New-to-me PCX in Portugal

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

dust
Year: 2017
Color: Matte Grey

New-to-me PCX in Portugal

Post by dust »

After a month or two of evaluating my options I finally got myself a PCX.

I test rode the new model and chased local classifieds for used bikes for a while. In the end I bought a 2017 matte grey model with about 5500km on it and a year of warranty left. It came with a top box, which I consider about as fashionable as a fanny pack, but it sure is practical. :lol:

Buying a second-hand scooter in a country where I don't speak the language was a bit of a mission. I had done so before in Vietnam, but there I ended up overpaying for a lemon and an invalid registration, so I'm pretty sure I did it better this time around. The seller was a stand-up guy who spoke English and was generally very helpful.

I've had the bike for a couple weeks now and put maybe 400km on it so far. I'm super happy having transport and would already feel like an appendage was missing without a scooter. Road surfaces around Lisbon are pretty ugly, but other than a few overeager tailgaters it's a pretty nice place to go for a ride. I also got myself a mobile phone mount as driving anywhere other than the coast gets me lost pretty quickly. It's very useful, but I wouldn't recommend that particular model as it's pretty fiddly to set up.

The wife and I took the bike for a ride by the coast this weekend. The piece of road was a little tough as there were wind gusts up to ~45km/h and some dunes had spilled onto the road, but it was quite an enjoyable experience regardless.

On the way back we got a chance to stop and take a photo of the bike so I could finally make this post.
Attachments
PcxCacais
PcxCacais
image.jpeg (199.45 KiB) Viewed 648 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: New-to-me PCX in Portugal

Post by you you »

Excellent. You are living the life :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Very nice bike. Good choice too.

If the roads are a bit rough you might consider changing out the shocks for adjustable ones. YSS has some nice ones, they they are quite popular.

You could probably order them from Thailand cheaply enough, and if you don't have a place in order to do the replacement yourself, I am sure a bike repair shop could do it easily enough.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Great scoot! Great pic! :D
Brando
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: Pearl White

Post by Brando »

dust wrote:After a month or two of evaluating my options I finally got myself a PCX.

I test rode the new model and chased local classifieds for used bikes for a while. In the end I bought a 2017 matte grey model with about 5500km on it and a year of warranty left. It came with a top box, which I consider about as fashionable as a fanny pack, but it sure is practical. :lol:

Buying a second-hand scooter in a country where I don't speak the language was a bit of a mission. I had done so before in Vietnam, but there I ended up overpaying for a lemon and an invalid registration, so I'm pretty sure I did it better this time around. The seller was a stand-up guy who spoke English and was generally very helpful.

I've had the bike for a couple weeks now and put maybe 400km on it so far. I'm super happy having transport and would already feel like an appendage was missing without a scooter. Road surfaces around Lisbon are pretty ugly, but other than a few overeager tailgaters it's a pretty nice place to go for a ride. I also got myself a mobile phone mount as driving anywhere other than the coast gets me lost pretty quickly. It's very useful, but I wouldn't recommend that particular model as it's pretty fiddly to set up.

The wife and I took the bike for a ride by the coast this weekend. The piece of road was a little tough as there were wind gusts up to ~45km/h and some dunes had spilled onto the road, but it was quite an enjoyable experience regardless.

On the way back we got a chance to stop and take a photo of the bike so I could finally make this post.
Nice ride, nice photo too!
Current Rides: 2018 Honda PCX 150 and 2018 KTM Duke 390
Previous Rides: KTM 690 SMR, Suzuki SV650, '79 Honda CB400 Hawk
Rok73
Year: 2019 Forza 125
Color: Carbonium Gray

Post by Rok73 »

Mhm, beautiful Cascais. I've been to Portugal, especially Lisboa countless times. You should ride up to Cabo da Roca from Cascais. Awesome street and views. It's about 20 km from there via Praia do Guincho.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I Raise My Glass 8)
You got your PCX and a Beautiful one at that! Thanks for the photo. I love riding/stopping by the water, but One must be watchful, there's sand aplenty. Not our friend. Never the less, Enjoy your ride and be proud - enter it in your profile (directions are below my post).
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
dust

Post by dust »

Mel46 wrote:If the roads are a bit rough you might consider changing out the shocks for adjustable ones...
Thanks for the tip! I'm sure the comfort could be improved, though I'm mostly thinking about safety / traction with the road surfaces. Rough cobbles on a steep hill between narrow winding tram tracks with a passenger on the back -- will have to take a picture one of these days.

For now the bike is likely staying mostly stock, though winter might encourage a bigger windshield, etc.
dust

Post by dust »

Rok73 wrote:Mhm, beautiful Cascais. I've been to Portugal, especially Lisboa countless times. You should ride up to Cabo da Roca from Cascais. Awesome street and views. It's about 20 km from there via Praia do Guincho.
Nice tip! We made it to Guincho but stopped there - was a lot of work in the wind. Definitely want to make it further up the coast in the future. Equipped myself with "Windy" mobile app, recommended by a sailor friend. Forecast looks way more detailed than a standard weather report, so hopefully that'll help.
Testerpt5
Year: 2015
Color: Black matte

Post by Testerpt5 »

Viva amigo dust, bem vindo.
Um abraço de Setubal!

(Just welcoming in portuguese)