New Member - Malaysia (and couple of questions).

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Pick of Penang

New Member - Malaysia (and couple of questions).

Post by Pick of Penang »

Quick post just to say hi.

Having hired PCXs many times on trips to Thailand I'm pleased to see Honda are finally releasing the 150cc version in Malaysia. Available to order now AFAIK so am probably off out later to order myself a Christmas present :D Only available in grey, black or red/white here and, much as I like the latter two options I always find white and black hard to keep clean so it will likely be the grey option.

Up until the Honda announcement I was going to go with a SYM VTS 200cc (which is actually RM 1,500 / £300 less here) but it's a bit more bulky and I've heard of people having reliability concerns with them. The other consideration was the 135cc Yamaha Nouvo LC. Either way, the PCX release has probably made it academic now. Around RM 10,600 / £2,100 OTR here including insurance.

Only things I'm pondering are:

1) Add on screen (Ermax?) yes / no? I quite like the wind reduction with them and it doesn't detract from the PCX's lines I think.

2) Top box yes / no? Like the extra storage but DETEST the look and they DO detract from the PCX's lines IMO. May have to look and see if there are removable options.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New Member - Malaysia (and couple of questions).

Post by Taz »

If you go Ermax go the tall +25 version which is 25cm taller than the stock screen. There are pics of mine on this forum.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Welcome to the forums!

1) Yes -- like Taz said, go with the tall version of the Ermax windshield. It works much better than the short one. The tall Givi works even better, but doesn't look as good. This thread has some pictures of the Ermax +25: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=611. My bike has the tall Givi for comparison: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20#p4408.

2) No -- I prefer a storage rack. Here's where I got it from: http://www.maithai-motorbikes.com/home? ... egory_id=1, and here's a picture:

Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Here is my rack bought from Wing Yap in Singapore so near you. Its easier to carry odd shaped items with a rack or I can stick a milk crate on it for small items:

iPhone after UK Aprl 2012 098 by TazPCX, on Flickr

Here is my Ermax +25 bought from same-same in france:

DSCF6391 by TazPCX, on Flickr
Pick of Penang

Post by Pick of Penang »

Thanks both for the very useful pointers. The Ermax 25+ seems the way to go. I like the rim around it I must admit. Hopefully the local bike shops will be able to source and fit. If not I can always take the bike for a spin over the Thai border and get it done there (only 2 hours from me and I never need much of an excuse to go to Thailand). In fact, I'm off too Phuket on Sunday, I suppose I could always pick one up and bring it back as hand luggage if they carry them in Phuket.

The racks actually sound like a good idea, and less intrusive. The box is all well and good provided what you need to carry fits inside it. And they all look terrible IMHO, some just less terrible than others. I thought at a push the Givi 340, maybe with a pillion back rest, MIGHT be tolerable. Trouble is 90% of the time I don't need to carry that much, and if I do, use the car. It's just useful to carry a gym bag etc, rather than riding with a bulky ruck-sack that I like less. What I will have to check is what gets left on the bike when you take the top box off, although I hear that they are a PITA to remove such that many people do it once then never again. Couple of bungee cords and the racks could be ideal.
Pick of Penang

Post by Pick of Penang »

@maddidog: That rack looks great BUT what I PITA to fit huh? Having ditched my workshop gear and such like when I relocated (for a simpler life) I no longer have the garage full of tools I had for this kind of thing. One thing we are blessed with in Malaysia (and Thailand) is having hundreds and hundreds of bike workshops, all at dirt cheap prices. If I could get the rack (not sure if anyone will stock that or similar) I could get one of the more reputable ones to do the job I suppose, showing them your process for doing so. I often get a sense of drear when I leave things like that to others though.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Yeah, it leaves lots of room to do it wrong. I didn't even do mine the right way -- ideally, I would have removed most of the old tabs and just welded to the wing instead of grinding the wing down. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a welder, or I would have done it that way.

Taz's rack was much easier -- it mounts the same as a box, meaning you just have to drill a few holes in the plastic rear wing.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Yep, took at least 20 min to install mine, mainly getting the holes in the right spot using my dremel. The shop said its rated for 12kg.
Pick of Penang

Post by Pick of Penang »

Thanks. Think I'm gonna try for a couple of months without anything then, if I find stowage to be a problem I'll look at one of these solutions. The screen I'll likely do, but that said it's 365 days year 30ºC here so I might try just the helmet for wind deflection at first. Hopefully I can pick a screen up in Thailand if I need one, 'Same-same' postal costs to Malaysia is €40!!
Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Black Bandit »

Welcome to the forum. Anytime you ever takin a ride up to Songkhla Thailand, gimme a shout! I'll introduce yall to the PCX Southern Club@Thailand. We rock down here :D cheers!!
Pick of Penang

Post by Pick of Penang »

Hi. Thanks. Been offline for a while. Posted a reply on another message you wrote. I'm in Hat Yai in a few days (by car this time), might be a bit busy this trip though.
Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Black Bandit »

Driving in Hat Yai....a total pain in the ass! Riding a bike in Hat Yai...a little better but still. What you got going on in Hat Yai?
Pick of Penang

Post by Pick of Penang »

Sorry for late reply, bit busy with Xmas and New Year. Got a few friends in Hat Yai and like the social scene there, West Side, Pubb and Sugar Beat. Driving I don't mind, outside rush hour.

Not got the PCX yet. Still pondering on the colour. White/ red I like but white shows dirt so much I think. I found the same with black cars I've had too. Great the day you wash them but after that :) Might go for the grey. As soon as I decide I'll order.

Back in Hat Yai tomorrow and then again around 7 Feb.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome to the forum :D Have you considered soft luggage? Tunnel bag, tailbag or side bags? I'm not a fan of bulky top cases either.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

PCX Commuter posted a great how-to for installing a topcase. Since you were considering adding a rack, you should check it out: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=947
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

My rack came in handy end last week when I returned my kids crutches (he broke his ankle before xmas) to the hospital. I got a few glances for riding around with crutches strapped on the back!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Taz wrote:My rack came in handy end last week when I returned my kids crutches (he broke his ankle before xmas) to the hospital. I got a few glances for riding around with crutches strapped on the back!

Why didn't you use the rack :)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

So literal. :lol:

I've ridden with golf clubs on my back before. That got some fun looks too. :P