Seat uncovered

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Seat uncovered

Post by Indyglow »

tn_010.JPG
tn_010.JPG (18.04 KiB) Viewed 3816 times
tn_009.JPG
tn_009.JPG (20.21 KiB) Viewed 3816 times
tn_007.JPG
tn_007.JPG (20.52 KiB) Viewed 3816 times
This is the PCX 150 seat base. I took off the cover and foam because I plan to take it to companies that do plastic welding to try to get the front lowered to lower the seat-to-ground height. I thought people might be interested in seeing what the base looks like.
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Seat uncovered

Post by Theboybilly »

You'll lose a bit of room for a helmet though I presume. I can get both feet firmly planted and I have an inseam measurement of 29". You must have much shorter legs than me to warrant shaving anything off the seat. Will you be re-modelling the seat without the hump? I'd like to see the result if possible, and compare the cost with the price of those from Thailand

Many thanks,

Bill
Image[/URL
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Indyglow »

I will lose underseat storage space, but my full-face helmet doesn't fit under the seat anyway. I'm only 5'3" and have to wear very thick sole boots to comfortably reach the ground. I'd much rather have the seat lowered if I can find a place to do that. A low seat would be better than high boots.
tn_rat+tall boots 011.JPG
tn_rat+tall boots 011.JPG (19.46 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Indyglow wrote:I will lose underseat storage space, but my full-face helmet doesn't fit under the seat anyway. I'm only 5'3" and have to wear very thick sole boots to comfortably reach the ground. I'd much rather have the seat lowered if I can find a place to do that. A low seat would be better than high boots.
tn_rat+tall boots 011.JPG

I don't understand. My wife is your size and she doesn't need anything like this
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

It's a matter of preference -- for me to flat-foot the PCX firmly or on both sides, I'd have to wear something like Indyglow posted. After dirt biking with a bike that I'm nearly 6" of leg too short on either side to flatfoot, it's not really a problem, I've gotten used to leaning way over and flat-footing with one foot, or using the tips of my toes.

For reference, I have a 30" inseam and am 5'8"...
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Indyglow »

With the places I ride and the kinds of road surfaces I encounter on those rides, I need to be able to flatfoot both feet at the same time. Leaning and just having one foot on the ground won't work for me. I didn't even get my motorcycle license until I was 51 years old, and my PCX when I was 52, so I'm far past the age where I believed I was indestructable and could do anything. Since now I am very aware of my limitations, flatfooting both feet is what I need to do. I just hope I can find someplace that can modify my seat the way I want it.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Indyglow wrote:With the places I ride and the kinds of road surfaces I encounter on those rides, I need to be able to flatfoot both feet at the same time. Leaning and just having one foot on the ground won't work for me. I didn't even get my motorcycle license until I was 51 years old, and my PCX when I was 52, so I'm far past the age where I believed I was indestructable and could do anything. Since now I am very aware of my limitations, flatfooting both feet is what I need to do. I just hope I can find someplace that can modify my seat the way I want it.
To each their own I suppose. My wife is 5ft exactly is 48 and rides my scooters and the black bike below with no issues.
Last edited by you you on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

HTML embedding won't work, use

Code: Select all

[img]http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w228/qed_2007/F393B10A-4A60-4FD9-AE6B-07D27C1A848F-3587-000002C732F6943B.jpg[/img]
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Nice Bimmer, btw.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Already edited
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:Nice Bimmer, btw.

I can't flatfoot on it and I'm 6'5. The rear end rises when you pull away too
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

Indyglow wrote: I plan to take it to companies that do plastic welding to try to get the front lowered to lower the seat-to-ground height.
Looks like it wouldn’t be too difficult to lower the front of the seat, but the area my butt occupies is level with the sides of the frame of the storage bucket; the lip where the seat seals. Lowering the front won’t help unless you slide way forward.

Perhaps if you removed the seat, and stretched a hammock style seat inside your storage compartment, you could sit down inside it…

Seems the way to get meaningful height reduction would be to cut down the body of the storage area of the bike so the present seat would rest at a lower elevation. I’m not a designer, so I would ruin the bike if I attempted something like that. However, in the hands of a craftsman, it may work nicely.

…or ride with smaller wheels.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Are you sitting as far fwd on the seat as possible as the more fwd you are the lower to the ground you are. You can tilt the handlebars fwd to allow you to sit further fwd.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Indyglow wrote:With the places I ride and the kinds of road surfaces I encounter on those rides, I need to be able to flatfoot both feet at the same time.
No you don't, what you need to do is practice riding at low speeds with your feet up and gain experience at balancing.
It's possible to roll almost to a standstill, have the idle stop cut the engine and ride away again without touching a foot down.
I can do it and my balance is shite.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
Indyglow wrote:With the places I ride and the kinds of road surfaces I encounter on those rides, I need to be able to flatfoot both feet at the same time.
No you don't, what you need to do is practice riding at low speeds with your feet up and gain experience at balancing.
It's possible to roll almost to a standstill, have the idle stop cut the engine and ride away again without touching a foot down.
I can do it and my balance is shite.

I agree. It's probably a confidence thing. You don't need to flat foot on any road no matter how bad it is. Believe me the roads here can be pretty appalling

Looking at those boots makes me think your curing the symptom. At the end of the day having those on your feet isn't going to help your riding
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

No idle stop switch, it's a U.S. bike. We are not the fortunate ones :(
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Makes no odds whether its got idle stop or not, you should still be able to roll to a standstill and accelerate away without touching a foot down.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Makes no odds whether its got idle stop or not, you should still be able to roll to a standstill and accelerate away without touching a foot down.

I suppose it's about confidence. Well done for the guy kicking off on bikes at the age of 51. I'm a bit in awe of that to be honest.

Bikes are odd. Most people can drive a car from 16/17 to 90 but with bikes its a slow process. Every year you learn more.
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Indyglow »

Wow, some of you guys are really harsh! I started this thread because I want to try to lower my seat, and thought maybe others might be interested if it could be done. I want to be able to put both feet flat on the ground. Lack of confidence? Sure! My riding experience is measured in months, not years. ( Not counting the years I spent as a passenger on my husband's motorcycle) But I want to ride and I want to ride this particular scooter. And next time I'm in a line of traffic waiting for the light to change, or at a railroad crossing waiting for a train to pass, I will remember that some of you are so skilled that you can sit, stopped, WITH NO FEET DOWN!!!! When I was at the rider course learning to ride so I could get my license, my instructor told me that a sign of an inexperienced rider is wanting to put both feet down at a stop. But that's my whole point---I AM an inexperienced rider!!! So cut me some slack here!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My wife is only 5' tall and she couldn't reach the ground either. our solution was first of all to get her some really tall boots (Demonia Ranger 301). Then I ordered her a custom seat from Powerbypcx.com .
http://www.powerbypcx.com/achat-selle-t ... 69433.html

Hope this helps you. She loves riding now.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers