wrote:I've been riding not even a week yet, after taking my safety course (with the only intent on getting a scooter, though who knows what the future will bring? ;)). I'm 44 with a wife and 11 y/o kid, my mom was almost as excited as I was in deciding to get one, it may have prompted my dad to finally take flying lessons, and now my wife wants one. Every neighbor who's seen me leave or come back from a ride congratulates me and tells me to enjoy having it. And maybe I'm still too new at this, but I spent two hours riding on Sunday and more than half of the motorcyclists I passed on the roads gave me the wave or nod, even though I don't have a clutch, and the only reason my smile wasn't larger was because of the helmet cushions crushing my cheeks. I'm in love with this "lifestyle" already, with the chance to be out there on your own enjoying the roads and the scenery, or in a huge group of fellow riders. I guess I'm just lucky that I haven't had to have one of these types of conversations yet. And as I have to remind my wife every time we board a plane, we were more in danger on the ride to the airport then we'll ever be in the cabin. It's all just risk assessment and avoidance. And bright clothing. :D
Best post on this topic
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

You You, I'm blushing... :D
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

dustin91 wrote: It's all just risk assessment and avoidance. And bright clothing. :D

I hear the MSF course still fresh in your mind. I really did enjoy the class too bad I'll have to wait to ride my scooter. Hopefully in a few weeks.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Every time I make a turn, it's all SEE... drilled into me like my multiplication tables in 3rd grade!
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Does SEE stand for something?
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

If I remember correctly it means Search Evaluate Execute. It's been a few years since I took the class, but if not, it's something to that effect?
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dustin91 wrote:You You, I'm blushing... :D

Fag :D
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

CaptnJim wrote:
you you wrote:Perhaps few actions are absolutely safe
One could sit on the couch and have food delivered. Of course, those people would be sad and pathetic... 'cause they aren't out having fun on two wheels!

I have owned a bunch of Harleys over the years... I'm only saying that because of a t-shirt I saw at an H-D dealership: "If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand." So very true. Some people get it, others never will.

I have gotten off hard a couple times in the 45+ years I've been riding. Maybe it's age/experience, maybe it's the scoot, but I find I ride less aggressively with the PCX. I felt invincible riding a Harley; I felt the curves beckon me to push it harder with a BMW. The PCX makes me smile and just want to be on two wheels. It isn't "dangerous," it is a desire.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

Well said....having owned Harleys, Other Cruisers, Choppers, CBR1000RRs, Gold Wings, Triumph Speed Triples, on and on and on, I fully understand...Certain Machines just beg and entice You to "Fast Dance", Others let You simply "Enjoy the Ride and Slow Dance".....the PCX is definitely a "Sit Back and Enjoy the Ride" Machine..... 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Anyhoo. What's a biker?
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

you you wrote:Anyhoo. What's a biker?

I have no idea.....guess I need to "Google"..... :D
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

strkngfang wrote:If I remember correctly it means Search Evaluate Execute. It's been a few years since I took the class, but if not, it's something to that effect?
Yup. Being a new rider, I'm still a little hopped up on the anxiety of a deer charging out in front of me... quite the possibility in central NJ. But my instructor said if an animal darts out in front of you, and it would fit on a plate if you roadkilled it, then roadkill it. Seems reasonable to me!
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

you you wrote:

Hey man, whatever inflates your tires! :P
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

dustin91 wrote:
strkngfang wrote: But my instructor said if an animal darts out in front of you, and it would fit on a plate if you road killed it, then roadkill it. Seems reasonable to me!
Yup, my husband found out the hard way with that about 2 months ago. He tried to go around a possum and it darted back to where it came from. My husband lost control and fell. Nice road rash. The most embarrassing part, he did it just as the fire truck was going into the station. So they saw it happen and came down to see if he was okay. They called the paramedics and the police. I think that hurt his pride more then the road rash. He's also a new rider as well. He just started riding in June. He said next time he'll hit the bugger (I censored that part). Although he did come across a mob of deer a little while ago. It made him very nervous.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dustin91 wrote:
you you wrote:

Hey man, whatever inflates your tires! :P

Air
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

katschamne wrote:
dustin91 wrote:
strkngfang wrote: But my instructor said if an animal darts out in front of you, and it would fit on a plate if you road killed it, then roadkill it. Seems reasonable to me!
Yup, my husband found out the hard way with that about 2 months ago. He tried to go around a possum and it darted back to where it came from. My husband lost control and fell. Nice road rash. The most embarrassing part, he did it just as the fire truck was going into the station. So they saw it happen and came down to see if he was okay. They called the paramedics and the police. I think that hurt his pride more then the road rash. He's also a new rider as well. He just started riding in June. He said next time he'll hit the bugger (I censored that part). Although he did come across a mob of deer a little while ago. It made him very nervous.
:D I guess you weren't there at the time :)