Another School Bus Crash. . .Really? . . . Really?

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Another School Bus Crash. . .Really? . . . Really?

Post by Old Grinner »

Really? o_O

The culprit. . .a guy using his cell phone runs a stop sign just drives right into the bus. . .and readily admits it.

Here's the story. . .the video part amid the article will load shortly. But the accidents are piling up and concern about putting seat belts on the buses is up for debate again.

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/n ... 1583088996

This is just another example of what we are up against in daily riding. If this individual is so ignorant as to use his phone while driving and be totally unaware of his surroundings thus causing him to run a stop sign and collide with a large yellow object with lots of lights and not moving that fast then where does that leave us. Maybe being a smaller target has an advantage? :roll:

Perhaps the solution is to build school buses that would be an advanced version of this . . .. o_O

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Another School Bus Crash. . .Really? . . . Really?

Post by Mel46 »

Yes, I could see that happening here as well. It is against the law here to drive while texting or using a cellphone unless you are using a hands-free setup in your vehicle. Do you think the drivers here care?? Nope. I see drivers every single day who just don't care about the law or other drivers.

That is why I keep trying to find better ways of being seen when I am out and about on my scooter.
Just a FYI...That is one reason my wife does not want to ride in our area any more.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by NADman »

In my province. Distracted Driving.
First offense for phone or text while driving= $672.00
Plus 3 day instant loss of DL. $50.00 to pick it up after 3 days
5 Demerit points (Your DL and your insurance are going to cost a LOT more for some years)
Second offense, things get much worse.
I've seen texters walking into posts, traffic, wheel chairs and blind people on the sidewalk.
I say fine them (drivers) a percentage of their net worth.
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

That’s an interesting thought. I think I read that at least one of the Scandanivian (sp) countries does that for speeding tickets.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

The vehicles today are amazing with all the technology to communicate..Intellilink, this link, that link, crash response etc etc.. All the vehicles have central screens that offer some form of communication. Now I personally think this technology is great stuff, especially all the hands free stuff, but there is going to be a good percentage of idiots out there that will be distracted and not be able to watch the road and talk at the same time.Like some people can't chew gum and walk at the same time. They give road tests for licenses , but they do not give intelligence tests which are far more important than steering a car down the road. When adding drugs , blood pressure meds, mood drugs, and all the other shit we are on, the dizzies get even more dizzy. Stay safe and be prepared !!!ALWAYS !
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

NADman wrote:In my province. Distracted Driving.
First offense for phone or text while driving= $672.00
Plus 3 day instant loss of DL. $50.00 to pick it up after 3 days
5 Demerit points (Your DL and your insurance are going to cost a LOT more for some years)
Second offense, things get much worse.
I've seen texters walking into posts, traffic, wheel chairs and blind people on the sidewalk.
Sitting at sidewalk table, 12ft from my parked scooter....jogger using cell phone clipped me!
Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Recently there was an accident in our area in which the driver was talking on his phone, which he was holding. The car he was driving had hands-free capabilities, but he wasn't using it.

Keeping that in mind, he tried to make a left turn while holding a phone to his right ear with his left hand. What-the-f#@k!

He ended up on the center median, knocking over the electronic pedestrian crossing sign.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Recently there was an accident in our area in which the driver was talking on his phone, which he was holding. The car he was driving had hands-free capabilities, but he wasn't using it.

Keeping that in mind, he tried to make a left turn while holding a phone to his right ear with his left hand. What-the-f#@k!

He ended up on the center median, knocking over the electronic pedestrian crossing sign.
I'm finding now that when I'm on the Interstate or major highways and see someone drifting from the median to the shoulder and back and forth repeatedly I have to time my passing effort like it's a military maneuver. ;)

Just the other day on my way to the Yamaha dealer where I bought my Zuma I had to lay on the horn passing an SUV with NY plates. I wasn't sure if she was texting or starting to fall asleep at the wheel. Either way. . .if she was texting I was within my rights to sound the alarm. . .if she was falling asleep then I was a hero for possibly saving her life. What really prompted me to hit the horn was how long she was in that ripple zone on the shoulder that's supposed to send loud vibrations through your car to wake you up if you veer off (very helpful for truck drivers). o_O

Damn. . .at least back in the 60's, 70's and 80's all you had to pretty much worry about were drivers under the influence or just plain stupid people. But since the advent and huge distribution of cell phones chatting or texting while driving has gotten to another whole level in WTF land. :roll:

Nasty vid but the sad thing is it's so true and happens every day. When will people take responsibility for their actions and get real eh? o_O

JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

[quote="Old Grinner"][quote]

Damn. . .at least back in the 60's, 70's and 80's all you had to pretty much worry about were drivers under the influence or just plain stupid people. But since the advent and huge distribution of cell phones chatting or texting while driving has gotten to another whole level in WTF land. :roll:

What makes you think people on cell phones texting aren't plain stupid? :lol: :lol:

Not criticising you, but I think the majority of people become stupid once they have a mobile in their hands.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Wot is a cellphone?
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

What makes you think people on cell phones texting aren't plain stupid? :lol: :lol:
It used to be business people, real estate agents, and politicians that had mobile phones (and they were as big as a Foster's Lager) and that segment of the population wasn't huge.

Now it's a must have item for everyone.

Ever heard the old adage "And don't open it until Christmas!"? :D

Same thing with cell phone public safety announcements. "Don't text while driving". :geek:

Human nature is a trip. They've done experiments with monkeys to see if they will steal food from someone looking at them or someone looking away. . .they steal the food morsel every time from the one looking away. They scheme. They do what they want and feel as long as nobody sees them they will get away scot-free. :roll:

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Old Grinner wrote:They do what they want and feel as long as nobody sees them they will get away scot-free.
In our area it seems as though the texters and cellphone users really don't care if someone is looking or not. They know that the police have their hands full already, with robberies, home invasions, and other major things, so they don't have time to pull people over for texting while driving. They wait until there is an accident, and then look at the cellphone records.

On top of that, our area is loaded with attorneys and their families. The cops know that their time will be wasted in court if they ticket one of them. How do you uphold the law if you have to worry that you may find your day wasted in court if you do write a ticket?! Keeping that in mind, we see drivers on their phones as much now as they were before the law came into effect.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Wots a text?

Do you do that on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, messenger....?
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Wots a text?

Do you do that on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, messenger....?
A form of communication recent to the digital age that has it's roots in messages produced on a typewriter, placed in an envelope, and tossed in the mail. It can be sent instantaneously and will only be received successfully by the intended recipient if they just happen to be in possession of a digital device. . .preferably a newer one. . .as the treadmill of planned obsolescence conveys all older/slower devices to be declared obsolete, useless, and to be conveyed to a viable recycling center. :geek:

I guess people would rather type on a keyboard and press send rather than just talk to someone on a telephone. . .. Perplexing to say the least. :roll:

And it happens time after time. . .. :?

dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

Should ban them for life fine them £10000 then they might learn
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I agree. This area has a lot of drivers with deep pockets. Hit them where it hurts and they might learn something.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150