Is my new PCX 150 too small for me?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

pattomike
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: white

Is my new PCX 150 too small for me?

Post by pattomike »

I just bought a new PCX 150 today. But already I am starting to regret it. I loved it when I test drove it, but now I am thinking it might be too small. I am 6 foot 1 inch, and have 36 inch legs. Part of the problem is that dang seat. It pushes me too far forward, which ends up making me feel cramped. Or maybe it isn't the sit. Maybe it is just the size of the scooter. I don't know! I can sit on the passenger portion of the seat, and ride more comfortably. But I think that would 1) look stupid, and, 2) my arms would probably get tired since they are locked out straight. So do you think this scooter is too small for me? Is there someone else out there who has long legs that uses the PCX 150? Is there something I can do to improve how it fits me? Having just taken ownership of the scooter today, I doubt there is anything the dealer could do as far as getting me a different bike, even, say, a motorcycle instead of the scooter. It is now a used scooter. So they could no longer sell it as new. Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences and suggestions.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Is my new PCX 150 too small for me?

Post by you you »

pattomike wrote:I just bought a new PCX 150 today. But already I am starting to regret it. I loved it when I test drove it, but now I am thinking it might be too small. I am 6 foot 1 inch, and have 36 inch legs. Part of the problem is that dang seat. It pushes me too far forward, which ends up making me feel cramped. Or maybe it isn't the sit. Maybe it is just the size of the scooter. I don't know! I can sit on the passenger portion of the seat, and ride more comfortably. But I think that would 1) look stupid, and, 2) my arms would probably get tired since they are locked out straight. So do you think this scooter is too small for me? Is there someone else out there who has long legs that uses the PCX 150? Is there something I can do to improve how it fits me? Having just taken ownership of the scooter today, I doubt there is anything the dealer could do as far as getting me a different bike, even, say, a motorcycle instead of the scooter. It is now a used scooter. So they could no longer sell it as new. Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences and suggestions.

Try it for a little longer than a day?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Its the seat, I'm bigger than you by an inch and with a non stepped seat, you'll fit fine. A seat like this is what I use:

https://bikerzbits.com/honda-pcx-custom-seat-4581.html
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

pattomike wrote:I just bought a new PCX 150 today. But already I am starting to regret it. I loved it when I test drove it, but now I am thinking it might be too small. I am 6 foot 1 inch, and have 36 inch legs. Part of the problem is that dang seat. It pushes me too far forward, which ends up making me feel cramped. Or maybe it isn't the sit. Maybe it is just the size of the scooter. I don't know! I can sit on the passenger portion of the seat, and ride more comfortably. But I think that would 1) look stupid, and, 2) my arms would probably get tired since they are locked out straight. So do you think this scooter is too small for me? Is there someone else out there who has long legs that uses the PCX 150? Is there something I can do to improve how it fits me? Having just taken ownership of the scooter today, I doubt there is anything the dealer could do as far as getting me a different bike, even, say, a motorcycle instead of the scooter. It is now a used scooter. So they could no longer sell it as new. Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences and suggestions.
Where are you based? I may be interested in buying.
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

Jge64 wrote:Its the seat, I'm bigger than you by an inch and with a non stepped seat, you'll fit fine. A seat like this is what I use:

whew, that is good to hear, thanks. I mean, it's good to hear that you are bigger than me, and that you think it's the seat, and there are solutions.

I just feel like if the seat had a couple more inches height then I would feel so squished down. But maybe it is the divider in the seat.

The reason why I was ready to do something after day-one is mileage: I don't want to put more mileage on it if it isn't the right sized bike for me. If I am going to trade it in, the sooner the better.
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

I have 30" legs, and it fits me perfectly with the stock seat, so I can see how you'd feel cramped. Asians (who this bike was designed by/for) have short legs.

Going to a non-stepped seat will help for sure; I'm not sure how much. But then it won't be comfortable for a passenger. I guess this is a bike where (in the US, at least) you wouldn't use it for consistent passenger use, so it should be OK once you upgrade the seat.

If you decide to not keep the bike, check your local laws. There are some places which REQUIRE them to take the bike back after a short period of time without gouging you.

Maxi-scooters have more legroom, but the seating position will eventually cause you lower back pain due to slumping and taking bumps to the spine.

A taller motorcycle may be your only realistic option. Something like a Suzuki V-Strom, Kawasaki Versys, etc.
-Jeremy
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

:| Sorry to read about your situation. Not a Happy Place to be.

You sound very uncertain and disappointed. So let's try this. Be real Real honest with yourself and
Ask yourself:

Did I give this bike enough time in the saddle?

Do I want to try another seat like the one member Jge64 uses and has linked me to? If so, am I good with spending more money and waiting for the seat to arrive in hope "it's the answer?"
Or....
Am I pretty darn sure this scoot and me are Not meant to be?

If you're certain you're Not going to get along, then why not go back to your dealer and tell him about your discomfort. He or She may shine some light on your dark place and help in some way.
You won't Know unless You share and Ask.

---> It reads above that member Scottish may be interested in your bike. That's another possibility. So, why not Complete your location in your profile so we can all help you better. Follow my instructions below, and let's get this done and move forward ;)

It's not wise to ride any Bike that you're Sooo uncomfortable on. Especially if you're a new rider. Are you? That spells danger to me. Just my 2cents. I hope all gets sorted to your liking, Good Luck!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
mike11148
Color: Blue

Post by mike11148 »

Jge64 wrote:Its the seat, I'm bigger than you by an inch and with a non stepped seat, you'll fit fine. A seat like this is what I use:

I have the same issue as the op.I have the 2016 model and I no longer ride for more than a half hour due to the extreme discomfort of the seat and my back. I'm 6 foot 2 inches and I have been considering getting a different seat and I'm not finding anything in the States.Do you know if this seat will fit my 2016 model correctly? Is it easy to install?I would appreciate any tips or advice you can give ..Thanks
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Keep the scoot, buy a good used sport bike for less than you paid for the PCX. Toss out that unused exercise equipment and make some space in your garage. I had the same awkward moment after purchase when the wife criticized my choice of motorbike yet every year I put twice the miles on the scooter jetting around town having WAY more fun than getting on the bigger bike. There is need for both my friend. Consider going all in if you're going to be in the hobby.

Please ad your location to your profile so we know where we are talking to. Its likely you don't have the extra space if living in some countries for tow bikes.
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

Well I went to the dealer today and told him about my issue. He suggested getting the seat modified. He said he knows a guy who can take the step-up out, or flatten it out. But what I need is a higher seat so I don't feel so squished in the saddle. I mentioned trading it in on something different. He pointed to Honda's bigger scooter, (I forgot what it is called), and he said the seating is essentially the same. I agree with his opinion about the seat being about the same on the bigger scooter. That one was $2000 more than the PCX, regardless. I don't think Honda has anything else I want. I don't want another dual sport, nor do I want a another sport bike. I have had both, and like scooters. So I will have to make this work for me. My ideal scooter would have been the Genuine Buddy. It fits me nicely because the seat is tall and flat (but they don't have a financing department like Honda does, and my credit union said no dice). I am hoping I can fix the seat and it will give me some height and take the pressure off my hips would are being squished down by the low, sloping angle of the seat. In the mean time i will keep putting miles on it, and try not to worry about the mileage hurting my resale in case I trade it in on something else.
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

Smaug wrote:I have 30" legs, and it fits me perfectly with the stock seat, so I can see how you'd feel cramped. Asians (who this bike was designed by/for) have short legs.

Going to a non-stepped seat will help for sure; I'm not sure how much. But then it won't be comfortable for a passenger. I guess this is a bike where (in the US, at least) you wouldn't use it for consistent passenger use, so it should be OK once you upgrade the seat.

If you decide to not keep the bike, check your local laws. There are some places which REQUIRE them to take the bike back after a short period of time without gouging you.

Maxi-scooters have more legroom, but the seating position will eventually cause you lower back pain due to slumping and taking bumps to the spine.

A taller motorcycle may be your only realistic option. Something like a Suzuki V-Strom, Kawasaki Versys, etc.
You and your 30 inch legs! Must be nice.
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

pattomike wrote:
Smaug wrote:I have 30" legs, and it fits me perfectly with the stock seat, so I can see how you'd feel cramped. Asians (who this bike was designed by/for) have short legs.

You and your 30 inch legs! Must be nice.
I would never ride with a passenger so I don't care about that in the slightest.
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

That seats looks about right for my needs. Are you in the states? I notice the price of the seat is not in dollars, but some other form of currency. How much does this seat cost in U.S. dollars. do you know? Thanks.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

pattomike wrote:

That seats looks about right for my needs. Are you in the states? I notice the price of the seat is not in dollars, but some other form of currency. How much does this seat cost in U.S. dollars. do you know? Thanks.
I will buy your stock seat or trade you a fancy aftermarket carbon fiber (na a butt been on it much) #18 seat
eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by eggman »

it fits me great but im half midget
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

I think Tom Cruise has a 30 inseam, he's pretty much a midget too.
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

i think im like 28 lol
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

eggman wrote:i think im like 28 lol

At least you will be able to get jeans to fit.
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

thats alll i wear
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?