Two Hondas

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Two Hondas

Post by Oldie »

Old and new - 43 years apart.

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Two Hondas

Post by gn2 »

Dunlop TT100...?

Bike looks gorgeous, scooter looks like its been primed and awaiting paint.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Oldie »

Dunlop K82's.

Yes, they really knew how to make a bike look good in those days. Now it's all design students with computers!

The G5 had some work done on the bores and oversize rings about 9 years ago and is really punchy.
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Oldie »

The PCX is quite a nice looking bike though. The ZRX1100 in the pic is a 1998 and serious fun 8)

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

IMG_20180321_105342800.jpg
IMG_20180321_105342800.jpg (346.92 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Oldie »

Nice! I like that.
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

Post by cnikonpete »

I had a k4 brand new in 1972,gold and black , my next new bike was the PCX in 2018,so jealous of how bikes survive in the US,or is it a restoration? Beautiful either way.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

Oldie wrote:Old and new - 43 years apart.

CB250 G5, my first bike bought in 1974, mine was red though.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I’ve never seen a cb250 before- is that similar to a cb350 or cb360? It looks like a 360.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Love the CB. Thanks for posting.
Our first car was a white '68 Honda 90. (wife put flowers on it)
Then we had a 1969 CB175 in medic training in San Antonio. Even on Army E-3 pay we could afford it as our sole means of transportation.

Stolen one night....so bought a '69 CB350....which the wife sold for me a few mos. later while I went off to the games in sunny S.E. Asia.
Been a Honda man ever since.
Currently own 2 scoots and a CB500X.
When one has nothing but good experiences with a Honda bike - it stays with you.

We rode the heck out of this little thing, 2 up , all over Mass. Including to dressy dinners.

Fish
WhiteJLY
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Pearl white

Post by WhiteJLY »

Oldie wrote:Old and new - 43 years apart.

Looks like a very well taken care CB250. Thanks for sharing.
WhiteJLY
2018 Pearl White V4 PCX, 149cc
Malaysia
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Oldie »

The CB250 is really the CB360 that everyone else got, but not the UK which had different licence restrictions for learners. My brother and I bought a new green one, identical to the one in my pic, in 1975 but he wrote it off in an accident 6 months later and I always thought that I would get another one some day. So I saw this one about 6 years ago, having been fully restored by a previous owner, and bought it. There aren't too many about because they suffered at the hands of countless teenagers who couldn't be bothered to clean out the centrifugal oil filter, resulting in no oil getting to the head and Honda's poorly designed cam set up destroying the engine.

I can't take any credit for the work but I have used the bike and keep it in good running order. It's not going to be an ornament and I like to push it quite hard when I take her out (but usually not above 70mph).
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

The CB250 is really the CB360 that everyone else got,
Thats a handsome bike, glad it has a nice home.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

The bikes tended to have flatter seats back then. Hence, rider and passenger could sit more comfortably no matter how big they were. Being able to flatfoot at a stop may still have been an issue for some but at least you had room to move forward or backward depending on the need.

Then somewhere along the way I guess the motorcycle/scooter manufacturers design groups decided to put more "style" into the seats. As a result, the different shapes and configurations were not always made to accommodate everyone. Almost all the bikes or scooters you see today have dished out seats or elevated pillions or racing style set ups. That said if you want real "out of the box" comfort it seems you have to splurge for the big touring machines (with a few exceptions).

Notice no "pillow top" seat on that CB250. No buttons that trap rain water. . .it just runs right off. A practical no-nonsense bike. I'd like to throw in honorable mention for the CB160 and 175 also. 8)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have had several Honda CB350s with the low pipes, but I also had one with the pipes high up along the left side. Then I got my hands on a CB500 and boy was that one fun!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I have had several Honda CB350s with the low pipes, but I also had one with the pipes high up along the left side. Then I got my hands on a CB500 and boy was that one fun!
I've had at least one bike from all the "Big 4" Japanese motorcycle manufacturers along the way. Some I tend to keep longer than others. . .. I had an early Rebel 250 and more recently the PCX 150. Both very reliable and both got great gas economy. I'm keeping an eye on the next Forza when hits the shores here in the U.S..

On another note I'm really happy with my two Honda cars. The 24 year old Civic and my new Fit. :D
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Mel I think those Hondas with the high pipes were known as Scramblers. After owning my red 71 Cb350 a buddy showed up with a 450 Scrambler, the one with dohc,
instant envy.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

While in medic training in TX, a buddy bought a new CB350 with the high pipes. We convinced him it was a true dirt bike, and 3 of us rode it through a 24 hour enduro race in the desert. By midnight it was easy to follow it's progress around each lap due to the distinctive blue flame coming from the snapped off exhaust header.
All but destroyed that bike......but then we were all bound for Vietnam in a few weeks anyway.
Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

springer1 wrote:
The CB250 is really the CB360 that everyone else got,
Thats a handsome bike, glad it has a nice home.

X2
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

CL = "the high pipes on the left side"

SL = "up swept pipes. . .one on each side"

I got a chance to put some miles on a CB350 but never owned one. Nice bike. Carried two people well. :geek:

But the first Honda I ever rode was the S90. Heel and toe shifter if I remember correctly. . .. One could take that thing over hill and dale or blacktop with aplomb. Still didn't have my driver's license yet but a good friend of mine lived out in the country with a lot of land and his parents didn't mind us using it. . .as long as we stayed off the road. :D

I also got a chance to ride a CB450 out in Colorado. More pep and similar in nature to the 350. Others at the time were all focused on getting the new 750 Four. They would go the distance without the worry of oil leaks, electrical problems, or stuff vibrating lose. 8)