honda pcx top speed issue

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Loki13
Year: 2012
Color: clear

honda pcx top speed issue

Post by Loki13 »

i bought a 2012 honda pcx 125
and it wont go any faster then 49 mph (down hill maybe can hit a bit more)
did any one encounter a problem like this? dont know what to do
im 100% new to bikes so i dont even know where to start looking at
i get to 49 mph very fast but i wont go any faster then 49 even at full throttle wont move over 49
i can feel and hear the engine going faster but it does not make any diffrence if i hold half throttle or fully open still caps at 49
i googled and found out that if the cvt belt is worn out(my belt is hella worn out might i add) then the top speed is effected
i got a new belt today and going to install it later today il update if it has any effect
i could just send it to a shop and get it fixed i guess but i dont want any one messing with my bike i want to learn get experience and save a buck :P
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Re: honda pcx top speed issue

Post by Conelite »

How many miles on the bike? Any service records?

If its high mileage I would recommend a belt change if its original or it has a lot of miles. Usually high rpms but low top speed is a work belt or worn rollers.

Given that you would need to open the CVT, its highly recommended to purchase a new upgraded Variator and lighter weights. It will make a world of difference if its all stock. Should give you more top end and better acceleration.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Loki13

Post by Loki13 »

thanks for the reply
last owner really did not touch the bike.. road it every did but only changed the oil thats it from what i see
around 27000 miles the bike road with limited service with no records to be found
last belt change i guess was around (i have a reason for the guess) 13000 miles even tho its just cracked not to bad
il open up the the fan to check if the rollers are good if not il just get a new performance variator kit
do you really think that the belt causes a lose of 18 mph?
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

Absolutely. 27k miles? Holy Moly yes I would recommend changing: Belt, Variator, Driveface and weights.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
Loki13

Post by Loki13 »

thanks for the advice will do!