Lights Went Dim on KLR 650

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: Lights Went Dim on KLR 650

Post by PCX150Rider »

Back to the drawing board for me. . .. o_O

The first step to success is failure. Without failure there would be no success. Without success there is no progress. Sometimes you have to say WTF. WTF makes your future!

Makes me think of "Risky Business". :lol:

System definitely won't charge the battery.

Now to think of my options. . .. Damn is all I can say. :roll:

The thing is only worth $1000 for trade in on KBB. Maybe $1800 retail in excellent shape. It's all about the new money after old when it's not a highly sought after antique. Investing 50% of what it's worth is makes for rolling of the dice on what goes next. Countershaft splines? Water pump? Radiator? New rear shock? I dunno. Well. . . it will give me something to think about. In the mean time ride to live and live to ride! 8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

This is excruciating.

Ignore tools, pictures and posting on the internet. Pull every connector apart, and any earth points.you can and clean.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

This is excruciating.
Well. . .now that you mention it. . .yes it is. Sorry about that! :lol:

Time now for a brew and some pizza! :D

And no more pics of tools and tape until I get this situation sorted. :lol:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I found some aftermarket stators with good reviews that I can get for half the price of OEM (and of course the more popular one is back ordered!). :lol:

https://www.bikebandit.com/1988-kawasak ... 35/m150314

Before I spend the cash there's just a couple of other things I want to check first. . .. Want to make sure the regulator/rectifier is good. Found a cheaper, but good, source for those also. :geek:

https://www.bikebandit.com/1988-kawasak ... 150314?f=2
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Got the new "aftermarket" stator today. ... :D

Hope it's going to be OK. Time will tell. The company got good reviews so I'm counting on the reviewers opinions. :|

That said my machine is 31 years old. . .was an '88 model built in '87. The older they get the more challenging to get parts but so far so good with the KLR. Usually I always get OEM but this stator was half the price and saved me about $200. :geek:

As soon as this tropical heat wave passes I'm going to install it and will provide some pics along the way. :roll:
100_5084a.jpg
100_5084a.jpg (376.89 KiB) Viewed 954 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:Got the new "aftermarket" stator today. ... :D

Hope it's going to be OK. Time will tell. The company got good reviews so I'm counting on the reviewers opinions. :|

That said my machine is 31 years old. . .was an '88 model built in '87. The older they get the more challenging to get parts but so far so good with the KLR. Usually I always get OEM but this stator was half the price and saved me about $200. :geek:

As soon as this tropical heat wave passes I'm going to install it and will provide some pics along the way. :roll:

:lol: Global warming is going to outpace this project :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

You do know, don't you, that a full 90% of electrical issues can be traced back to the wiring or connectors?

Start by cleaning both battery contacts and their wire connectors with a wire brush. If you see white powder on an aluminum part, that is corrosion. Get out a wire brush and clean the contacts real well (male and female ends). Then spray the connector with a good contact cleaner.

Next look for rust on any connector that attaches to the body or frame. Also make sure the indirect grounds have a good connection to the frame ground.

Next, remembering that the bike only puts out 12 volts DC....and some really old bikes only put out 6 volts.... set your Volt meter so that you can read that small of a voltage easily. Go to the lowest reading that will cover either 6 or 12 volts.

Also, if you disconnect the battery completely you can use the OHM METER part of the multimeter to see if the wires go to ground or not by touching one lead to a contact on the wire and the other to a ground (bare part of frame). First make sure the multimeter battery is good by touching the meter leads together while the meter is on the ohms setting.

Good luck, and I hope you find the problem.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Good luck, and I hope you find the problem.
Thanks Mel. . .and good advice!

The battery was new only months ago. I put a meter on it with the motor running to see if there was any change in the reading approaching 14.3 volts. No change it seemed at the terminals. . .or I wasn't using my oldie but goodie analogue meter correctly. :D

I disconnected and reconnected the regulator/rectifier contacts several times and they seemed OK.

The bike starts great. . .runs great. . .it's designed to run independent of the battery but if the battery does go dead and you shut off the bike it won't start again until the battery gets recharged.

All the lights and turn signals work (although slowly).

So I figured since it's got almost 32K miles on it and it's 31 years old it is possible the stator is shot. Also the last battery that was in there got used up about as much as you can use a battery and I'm thinking that may have stressed out the stator as well because it wouldn't absorb the system charge like a newer one.

Anyhow it's hot. . .damn hot. . .and humid. . .like where you live. . .and I've really got to hold off until things get cooler and more normal around here before I dig into this project. Every thing gets soaked and the eyes get salty and you know the story.

Thanks again for that advice though. Fingers crossed the after market stator has the right form, fit, and function. I'll know if my suspicions were correct when it's installed and I start up the bike again and run it for a while. 8)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Remember that a regulator/rectifier has the function of giving you a stable current at a set voltage. It may be doing exactly what it is supposed to do. Check the output of the new one against what the old one put out. If they are the same, the rectifier is not your problem.

I will leave the rest to you. I do NOT want to come off as a know it all. I was an aircraft electrician for 12 years before going back to college to get a degree in computers.. I believe there is at least one other member with the same experience. Hopefully he will chime in if you need more help.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I just bought the stator for now. Figured I'd start with what I think is the culprit first. If I was wrong then I'll keep the OEM I remove as a spare and then move to replace the regulator/rectifier with a new one. It will surely be cheaper than that stator was.

Stupid me filled up the KLR tank just before the trip into darkness. So it will be a bit heavy to move off the frame but I've done it before. At that time I'll go through the wiring harness connections and check their connectivity. I know what you mean about corrosion build up.

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks for your service in the Coast Guard. :geek:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:You do know, don't you, that a full 90% of electrical issues can be traced back to the wiring or connectors?.

This is so true.

I'm struggling to understand why you have bought the stator when you haven't pulled and cleaned every connector you can get your hands on first.

It's not as if it was difficult of unpleasant.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

This is so true
Good point!

Every thing on the KLR has been fine up until that fateful ride I took recently when things turned ugly.

The battery holds it's usual charge when the bike sits. . .days. . .weeks. . .sometimes. . .so there is nothing shorting or causing a drain that way. And don't forget that's a relatively new battery. . .months old.

When the bike starts up everything works perfect. . .all lights. . .engine. . .turn signals. . .horn. It just goes chaka chaka chaka varrrrooooommmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!! and life is great.

Not too long after the turn signals will start to pulse more slowly and the horn will get weaker. Eventually the battery will just get spent. So the bike essentially runs fine mechanically but the electrical system runs totally off the battery without the battery getting recharged.

It's kind of like the air being slowly released from a balloon.

It will be interesting to see at the end of the day who is right. If you guys are right and I should have gone through all the connections first (other than the ones I already did) then good on you! :D

There was a road I went down as I mentioned before on that fateful evening that had really harsh bumps and it's possible that something could have jogged loose at that time. . .. And I know exactly where I'm going to look when I pull the tank.

Otherwise if things return to normal after I install the new stator then my suspicions will be correct. This will be a real life lesson for me in "measure twice cut once" or "if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck it just may be a duck". Or something like that. :lol:

Worst case scenario I end up having a good spare stator. . .which although not necessary is not all bad either. They do eventually go. . .not always out like a light but sometimes fade gradually. . .at least to best of my knowledge. :geek:

On another note. . .The humidity here has been consistently over 70% and with the added heat we New Englanders are not always used to this for extended periods of time. I guess Japan has had a bad heat wave recently also. I've been collecting the condensation from my air conditioner to fill up the bird bath. Did I say that already. The heat must be getting to me. :roll: :lol: :lol:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

OK. . .so at least I finally drained the oil in the KLR today and am looking forward to getting the stator swapped out with the new one this week. :D

That said, before I remove the tank, I want to make sure when I disconnect the fuel line/vacuum line to the carb I don't make any foolish mistake. I haven't removed the tank in years and since the gasket inside the fuel petcock may not be "like new" I want to proceed with caution and have a container on standby to receive residual fuel from the line and disconnect with caution. I have the petcock set to "off". It only has "on", "reserve", or "off". o_O

Since this bike is over 30 years old and never been crashed or laid down it is a good specimen as an antique.

Here are some pics. Rome wasn't built in a day so I'll browse through my KLR service manuals tonight and make sure I'm prepared. I wish I hadn't filled up the tank the night I took it for a ride last Summer when I discovered that the electrical system wasn't charging properly. It's probably got at least 4 gallons in it. . .maybe a little more. I usually like to do these kinds of projects with very little gas left in the tank. :roll:
100_5414a.jpg
100_5416a.jpg
100_5417a.jpg
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Old Grinner wrote:OK. . .so at least I finally drained the oil in the KLR today and am looking forward to getting the stator swapped out with the new one this week. :D

That said, before I remove the tank, I want to make sure when I disconnect the fuel line/vacuum line to the carb I don't make any foolish mistake. I haven't removed the tank in years and since the gasket inside the fuel petcock may not be "like new" I want to proceed with caution and have a container on standby to receive residual fuel from the line and disconnect with caution. I have the petcock set to "off". It only has "on", "reserve", or "off". o_O

Since this bike is over 30 years old and never been crashed or laid down it is a good specimen as an antique.

Here are some pics. Rome wasn't built in a day so I'll browse through my KLR service manuals tonight and make sure I'm prepared. I wish I hadn't filled up the tank the night I took it for a ride last Summer when I discovered that the electrical system wasn't charging properly. It's probably got at least 4 gallons in it. . .maybe a little more. I usually like to do these kinds of projects with very little gas left in the tank. :roll:
100_5414a.jpg
100_5416a.jpg
100_5417a.jpg
Every journey begins with the first steps :lol:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Every journey begins with the first steps :lol:
True! :geek:

So I did a few more steps today. I successfully removed the KLR fuel tank and shrouds without breaking anything. A sigh of relief. . .no leaks either. :D

Now that I can see the motor and all the wiring harness routing etc. . . I can further plan my strategy. My service manuals are a bit primitive so I'm relying on my instincts and a couple of helpful YouTube videos I found. When Kawasaki introduced the KLR 650 back in '88 (although made in '87) they told customers to refer to the older model KLR 600 manual and get a new KLR 650 manual that would highlight the innovations. :roll:

Tomorrow I'll remove the skid plate and shifter. Messy job due to chain wax accumulation. After that I'll see how things go and either pull the stator cover or wait until the next day. Once that stator cover comes off there is no going back. Several disconnects have to be made in sequence without dropping the cover. . .hence the strategy. Then one more disconnect up above the motor on the charging system wiring harness. Once I can carry the cover and wires over to the work bench then I'll be able to start removing the 3 bolts for the stator and continue on. o_O

See pics below. . .. :geek:
100_5419a.jpg
100_5420a.jpg
Last edited by Old Grinner on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Looks nice and clean tbh.

There’s a cathedral in Barcelona that could do with your go get it skills :lol: :lol:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

There’s a cathedral in Barcelona that could do with your go get it skills :lol: :lol:
I think I know the one you mean. . .they will be still be working on it long after I'm gone! :roll:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Have to table the job for a few days. Too damn cold in the garage. It may get above 40 F. later next week during daylight hours.

FWIW I don't think I'll need gasket sealer on a new gasket for the stator cover but may be nice to have. Can't see in the SM where it requires it. Also, I don't see where the 3 stator bolts require loctite either but do need to be torqued with care. Need to investigate that further as I've seen Loctite Red used on a "How to" video for a competitor's product. If the replacement stator craps the bed and I have to remove it I don't want to have to apply heat and all that. . ..

That said, I'm just going to match mark the shift lever and spline shaft before I remove the lever and then uninstall the skid plate tomorrow. Will clean up some old chain wax and I'm contemplating putting some black Rustoleum High Temp stove paint on the corroded portion of the engine you see in the pic and on the tank shroud mounting tabs coming off of the radiator next Spring. Will try a few test pieces first before I use it on the highly visible area :geek:
100_5422a.jpg