Vibrating / Rattling Sound at while moving at low RPM

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

dust
Year: 2017
Color: Matte Grey

Vibrating / Rattling Sound at while moving at low RPM

Post by dust »

My recently purchased 2017 PCX (~6000 km) is making a bit of a vibrating / rattling noise.

This generally only happens while it's moving and I'm revving the engine slightly. It seems to come from under / behind me, so I don't think it's in the headstock / front wheel, but I can't be sure. There's no RPM gauge, but I'm going to guess this happens within a few hundred RMPs of 2000, basically whenever I give a little gas. If I rev more to speed up or back off the gas the rattling goes away.

Maybe something worked its way a little loose? There's nothing obvious on inspection and I've removed everything but the factory tools from the underseat storage. Perhaps it's not a big deal, but my next service isn't for 2000km and I don't want anything to break from neglect. There's still about 1 year of warranty on the scooter.

Except for a Givi topbox mount the scooter is 100% stock.

Any thoughts?
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Re: Vibrating / Rattling Sound at while moving at low RPM

Post by springer1 »

My recently purchased 2017 PCX (~6000 km) is making a bit of a vibrating / rattling noise.
Newly Purchased so ..... I'd 1) immediately call them and advise about the problem and 2) then take it back ASAP and tell them I don't want it returned to me until the "vibrating / rattling noise" is identified and resolved. 3) I would not accept possession of the scooter again until it is explained to me and fixed.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

.... or get my money back.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

A few people have had faulty cam tentioners - hard to prove I would imagine without knowledge of what it should be like but that may be the cause.
dust

Post by dust »

Thanks for the replies guys. I bought the scooter very recently 2nd hand from an individual, so the more dramatic options are limited.

I did not notice the issue during my test drive and really think I would have, but who knows. I did notice it after a couple hundred km. I have no reason to believe the seller duped me - he was upgrading to a bigger bike, was quite forthcoming with everything, and offered to reimburse me for the slightly loose brake lever if necessary, which turned out to be a stretched cable fixed for free in about 5 seconds by the Honda mechanic.

I've gotten in touch with the Honda garage, who have done all the services on this bike. In fact I brought the bike by the garage the day I bought it just to ask if it could benefit from a service and they said to just bring it by at 8000 km. Either way there's a year left on the warranty, so I'm hopeful anything substantial would be covered.

Just wondering if there's anything obvious to check before I drop it off with them to have a look 2000km ahead of schedule. Nailing down the issue is a little tricky because I haven't been able to reproduce it without actually riding the bike at speed. Note: it's not particularly dramatic- the wife says she can't really notice what I'm talking about when she's riding with me.

I'll definitely leave any serious mechanical investigation / adjustments to the garage, as I have neither the tools nor the skills for that kind of thing at he moment.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

Either way there's a year left on the warranty, so I'm hopeful anything substantial would be covered.
That’s good news. Thanks for not being offended by my original reply, I assumed (wrongly) that it was bought from a dealer. Anyways, since the PCX is new to you, maybe best to take it to the garage that has cared for it thus far unless someone else here can offer experience resolving a similar symptom.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Looks like the usual PCX rattling/screeching sound almost all of the PCX makes at low speed. The PCX has one of the most noisy transmission among the scooters. Quite dissappointing that Honda haven't figured out a way to fix this. It's more likely the glazed clutch pads. I have the same problem, cleaned and sanded the clutch pads, noise gone for a few weeks then came back. I'm gonna try using aftermarket pads next time. Noise gone at higher rpm, also gone when pads heats up. Crappy Honda
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

alx123 wrote:Looks like the usual PCX rattling/screeching sound almost all of the PCX makes at low speed. The PCX has one of the most noisy transmission among the scooters. Quite dissappointing that Honda haven't figured out a way to fix this. It's more likely the glazed clutch pads. I have the same problem, cleaned and sanded the clutch pads, noise gone for a few weeks then came back. I'm gonna try using aftermarket pads next time. Noise gone at higher rpm, also gone when pads heats up. Crappy Honda
Following a recommendation from BPT7594 forum member, he and others have fitted Honda clutch pads (22535-KVB-900) which are found on Honda 110cc scooters around the world - seems to completely solve the judder on take off and gives a smooth start for the PCX - much better than stock.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

alx123 wrote:Looks like the usual PCX rattling/screeching sound almost all of the PCX makes at low speed. The PCX has one of the most noisy transmission among the scooters. Quite dissappointing that Honda haven't figured out a way to fix this. It's more likely the glazed clutch pads. I have the same problem, cleaned and sanded the clutch pads, noise gone for a few weeks then came back. I'm gonna try using aftermarket pads next time. Noise gone at higher rpm, also gone when pads heats up. Crappy Honda
Ive got a judder at rake off at the moment. It feel like the bike isnt picking up enough revs before take off. I was going to clean out the variator but I might deglaze the shoes too
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

iceman wrote:
Following a recommendation from BPT7594 forum member, he and others have fitted Honda clutch pads (22535-KVB-900) which are found on Honda 110cc scooters around the world - seems to completely solve the judder on take off and gives a smooth start for the PCX - much better than stock.
Yes, but I can't find that part number here in Thailand so I'm thinking of trying aftermarket ones. Otherwise, gonna check E-bay.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

It's fitted to Honda click, etc, which I thought were sold in Thailand - there were a few shops / people based in Thailand selling via this site but I can't remember the links / names (someone will or should add that info) :)
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

iceman wrote:It's fitted to Honda click, etc, which I thought were sold in Thailand - there were a few shops / people based in Thailand selling via this site but I can't remember the links / names (someone will or should add that info) :)
The Honda Click 125 Clutch pad part number is 22535-K35-V00, I'm not sure if it will fit the PCX.

Anyway, I found out that Bikerbitz here has the 22535-KVB-900 at a reasonable price.
dust

Post by dust »

Thanks for all the feedback.

I took the bike to the Honda mechanic, who identified a vibration on the glove box (foam padding a bit worn down). I definitely brought it in for a more mechanical sounding thing (ie: metal not chassis), but he didn't notice anything unusual, so I guess that settles it for now.

Of course I can still hear it :D I'll just have to assume it's normal or I'm just a bit sensitive (had a dodgy transmission on a Yamaha scooter in the past). As long as the shop says nothing to worry about I'll keep riding - will have a full service due in 2000km, which I'll probably reach before end of the year.

Haven't notice any belt screech at all, by the way - familiar with that one :D
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

dust wrote:As long as the shop says nothing to worry about I'll keep riding - will have a full service due in 2000km, which I'll probably reach before end of the year.
Not to scare you but do not always trust a shop / mechanic. I like to be on the safe side, you can always go for a second opinion just like you would do for any health related issue when doctor A tells you one thing.

A friend of my wife brought his motorcycle to the mechanic for full service. Went to pick it up and on the way home he crashed as some bolt came loose (think it was something brake related) because the mechanic failed to tighten it to specified torque or whatever (at least that's what the investigation said afterwards). Sadly he didn't survive the crash. His family never sued the shop or mechanic as it would not bring their relative back and they just wanted closure.

I always tell my wife, I do all the service/maintenance to the bike, at least if something like that would happen then you know there is only one person to blame: me. If for some reason I would bring it to a shop I would be inspecting their every move while they work on it like a preying hawk. And on take off I would go really slow and inspect every functionality before going WOT.
Davepcx

Post by Davepcx »

Sounds like the noise I get from mine. I did ask about it on here and replies seem to think it was normal...
It's likey to be noise from the valves "floating" when under no load.

I fixed it by turning up the volume on my Bluetooth headphones :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

patomike is cutting a hole in the seat and will report a similar rattling any day now.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Glazed clutch pads seem to be a common occurrence and can cause the bike to vibrate when taking off or while moving slowly. I am not sure how to solve that problem without taking the bike apart and sanding the pads.

Anyone else have a quick solution to glazed clutch pads?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I don't think there's any easy, simple way to do it without disassembly.

I Have 3400 miles on my scooter, and about 500 miles ago started to get the stutter When taking off......so I took the covers and clutch basket cover off , sanded down the clutch pads and housing, cleaned them with some brakekleen, reassembled, stutter gone… By the way, at 3400, the clutch shoes still looked new.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI