Brand new uk pcx 125

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

Brand new uk pcx 125

Post by cnikonpete »

Hello,

I am planning to purchase a 2019 pcx 125 to be able to keep riding,my present bike is a Kawasaki 500 which is getting to be too heavy to move around due to rapidly advancing age. Most reviews are of previous pcx models,which is not surprising as this latest one has only just been released in the uk. Has anyone actually ridden one of the new ones to be able to comment on the small increase in performance?

I live in Cornwall, England,aged 64 nearly 65,and have had many bikes over the years,but now need something lighter but able to keep up with traffic on A roads,and country lanes. I did have a Lambretta 150sx back in the late sixties,but have had geared bikes ever since.

Pete
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Brand new uk pcx 125

Post by gn2 »

Like all 125 CVT scooters the PCX is pretty slow and not at all suited for keeping up with traffic on UK A-roads.
Country back lanes, ideal.
60mph roads, reasonably ok so long as they're flat and there isn't a headwind.
70mph roads, forget it, take another route.

You might be better with a Vespa GTS300 or a Honda SH300, much better.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Spaguar
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018 Forza 125
Color: Silver/Pacific

Post by Spaguar »

Why don't you take a Forza 125 for a test ride?
I am 59, haven't had a bike for 30 years and I am absolutely amazed with my 125 Forza which I owe for 2 months now.
It's great for commuting to work and for fun rides in and around the city. With a topbox it offers plenty of payload space too. It has great acceleration, idling stop works perfectly and keeps my consumption low. I also find it beautiful.
I sometimes take my wife as a pillion which is no problem. However, I prefer riding alone.
Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
ImageImageImage
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I'm a similar age and background, always rode brit twins - but bought my PCX150 last year because I wanted something lighter and CVT. The PCX is a worthy scoot to 55mph. It can do faster, but is hampered by its light weight, because (as you know) the wind effect difference between 55mph & 65mph is significant.

So I'd say that the PCX is a great scoot if your rides are typically to 55mph and maybe an occasional short burst up to 65, but if you will spend a significant time riding 65mph I'd go for a bike with more weight & associated geometry / stability.

To me, it's not a horsepower issue. It's more related to the benefits larger bikes have at higher speeds related to weight / geometry / stability.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

springer1 wrote:To me, it's not a horsepower issue.
For UK A-roads, it very much is.
You need to be capable of sustaining 70mph comfortably and a 125 scooter simply isn't.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Medicpcx
Color: Grey

Post by Medicpcx »

I have one of the new Honda PCX (2019) and it feels and looks a lot better than the previous model.
The engine feels a lot smoother and will gain speed and hold nicely. Have not able to see the top speed just yet as only had since Friday.
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

Hi Medicpcx,

Congratulations on your purchase, they do look a lot better imho,please update us/me on your findings, I am intending to buy mine as a retirement present to me,I prefer the look to the NMax,but most reviews seem to suggest the Yamaha has the edge on performance compared to the older model PCX. How have you found the ABS?
Emanon77
Color: Red

Post by Emanon77 »

gn2 wrote:Like all 125 CVT scooters the PCX is pretty slow and not at all suited for keeping up with traffic on UK A-roads.
Country back lanes, ideal.
60mph roads, reasonably ok so long as they're flat and there isn't a headwind.
70mph roads, forget it, take another route.

You might be better with a Vespa GTS300 or a Honda SH300, much better.
The latest pcx 125 in the uk has larger wheels for those nasty potholes, better suspension and better mid range pulling power, the last model could overtake at 35-40mph the latest one can do the same at 40-45 and sits well at 50/55 mph an all round better version along with front abs. I wouldn’t buy a bike to stick right on the legal limit of 70mph on dual carigways and motorways. All other roads are 60mph unless your in town obviously.
I think the pcx 125 new model is a little more capable than the last years model. Top speed without going downhill I have seen it do 67-68mph probably 70 downhill.
Check out my other post for more info and video/pics of the new uk version, looks sweeeeet.
Also plenty of vids on YouTube showing the speed etc.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Emanon77 wrote:The latest pcx 125 in the uk has larger wheels for those nasty potholes
No it doesn't.
The rims are 14" same as before, the tyres simply have a different profile that's all.
Emanon77 wrote:better suspension and better mid range pulling power

Highly unlikely from the same shocks and engine.
Emanon77 wrote:front abs
Only benefit of the new one.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

where? :D
Emanon77

Post by Emanon77 »

gn2 wrote:
Emanon77 wrote:The latest pcx 125 in the uk has larger wheels for those nasty potholes
No it doesn't.
The rims are 14" same as before, the tyres simply have a different profile that's all.

Brand new steel duplex frame design
Rear shock absorbers moved back, with upgraded springs and longer stroke
Lighter 8-spoke wheels replace the 5-spoke design
Larger tyres improve handling and fuel economy

Sorry if I was misinformed by Honda, perhaps you will see how I was misinformed after checking out the link to the site I got the info from... https://hondanews.eu/eu/et/motorcycles/ ... nda-pcx125
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Emanon77 wrote:
gn2 wrote:
No it doesn't.

Brand new steel duplex frame design
Rear shock absorbers moved back, with upgraded springs and longer stroke
Lighter 8-spoke wheels replace the 5-spoke design
Larger tyres improve handling and fuel economy

Sorry if I was misinformed by Honda, perhaps you will see how I was misinformed after checking out the link to the site I got the info from... https://hondanews.eu/eu/et/motorcycles/ ... nda-pcx125
GN2 needs to tell Honda they are wrong :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

OK, so lets get things straight.
Its a completely different frame design which has shaved 2.5kg off the weight, partly due to using plastic fairing mounts.
Its going to pull like a top fuel dragster due to the 0.4hp increase to 12hp.
Its going to glide along the road like a magic carpet with its 0.23" increase in rear suspension travel.

So here's what Honda have done: lightened an already light scooter, made an extremely economical scooter still more economical and given a scooter with a 3.4hp power handicap 0.4hp less of a handicap.

FFS Honda, 125s should have 15hp and there should be a 200-225cc PCX with 22-25hp.

Sorry, just can't get excited about this new design when it falls short in so many ways.

And yes 2yous, imo Honda have got it wrong.
Emanon77

Post by Emanon77 »

Lol someone’s got thr knickers in a twist n go. :lol:
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

As I haven't experienced either the old or the new, I tend to think the new one won't be any worse than the original, I am not naive about manufacturers claims either.
To me the new design of the body is better looking,and for the same price as the old model,any improvement is a bonus.
I come from a generation that thought the magical ton shown on often inaccurate speedos was gospel,no gps to cause an argument,500-650cc was a big bike etc.
This little Honda is within my budget,looks good, is light and if it can maintain 55mph I'll be happy, but thanks anyway for the advice.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

cnikonpete wrote:if it can maintain 55mph I'll be happy
So long as you aren't too heavy and don't try to ride uphill or into a strong headwind you should be fine.
Mine would sometimes struggle to maintain 45mph.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
cnikonpete wrote:if it can maintain 55mph I'll be happy
So long as you aren't too heavy and don't try to ride uphill or into a strong headwind you should be fine.
Mine would sometimes struggle to maintain 45mph.

How heavy are you o_O o_O :roll:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

At the time I had the PCX, in full riding gear and with the luggage I routinely carried to and from work, around 120kg, or to put it another way, about two Thai adults.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/ ... mpare.html
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

Just under 12 stone, honestly :lol:
Medicpcx
Color: Grey

Post by Medicpcx »

Update: Top speed flat was around 67mph
Sits comfortably at 60
With lide stop enable around 125-127mpg
The ABS makes stopping a lot nicer also gave me more control when I had to do an emergency stop from 40mph.
Speedometer is very bold and clear.
Service period has gone up from every 2500 to 4000
Any other questions let me know?