Where do you park your ride ?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Docscooter2010
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: PCX Black

Where do you park your ride ?

Post by Docscooter2010 »

Is it just me or does anyone else find it frustrating trying to find somewhere to park in town .As I live in Durham ( UK )
it is possible to park for free at pay and display car spaces , but nothing to lock up to . Sunderland all multi story car parks you have to pay , still nowhere to lock up to . I think if you lock up to a cycle rack you are going to get a ticket.
There must be some councils that have ground anchors to lock up your scoot .. If there's a few of your mates you could
all lock to each other scoots that is !!! Anyone had similar problems , or better places to park ?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Where do you park your ride ?

Post by gn2 »

Make sure you haven't notified any additional security devices to your insurer and you won't need to bother with locking it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Docscooter2010
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Docscooter2010 »

Really don't think I would be happy just leaving a brand new pcx without having a heavy chain or something to stop some
thief just picking it up and putting it in a van , think of the insurance paperwork and no way would you get back what you
payed for it
HondaC110
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Bronze

Post by HondaC110 »

Sits in a locked garage. They'll have to go through my PCX to get to my Bonneville...
There is a relatively new PCX parked at the curb about a block from me. Gets used frequently, has no locks on it and, in over a year has never been messed with. Go figure.
Docscooter2010
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Docscooter2010 »

Won't last long in my neck of the woods , if its not locked you lose it !!
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

ive heard bike theft is really bad in the UK
Docscooter2010
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Docscooter2010 »

Yeah its pretty bad , thats my point ,local councils do nothing for bikers or. scooter riders . They want to keep heavy traffic
out of city centres but do nothing to help with the increasing theft of scooters ect . At the moment its all about cycling ?
We need safe / secure parking !!
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

It’s different here in Lancaster Pennsylvania. I’ve left my keys in my scooter overnight and nobody touched it. I live in a townhome development that’s mildly busy, but even when I park in the city, my scooter remains unmolested. Lancaster is very scooter friendly. I can park on the sidewalk and nobody says boo. I stand a better chance of getting shot than I do if having my scooter stolen.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Docscooter2010 wrote:Yeah its pretty bad , thats my point ,local councils do nothing for bikers or. scooter riders . They want to keep heavy traffic
out of city centres but do nothing to help with the increasing theft of scooters ect . At the moment its all about cycling ?
We need safe / secure parking !!

I think you might just be talking about your preconceptions of your area of Durham. Unless your PCX has been stolen.

And it’s paid, not payed.
Docscooter2010
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Docscooter2010 »

You could be right , shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush .
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Docscooter2010 wrote:You could be right , shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush .

You’ll know your own area. Asses the risk and take your own precautions. Are you keeping the bike outside?
Docscooter2010
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Docscooter2010 »

Where do you park when your out on a ride , lampost , carpark ,on the pavement ect . When its at home its in the garage .
Please excuse any spelling mistakes , by the way its summer now time to get out from under the covers . What's your location
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

big bear wrote:ive heard bike theft is really bad in the UK
It depends on where you are.
Never use anything more than a steering lock where I live.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX
Color: Black

Post by jburner »

you you wrote:
Docscooter2010 wrote:You could be right , shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush .

You’ll know your own area. Asses the risk and take your own precautions. Are you keeping the bike outside?
A$$es are always risky. :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

jburner wrote:
you you wrote:

A$$es are always risky. :lol:
Never trust a fart.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

big bear wrote:ive heard bike theft is really bad in the UK

You’ve probably heard it from our Press.

The journalism is prone to be scaremongering. It controls what we think and worry about and how much.

Real issues are likely to be elsewhere.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Docscooter2010 wrote:Where do you park when your out on a ride , lampost , carpark ,on the pavement ect . When its at home its in the garage .
Please excuse any spelling mistakes , by the way its summer now time to get out from under the covers . What's your location

Not a million miles away from you. Knaresborough, North Yorkshire. I know Durham well as I’m from the NE. Centre of Durham is lovely.

Where I live nobody is interested in a scooter. The only risk may be overnight from bored kids. As it’s garaged that’s not a problem really. I’m not really sure kids pinch bikes and run around the fields on them anymore. Shame on them :lol:

When I park I just plonk the bike anywhere that’s not obviously illegal and not inconveniencing people. I do tend to keep an eye on it though as I’m that way inclined.
Docscooter2010
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Docscooter2010 »

Bet there's some nice rides in North Yorkshire , A lot of old coal mining villages where I live , think the kids or just bored so I think taking a scooter or bike is nothing to them , it still happens . Durham city is not to bad to park your scooter but there is a lot more parking wardens about . Once I was sat on old elvet bridge and about 8 wardens got out of a van like a Swat team .
Be aware my friend , they are out there .
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Docscooter2010 wrote:Bet there's some nice rides in North Yorkshire , A lot of old coal mining villages where I live , think the kids or just bored so I think taking a scooter or bike is nothing to them , it still happens . Durham city is not to bad to park your scooter but there is a lot more parking wardens about . Once I was sat on old elvet bridge and about 8 wardens got out of a van like a Swat team .
Be aware my friend , they are out there .
That last bit is funny.
(I once lived in a sketchy neighborhood in Mass.
Had my 67 Mustang convertible stolen and driven to Hartford 2 times. One night i saved a local family when I saw their house was on fire. The mother hugged me, "Mr., how can I thank you?!!"
I replied, "well ask your teenagers to ask their friends to stop stealing my Mustang."
NEVER had another problem after that night!
Just have to connect with the kids.
Fish
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I park my pcx on a driveway between my car and the front of the house (small UK driveway and home being in London). I used to always lock the bike to the tow-bar with a chain but lately stopped doing it as I use the bike 15 days a month for commuting (so bike semi-hidden by the car as it's facing the street)
A few weeks ago my neighbour came over and said she saw two young men eyeing my bike up - one came into the driveway and was looking over the bike, which is always covered, and then his friend came in to have a look too - they only ran away when they spotted my neighbour watching them from an upstairs window. If that had not happened I guess I would have come out to find the bike gone one day.
Now I always chain it to the tow-bar, far too many low-life scumbags around London and other cities now.