TPS problem

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

TPS problem

Post by alx123 »

For a few weeks now, I noticed that my PCX is slightly sluggish, especially in acceleration. It sometime feels like a flooded carburetor.

first thing I did is check and clean the air filter, spark plug and the variator drive parts. Everything looks okay.

Yesterday visited my mechanic for his opinion. I was thinking it to be a valve clearance problem since I haven't got the valves checked in 30,000 kms.

He used an API Doctor diagnostic tool to diagnose my Pcx and instantly found the problem; it is the TPS (Throttle position sensor) malfunctioning and not giving accurate throttle position during acceleration. He said this is a common problem of PCX. Might as well give you guys a heads up. Quite a useful tool I think.

Unfortunately, he is quite busy with other repair jobs that I will need to wait until next week before he can replace the TPS and clean the fuel injection. He will also check the valve clearance. Im still using the scoot, it still runs okay, except for the sluggish acceleration and occasional flooded/choked feeling..

http://oneteamstore.com/api-tech-f1-dia ... -for-honda - link for the Doctor API diagnostic tool

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/2013-13-HONDA-P ... 3137013751 - link for the TPS for PCX

Update soon.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: TPS problem

Post by you you »

alx123 wrote:For a few weeks now, I noticed that my PCX is slightly sluggish, especially in acceleration. It sometime feels like a flooded carburetor.

first thing I did is check and clean the air filter, spark plug and the variator drive parts. Everything looks okay.

Yesterday visited my mechanic for his opinion. I was thinking it to be a valve clearance problem since I haven't got the valves checked in 30,000 kms.

He used an API Doctor diagnostic tool to diagnose my Pcx and instantly found the problem; it is the TPS (Throttle position sensor) malfunctioning and not giving accurate throttle position during acceleration. He said this is a common problem of PCX. Might as well give you guys a heads up. Quite a useful tool I think.

Unfortunately, he is quite busy with other repair jobs that I will need to wait until next week before he can replace the TPS and clean the fuel injection. He will also check the valve clearance. Im still using the scoot, it still runs okay, except for the sluggish acceleration and occasional flooded/choked feeling..

http://oneteamstore.com/api-tech-f1-dia ... -for-honda - link for the Doctor API diagnostic tool

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/2013-13-HONDA-P ... 3137013751 - link for the TPS for PCX

Update soon.

Keep us posted.

It's the first TPS problem that I've heard of.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

you you wrote:
alx123 wrote:For a few weeks now, I noticed that my PCX is slightly sluggish, especially in acceleration. It sometime feels like a flooded carburetor.

Update soon.

Keep us posted.

not the case here..

my mechanic got more than 10 of those faulty TPS he pulled out from other PCX..

i'll be posting updates here as soon as the repair is done..
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

alx123 wrote:
you you wrote:

Update soon.

Keep us posted.

not the case here..

my mechanic got more than 10 of those faulty TPS he pulled out from other PCX..

i'll be posting updates here as soon as the repair is done..
Wow.

What does that say? :lol: :lol:
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I had a failed TPS on my Kymco LIKE200i - took mos. to get it sorted because dealer did not have the Kymco diagnostic plug-in tool. And of course would not listen to my instructions on how to make it appear.
I had it 'seat-of-pants' diagnosed after reading of a motorcycle with my scoot's symptoms (heavy, heavy, banging stumble at one specific cruising speed) Idle, full throttle, etc - were perfect otherwise.

Kymco forum member sent me his Kymco tool - I made a video, posted it on youtube for the service rep. of KymcoUSA to view. He contacted my dealer again and lit a fire. In short order I had a new throttle body installed free under warranty.

Three more failed TPS from the same model year (2012) have come to light on the Kymco forum - which equals a pretty small % of failures.
TPS is not sold separately - so have to purchase full throttle body at $230.
Fish
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Yeah. . .we'd all like to hear about the "TPS" reports. . .. :lol:

Sorry. . .couldn't help myself. :roll:

Seriously though good luck with that maintenance update! :geek:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Old Grinner wrote:Yeah. . .we'd all like to hear about the "TPS" reports. . .. :lol:

Sorry. . .couldn't help myself. :roll:

Seriously though good luck with that maintenance update! :geek:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Scoot is okay if you slowly twist the throttle, so no problem with cruising speed or even full throttle as long as you slowly get there. The problem is evident once you forced it to go fast instantly, so racing a quarter-mile should be a no-no for now.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

alx123 wrote:Scoot is okay if you slowly twist the throttle, so no problem with cruising speed or even full throttle as long as you slowly get there. The problem is evident once you forced it to go fast instantly, so racing a quarter-mile should be a no-no for now.

Would I’t be worthwhile quickly wizzing it out and cleaning?
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Late update

Done changing the TPS, and it solved the problem immediately.
rsz_47215553_2232777156755205_3771693065048162304_o.jpg
rsz_47215553_2232777156755205_3771693065048162304_o.jpg (32.11 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
rsz_47453969_2232777243421863_7195660123203698688_o.jpg
rsz_47453969_2232777243421863_7195660123203698688_o.jpg (43.39 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
photos of the TPS
rsz_47323989_2232777336755187_1721170283735285760_o.jpg
rsz_47323989_2232777336755187_1721170283735285760_o.jpg (41.64 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
cost: $45 for new TPS including labor
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Excellent :D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Wow is right! TPS
Always amazes me that something like this, inexpensive, small, made of plastic can cause this problem.
Glad they pinpointed it right away, that's a blessing in itself! Part was cheap, installed and off you go (as if it never happened).
Cheers Alx and I thank you for the info and pics of this unbeknownst part 8) (to me anyway).

Simpler probs and solves: (yeah us! We've been there done that/this!):
Hmm, Bike won't start. On/off (Kill) switch in off position? Or need lubing? Side stand down? Pull left brake handle?
Bike feel sloppy? Need air in tires?
Smoking'? Check oil? Other fluid? Leak? Leave rubber lately? :lol:
Ya say the battery is 8 years old? Uhh..Need one? Lights out? Check bulbs, fuses, wires?
Smell Gas? Whoops! :oops: We won't go there!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

That Diagnostic tool really made all the difference, the problem with the fuel injection was identified almost instantly. I hope most Honda dealers have them too.
pintail120
Year: 2014
Color: WHITE

Post by pintail120 »

is a TPS sensor just not a glorified potentiometer?
could we not take it apart and put some switch cleaner in it and off we go again ?