Something Different to Use for Applying Paste Wax

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Something Different to Use for Applying Paste Wax

Post by Old Grinner »

Fumbling through my rags bag recently I was looking for an ideal material to use to apply my "Mother's California Gold" cleaner wax to the appropriate surfaces on my scooters and bikes. In the past I've always just used old torn shirts or towels and the like for buffing off the wax but never really found anything particularly good for applying the wax (sometimes the pads the wax may come with from the store have to get tossed).

So I noticed that there was some old gauze bandage material collecting dust in the medicine cabinet that hadn't been used in years and rather than just throw it out I wondered if it would work as an application material for wax. Sometimes you buy the stuff to have it on hand and it never gets used.

Results were good. I was truly amazed the gauze bandage material worked as well as it did. And it was great for narrow crevices and hard to reach areas where a bigger rag may not be so great.

But don't take my word for it.

That said, if you decide you want to give it a go, and have some old stuff sitting around doing nobody any good, I suggest it's worth a try. I've used it on my Zuma, Suzuki Bandit, and XMax so far and no complaints. I tested it on the Suzuki tank, wheels, panels, handlebars, mirror stalks, and more.

One thing I did notice was that as the wax was being applied to the surfaces the gauze seemed to get dryer . . . like it was letting the wax release. Yes, the gauze will get dirty as you go along but just cut off another piece and keep on going. Doing a thorough cleaning/washing of the machine first is always best.

Anyhow, just thought I'd throw that out as a way to make use of something that would otherwise just be wastefully discarded. :geek:

Here's a pic of the wax and polish I use . . ..
wax1.jpg
And the gauze material. Sometimes it comes in larger sizes like if you had a surgery or something done in the past and plenty was leftover.
gauzefordetailingwax1.jpg
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Something Different to Use for Applying Paste Wax

Post by fish »

Life's too short for paste wax.
Try Honda's Pro Cleaner Spray Wax.
Or, if you can find it, WAX SHOP Super Glaze.
Hey, I'm old school, too - used nothing but Classic Car Wax for years. Nothing harder to use!
But new stuff is better and easier on and off.
Smells good too.
Fish
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Something Different to Use for Applying Paste Wax

Post by Jge64 »

Yup , absolutely no reason to wax on /wax off conventional wax. Besides that , in the heat it melts off in a couple weeks. This stuff is the latest and greatest at the detailer sites… Works well, :wash paint, leave wet, spray on , then dry the bike.....wipe 2- 3 months of protection… Good gloss

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/meg ... _0QAvD_BwE
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI