2011 PCX Won't Start

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

2011PCXwtff
Year: 2011
Color: White

2011 PCX Won't Start

Post by 2011PCXwtff »

Hey all,

I have a 2011 PCX w/ 1,400 miles. My wife impulse bought it, decided she didn't like it, and it has been sitting in the garage for 4 years. She finally wants to sell it, so I get to get it running.

It last ran in 2015, sat with a small amount of fuel in the tank (we moved in 2015 & I ran it down to barely anything for the movers to take it).

Replaced battery, spark plug, and added new fuel, no luck. Gif below is what happens when I try to start it.

http://imgur.com/a/S4pNub5

Fuel gauge on instrument panel flashes full bars, still haven't figured out what this indicates.

Any suggestions?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: 2011 PCX Won't Start

Post by you you »

2011PCXwtff wrote:Hey all,

I have a 2011 PCX w/ 1,400 miles. My wife impulse bought it, decided she didn't like it, and it has been sitting in the garage for 4 years. She finally wants to sell it, so I get to get it running.

It last ran in 2015, sat with a small amount of fuel in the tank (we moved in 2015 & I ran it down to barely anything for the movers to take it).

Replaced battery, spark plug, and added new fuel, no luck. Gif below is what happens when I try to start it.

Fuel gauge on instrument panel flashes full bars, still haven't figured out what this indicates.

Any suggestions?

Have you retracted the side stand and are pulling the brake levers when you try to start it?
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

If you have fuel in the tank, do the flooded engine start procedure. WIDE OPEN THORTTLE< HOLD STARTER BUTTON FOR 5 seconds. Then try to start normally with no throttle. Repeat.

If no luck, start making sure you have spark. Hopefully your old fuel didn't gunk up somewhere.
2011PCXwtff

Post by 2011PCXwtff »

Inoplanetyanin wrote:If you have fuel in the tank, do the flooded engine start procedure. WIDE OPEN THORTTLE< HOLD STARTER BUTTON FOR 5 seconds. Then try to start normally with no throttle. Repeat.

If no luck, start making sure you have spark. Hopefully your old fuel didn't gunk up somewhere.
Tried flooded engine start, no luck. New plug, have pulled it and checked it against the frame...it's sparking.

I'm at a loss at the moment, have tried all the basic troubleshooting.

Fuel injector maybe? Pump?
2011PCXwtff

Post by 2011PCXwtff »

you you wrote:
2011PCXwtff wrote:Hey all,

Any suggestions?

Have you retracted the side stand and are pulling the brake levers when you try to start it?
Sure have. The GIF I posted has sound.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Found this online, from an owner's manual:

Other Warning Indication

Fuel Gauge Failure Indication
If the fuel system has an error, all segments
will blink as shown in the illustration.
If this occurs, see your dealer as soon as
possible.

Seems to confirm that it's in the fuel system.
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by grndslm »

Can you hear the fuel pump cycle off and on if you cycle the kill switch on and off??
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

If fuel sets for an extended amount of time it could separate and could gunk up the injectors. Put some Seafoam in the fuel take, let it set for a couple of hours, then try to start it again. You may be lucky and it loosened the gunk up. Otherwise, the mechanic may be the one who has to check and clean the injectors.

Did you hear the fuel pump even prime when you turned the key?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
2011PCXwtff

Post by 2011PCXwtff »

Mel46 wrote:If fuel sets for an extended amount of time it could separate and could gunk up the injectors. Put some Seafoam in the fuel take, let it set for a couple of hours, then try to start it again. You may be lucky and it loosened the gunk up. Otherwise, the mechanic may be the one who has to check and clean the injectors.

Fuel pump makes noise when I turn the key on, and when I toggle the kill switch on and off. I'll add some Seafoam, but not optimistic that will fix it tbh. Would like to avoid taking it to a mechanic, is there a service manual floating around anywhere?
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

Spark plug should come wet after turning it over for 30 seconds. Is it wet?

Do you have any starting fluid you could try?
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
2011PCXwtff

Post by 2011PCXwtff »

E. Foster Salsbury wrote:Spark plug should come wet after turning it over for 30 seconds. Is it wet?

Do you have any starting fluid you could try?
Spark plug is dry after cranking it. Definitely a fuel line/pump/injector issue. Would like to fix it myself, is there a service manual available online or will I have to buy one?
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

You said you can hear the fuel pump come on so I would turn the pump off and on 20 times and hit it with some starting fluid. Maybe you can fool the computer that there is nothing wrong if you can keep it running with starter fluid. It might also help pull the 5 year old gas through the lines? Worth a try? I don't know?
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
2011PCXwtff

Post by 2011PCXwtff »

Mel46 wrote:If fuel sets for an extended amount of time it could separate and could gunk up the injectors. Put some Seafoam in the fuel take, let it set for a couple of hours, then try to start it again. You may be lucky and it loosened the gunk up. Otherwise, the mechanic may be the one who has to check and clean the injectors.

I appreciate you reaching out via PM...unfortunately I haven't been a member long enough to send a PM with my email address back. If you can shoot me your email via PM I can reach out via email.

Thanks!
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

I would be hesitant using starting fluid as it is very corrosive and on a tiny engine might biow it up.
Was used many years ago on old diesel engines that were hard to start in the cold your Honda is not in the same ballpark.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

2011PCXwtff wrote:

I appreciate you reaching out via PM...unfortunately I haven't been a member long enough to send a PM with my email address back. If you can shoot me your email via PM I can reach out via email.

Thanks!
Have you checked your PMs lately?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers