Should I get the extended warranty?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

pattomike
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: white

Should I get the extended warranty?

Post by pattomike »

I bought a new PCX 150 today. I got it for $200 off list price, and he waived freight and handling. My interest rate is 7.49% for 48 months. Rather than finish the deal today, I took a breather, and went home. I need to decide on whether I should get the extended warranty. He quoted me $500 for the warranty. It will add an additional 5 years of warranty to the bike. He said the extended warranty is just like the 1 year manufacturer's warranty. The only thing I am responsible for is tires, battery, and oil changes. It sounds like a pretty good deal. I would never in a hundred years get an extended warranty with a car, or an appliance or computer, etc. But since I know nothing about scooters, I thought it might be a good thing. What do you think? Thank you in advance.
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Re: Should I get the extended warranty?

Post by Smaug »

Here's where you find out how much you really trust Honda quality.

I wouldn't get it. Also, I doubt it covers brakes or coolant either. ;-) Especially since you're financing. You don't need to be paying interest on a warranty that you probably won't use.

The only way is get it would be if they'd refund the money if you haven't used it after 5 years. I bought a 10 year, 100k mile warranty on my Accord. Would be a great deal if the dealer hadn't closed after 5 years.
-Jeremy
Lafree
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: White

Post by Lafree »

Hi, how many miles will you cover in a year, if the panels are good after 2 years sell it and buy a new one so don't bother save 500 dollars.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Save 450.00 and buy a HONDA service manual. You will probably use it when doing maintenance anyway. Its an insurance policy for 6 years. Honda pretty solid mechanically so depending on miles expected in that time frame , and your mechanical knowledge, and if will you sell it and upgrade.etc?I personally think you wont need it and probably will sell the bike in less time. Is it transferable , mileage restricted, dealer, or HONDA factory warranty.Do you need to have all the maintenance performed by a HONDA dealership which can be troublesome for many.etc etc.
500 bucks not a whole lot of money today so its a good price for piece of mind ..depending on above .
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

It's a personal choice. I chose not to get any extended warranty or service contracts. My new 2017 is running fine so far. Almost 400 miles on it and I've only had it since the end of May. I like to do my own work for a list of reasons. My first maintenance will be coming up real soon. . .. ;)

If there is a major recall Honda will notify me. :D

Up to you. . .. Tough choice though. TBH I don't look forward to pulling all the panels off when it comes time to adjust the valves but am willing to perform my own work in order to have peace of mind. 8)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When I purchased one of our two PCX 150s, I purchased it with the extended warranty. The one thing that it did not cover was the only problem I had...the driven face clutch bearing. If it has the word CLUTCH anywhere in the description then it is not covered because it is considered a normal wear item. As far as I know that is the only weak part on this bike. In short, I wasted $500. So, if you want to waste your money but it helps you sleep better at night, then get it. Otherwise, nope. As I said previously, I have two of these scooters and aside from that one problem they are both running fine.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

Mel46 wrote:When I purchased one of our two PCX 150s, I purchased it with the extended warranty. The one thing that it did not cover was the only problem I had...the driven face clutch bearing.
That's a bunch of hoo-ha. Did you fight it? Clutch pads are not the same as bearings. Bearings are supposed to last for the normal life of the product. I'd say at least 50k miles on a Honda scooter.
-Jeremy
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

Smaug wrote:
Mel46 wrote:When I purchased one of our two PCX 150s, I purchased it with the extended warranty. The one thing that it did not cover was the only problem I had...the driven face clutch bearing.
That's a bunch of hoo-ha. Did you fight it? Clutch pads are not the same as bearings. Bearings are supposed to last for the normal life of the product. I'd say at least 50k miles on a Honda scooter.
Thanks for your answers. I think I will not get the extended warranty. Especially if they are going to pull the clutch crap that the guy above mentioned. I have never worked on a motorcycle. But I have worked on many cars. So maybe I will be able to handle repairs on my own. I asked the salesman who is covered in tattoos and looks like he knows about bikes, if the valves need to be adjusted after a period of time. I had seen comments about valve adjustments in the forum. But he said, no, these things don't need valve adjustments. It's a Honda yada yada. Maybe he doesn't know much about motorcycle mechanics?
eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by eggman »

i got excited and thought you was mike patton the singer of faith no more
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When you purchase a new pcx you should get the valves adjusted the first service, and maybe the second, but after that they seem to hold their position fairly well...so in essence I would have to agree with that motorcycle mechanic. Get it done or do it yourself the first couple of times. Then forget it unless it starts giving you trouble, which isn't often. It's a Honda. That says a lot.

As for fighting that warranty crap, the service manager was stunned that they would pull that, because it is nothing more than a word game to the paper pushers, but it said in fine print, "any item associated with the clutch will be considered part of the exclusion"....Yada Yada Yada. Word games.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

eggman wrote:i got excited and thought you was mike patton the singer of faith no more
I got excited too when I read your comment thinking maybe that was who I am. Turns out, it isn't.