How to protect my scooter over winter?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

I haven't ridden my PCX for about a month and a half now because I've just been too busy. Things have been really stressful and I can't see me riding it in the near future either (it takes too long to get to and then get out on a morning so I've been getting the bus, and my weekends all seem to have been taken up with one thing or another lately). How can I protect it over the winter? It's in a car park so will be open to the elements, although it is parked under a fairly low bridge and a wall so isn't quite as exposed as it could be. I have a cover for it, but the silver coloured lining has been rubbing off onto the seat so I am going to invest in a better quality one - any recommendations? And what do I need to do in terms of protecting the battery (assuming it still works now!) and engine etc? Ideally I'd have ridden it up to Middlesbrough and left it in someone's garage, but I'm nervous about doing such a long journey when I haven't ridden it for a while. It'd have saved me £60 a month paying for the car park too :roll:

I'm sorry if this has already been asked but I did a quick search and couldn't find what I was looking for, so I hope someone can either help or point me in the right direction.

Thanks! :D
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Re: How to protect my scooter over winter?

Post by Cracksta »

I normally ride it over the winter and when i dont, at most it'l only max 2 months before riding again.

If its going to sit outside then definitely get a good cover, R&G does a really good one which I used for 2 years on my sports bike, held up fine.

Apart from that I would say remove the battery, keep the tyres pumped to the correct PSI. Or even better, ride it once a week or so?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

If you are stuck I can store the bike in Knaresborough over the winter
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Wash, polish and use ACF-50.
http://www.acf-50.co.uk/acf50.htm
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Are you not concerned about theft? I would definitly ride it to a garage of someo.e who will store it for you. Pick a day take your time and you will be fine, before the weather vets too bad.
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

what about taking it into the house?

unless the place where you are leaving it is fairly safe?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi Emily, there are some good answers to your questions on the front page of the forums...."FAQ" that maddiedog (Dave) posted on winterizing your bike. Nice of qed to offer storage help. Mine is coming in this winter, I got some ramps to help roll her in. Sorry to hear you're so busy, don't let life slip you by.....hope things ease up ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

gn2 wrote:Wash, polish and use ACF-50.
http://www.acf-50.co.uk/acf50.htm
I can recommend that.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

See here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14

I use FW1 wax to clean the bike regularly, it's a wax/cleaner similar to the stuff GN2 suggested... http://www.fw1shine.com/
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

Thanks for the replies. I'm going away for a week but as soon as I'm back I will get it sorted out! :) I had a feeling I'd seen something about it before, but I searched "winter" and it was too common a word, and I checked the "How-To" subforum :oops:

Qed it's kind of you to offer to store it but Josh is now saying he wants to ride them again soon. I'm just a bit nervous riding when it's wet on the roads and there are loads of leaves. I can't wait for next summer though!

The car park is secure with a really high fence, and unfortunately I live in a tiny third floor flat so can't bring it inside. We were looking at a car park nearer to us which was only slightly more expensive and indoors, but the person never got back to us in the end even though we left several messages with his receptionist and on his mobile phone :( It would have been ideal so I was quite disappointed!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Ask around the local bike shops, some have cottoned on to storing people's bikes over winter as part of their business.
Your bike gets professionally laid up and then fettled ready to ride in the spring.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

well you've got to pamper your pcx. mine stays garaged whilst my 4wd is relegated to staying outside, not that we ever get snow here! But the sun fades paintwork :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

EmilyJEG wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm going away for a week but as soon as I'm back I will get it sorted out! :) I had a feeling I'd seen something about it before, but I searched "winter" and it was too common a word, and I checked the "How-To" subforum :oops:

Qed it's kind of you to offer to store it but Josh is now saying he wants to ride them again soon. I'm just a bit nervous riding when it's wet on the roads and there are loads of leaves. I can't wait for next summer though!

The car park is secure with a really high fence, and unfortunately I live in a tiny third floor flat so can't bring it inside. We were looking at a car park nearer to us which was only slightly more expensive and indoors, but the person never got back to us in the end even though we left several messages with his receptionist and on his mobile phone :( It would have been ideal so I was quite disappointed!
No problem. Just let me know if you change your mind
ozzy7007

Post by ozzy7007 »

I would fill the tank all the way to prevent condensation ( water in your gas)..The more air in your tank the greater chance of condensation to form that will add water to your Gas, if there is no air in the tank, condensation can not form. I would add fuel stabilizer and run it for a few minutes to get the treated fuel into the system, you only need 1/5 ounce per gallon of fuel. Change the oil, it is not good to let used oil in the crank case due to acid and other contaminants contained in the used oil, and as mentioned, keep 30 psi in front tire and 35 psi in rear, waxing the scooter won't hurt. Cover it with a soft blanket, then a waterproof cover, do not wrap like a cocoon, you want air movement to allow any moisture to escape and keep it dry under your covering..or if you we're like my brother, you would put it in the living room and really piss of your wife, it is up to you. :lol: ..Ozzy
philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

I will be storing my scooter in our shed this winter. Since Idaho winters are nasty, there really is no chance for me to take it out for a spin at any time. If I start it up once a week and let it idle for 10 minutes, will that do?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

philvb wrote:If I start it up once a week and let it idle for 10 minutes, will that do?
Opinion is divided on this one.
Some say to do as you suggest, others are of the opinion that the best thing to do is not turn it over at all to minimise internal condensation from heat/cooling cycles.
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

for me if i were to store it....i would buy an optimate and leave it connected also a 1 or 2 ft tubular or cupboard heater and leave that on underneath the bike ........starting without actually driving isnt for me......these are my opinions :-)
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

The only thing that will deteriorate really if you leave a bike for six months or so is, apart from the cosmetic finish, is the battery. The average battery struggles to start an electric start engine after a month. So just start it up every three weeks or so and let it run for 5 mins
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

philvb wrote:If I start it up once a week and let it idle for 10 minutes, will that do?
~~
That's usually considered a no-no. Idling without driving it allows condensation to form, but not get pushed through the system. From what I've heard, if you're going to start it, drive it. At least around the block a few times. I can't comment from personal experience, I'm just going off of what I've heard other, more experienced, people tell me.
~~
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Also idling is not going to put a charge back in the battery. You need decent rpms to do that.