Sticking centre stand

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Sticking centre stand

Post by gn2 »

Spring doesn't need to be removed before knocking the pivot pin out.
When you tap the end of the pivot pin the locating hole is driven clear of the locating lug, the stand falls down, the tension on the spring is relaxed and you can just lift the spring off.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
aphid
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Pearl Siena Red

Post by aphid »

Pleased to say that I have now managed to remove the main pivot pin to remove the centre stand. Hurrah!
WD40 must have helped as did finding a suitable bar of metal to reach past the exhaust pipe to the pivot end to hit with the hammer. That said, although the pivot extended by a couple of centimetres at the spring end, only when I freed the spring could I wiggle it all the way out.
I’ve cleaned all significant parts with WD40 and rubbed the lightly rusted ends of the pivot pin before covering in copper grease.
Reassembly tomorrow. Let’s hope the spring goes back on without too much difficulty... ;)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Sorry if I wasn't clear, as you have discovered, once pivot pin has been driven the small amount which frees it from the locating lug, the spring needs to come off to get the pivot pin all the way out.
Inuse, the pivot pin doesn't move, the stand rotates around it and there should be at least proper bushes in the pivots.
Once upon a time stand mounts and swingarm pivots had grease nipples fitted for ease of lubrication.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Interesting idea. I wonder if there is enough meat there to drill and tap for a little grease fitting?
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

gn2 wrote:Sorry if I wasn't clear, as you have discovered, once pivot pin has been driven the small amount which frees it from the locating lug, the spring needs to come off to get the pivot pin all the way out.
Thanks for clarifying. I couldn’t see any other way than removing the spring - still a bit of a struggle - to get the pivot pin fully out. The instructions in the ‘guide’ are so comprehensive that I thought I was missing something obvious and that the spring was supposed to slacken off and be easily removed. I did explore the idea of slipping coins in between the coils, as suggested earlier in the thread, but without any success at all. Not even one 5p coin! The coils and tension is just too compact and, as I discovered, there is also a smaller inner spring.
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Happy days! Refitting the cleaned, greased centre stand turned out to be a piece of cake...even for me :lol:
The bit I was dreading was reattaching the spring. The guide shows attaching the upper end of the spring at the pivot end of the stand and sliding the hooks at the lower end down a Philips screwdriver. Worked a treat!
Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Couldn’t have done it without you, guys.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

GeorgeSK wrote:Interesting idea. I wonder if there is enough meat there to drill and tap for a little grease fitting?
An idea from a Honda NC forum: http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic ... ent=131295