I reconnoiter my winter rides

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

I reconnoiter my winter rides

Post by fish »

Do you?
Today I took a recon drive to the State Park to check out possible scootering conditions after a 9" snowfall last w/e.
No too bad....

But too many places like this today - plus the seemingly 'clear' areas were actually icing from the freezing fog still hanging in the air..

I often ride here in the winter and always do a recon first with a 4 wheel vehicle before taking the scooter out.

Past winter rides....

Fish

PS: I had the stock Kendas off in the first month of ownership - for a set of City Grips.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: I reconnoiter my winter rides

Post by Old Grinner »

Taking the cage for rides when you can't "ride" at least allows for some enjoyment despite the weather/road conditions. The upside is you can turn on some tunes and be warm. . . maybe do a drive-thru at a burger place.

The "melt-off" that refreezes is dangerous so by observing the day to day changes in the road conditions allows you to make informed decisions.

Once the patchy compacted snow spots that the snow plows just can't scrape off finally melt from the salt/sand spreaders I find it a good idea to wait until a good rain washes off the roads. That way it's less likely that the scooter will get salty sand nuggets stuck up in hard to reach crevices or along the frame. I always try to do a good washing/waxing on my bikes and scooter as soon as things start to warm up on March.

That said we aren't always fortunate to get a good road washing rain in the harsh Winter months so the next best thing to do is just try to avoid riding in the buildup of salt/sand in the median line, center of the lane (where the oil spots usually build up), or the shoulders. Sometimes at intersections there may be piles of salt or sand where the spreaders kept running but the truck had to stop for a bit.

One thing for sure is sand is slippery and until the roads are either washed off from rain or the street cleaners go around in the Spring regathering sand for the next Winter season things can be dicey.

When I can't/shouldn't ride the scooter or bikes due to inclement weather the cage is the only alternative. Have to live in the "Now" and make the best of it But I sure do miss riding.

Time for another coffee! :D
Banrain.jpg
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When/If it snows here our biggest problem is black ice. Areas that are in the shade do not completely dry, and then it freezes over again when the temps drop. It is what you don't see that will get you.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by NADman »

Lucky you.
Attachments
7 day.JPG
7 day.JPG (63.66 KiB) Viewed 449 times
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

NADman wrote:Lucky you.
Yikes !!!!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

NADman wrote:Lucky you.
What the heck are you doing on the back side of the moon?!

Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Long ago, when I left Nebraska, I said that I would never live where the weather got that cold again. Visit, yes. Live there? NO! Too Cold!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I managed to get out for a few loops around town and the waterfront today . . .. It was 40 F. and life was good.

The last few days have been subfreezing (but nothing like -20 below F. as in Canada) . . . ouch!

So the ice has started forming on the river and coves.

We had a light dusting of snow early this morning . . . not even worth spreading salt for . . . but they did . . . hence a big "ka ching" and the winter road maintenance expenses have begun $$$. :roll:

So I dodged the salt residue as best I could and wiped down the Zuma after the ride and will give it a wash when weather improves. We are due for a snow/sleet/freezing rain/rain/back to snow and then single digit temps Sunday.

Sorry . . . that pot of coffee I had this morning is still having an effect. :lol:

Here's some pics.
100_5543a.jpg
The Connecticut River and North Cove entrance.
100_5545a.jpg
North Cove view including marsh lands and river.
100_5549a.jpg
North Cove boat launch ramp. Many a pleasant day began there for me.
100_5554a.jpg
North Cove boat mooring area.