brand new PCX 125, low top speed

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ChrisP
Year: 2019
Color: red

brand new PCX 125, low top speed

Post by ChrisP »

Hello Guys,

First thank you all for all hints, it's my first post for years, as I often don't need to ask, everything is there already :). And finally I need Your help again. I had got few years a PCX, year 2011. Two weeks ago I changed it to a new one 2019 red one. Of course it's beautiful etc. but... I did already 500 km, and I steel feel the top speed is lower than I expect, lower than my previous stock 2011 (105km/h). It's really hard to achive 98 km/h, I don't feel also this cut off when top speed achieved, strange. It's like that on the beginning, should I be patient next xx km? Do You have any ideas?

Regards
ChrisP
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Re: brand new PCX 125, low top speed

Post by cnikonpete »

I think you will see a slight increase in speed as your mileage increases,most notice a difference around the first service. my experience has been that around 105kph/65mph is achievable most days,GPS verified. It does vary according to wind and road conditions quite a bit,so now I just don't bother about it. I have seen 70mph on the clocks a couple of times,but now prefer to concentrate on the road,the bike keeps up with traffic on minor roads,on faster roads,I just relax.
There is a lot of variation in claimed top speed of the PCX, some of it I find doubtful,there is little evidence to suggest in excess of 65mph is most people's experience.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Put in 13g sliders or rollers.....You'll be in the 70s…
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

I thought lightest rollers are used to increase acceleration, and 15g are good for top speed, correct me if I'm wrong. Another thing is that I have stock wind screen, and in my previous pcx I had Givi medium windshield, which reduces air resistance and so increase top speed and decrease fuel consumption. Will see, in EU Puig windshield is still not available, expected in April.
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Post by Oldie »

I reckon that a 2019 PCX should achieve 110kph in favourable conditions.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Though I have a 150cc I know that when I first purchased mine it did not reach its best top speed until it had at least 1200 miles on it. I suspect that yours is the same way. It is new, so it takes it a while to seat everything. Also, with your location not being in Thailand, where the heat is enough to make any rider not want anything blocking the wind, a good windshield will help you. Keep on the lookout for ones that fit the 2019. They will be on the market soon enough.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

I don't think people take into account we are talking about a 125cc,(except Mel),neither does anyone explain whether these speeds are achievable in a normal upright riding position,what sort of wind conditions or inclines.

There is the possibility I suppose that Honda make totally variable power outputs for whatever their customers want the top speed to be,and the fortunate few get higher top speed,better acceleration and lower fuel consumption than others.

Many of the 200cc + scooters have top speeds in the 70's, there will always be buyers of "performance parts",to achieve an extra 5mph, my days of crouching over the bars are long gone, I do like 120+mpg though.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Thanks! So all I can to now is to be patient and wait for wind screen (Givi/Puig).