PCX 150 engine suddenly stalls and will not turn over.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

HHCanuck
Year: 2011
Color: Black

PCX 150 engine suddenly stalls and will not turn over.

Post by HHCanuck »

Hi All,
I have a 2011 PCX 150 with only 4000 kms. I have owned it from new and it has been perfect until now. While riding in town at moderate speed the motor will just stall to a rolling stop. The strange thing is that when I try and start it the starter/alternator will not turn over. I then wait about 15 mins and it will turn over again and start with no issues. It has done this randomly for a few days. When I take it to a mechanic they look at me strange because it runs perfectly and they can't get it to stall.

Has anyone had this issue?
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

Re: PCX 150 engine suddenly stalls and will not turn over.

Post by cnikonpete »

It sounds like your battery is recovering enough to start the engine. I would get your mechanic to check the charging system and battery. I would suggest your battery is being depleted,then your engine will cut out,wait a while,then it recovers sufficiently to start.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

cnikonpete wrote:It sounds like your battery is recovering enough to start the engine. I would get your mechanic to check the charging system and battery. I would suggest your battery is being depleted,then your engine will cut out,wait a while,then it recovers sufficiently to start.
X2 ..When ignition is on direct short somewhere that is killing battery possibly rectifier . You should run it and check charging out put with voltage meter for positive gain ..If negative then you will know. should be around 13.5 when running high RPM
HHCanuck
Year: 2011
Color: Black

Post by HHCanuck »

The battery remains fully charged after it shuts down. The mechanic has checked the battery (6 months old) and alternator output everything is normal. When the bike dies it is as if someone turn off the ignition. That is not the case as the digital gauges are active indicating the ignition is on.

After the bike sits for about 15 minutes it will restart (full battery no hesitation) and run perfectly for sometimes a day other times only minutes before doing it again.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Sounds like an electrical circuit board that once it heats up , it disconnects, then when it cools down it reconnects. Much like a motherboard on a computer.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I'm thinking side stand cut-off switch or fuel pump problem. :geek:
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Is there a cut off switch that shuts the motor off if the bike is in a crash or goes down? But I agree with above that you should check every cut off circuit,like kick stand,cut off switch, and / if there is an accident fuel cut off sensor/ switch.One of those switches could be the culprit..
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

In case you don't have one, here is a wiring diagram for a 2013 model, which should be the same as a 2011 model. Maybe you can check everything that has a cutoff switch before looking into the more serious items.

Also, I didn't think Honda made a 150cc PCX until some time in mid 2012. How did you get a 150cc in 2011?
Honda PCX150 Wiring Diagram.jpg
Honda PCX150 Wiring Diagram.jpg (320.23 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers