My next experiment

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

My next experiment

Post by Mel46 »

I have been experimenting with some additional lighting for my PCX. Here is what it should do once it is complete.

I have two sets of LED light strips with 6 lights on each strip. One set is white lights. The other set is amber.
I also have two strobe controllers and some diodes.

What the plan is:

I want to attach the light strips to the bike in readily viewable areas, white strips on the front sides, Amber strips on the rear sides.

Next I plan on connecting these lights to the turn signal wiring. I have already changed out the relay.

Next I will create an emergency strobe light circuit that will be activated by an additional switch on the handlebars.

Lastly, I will connect the light strips to my running lights circuit, turning them into DRLs.

If all goes well I want to make it easy to install.

So that is the plan.i will let you know how it progresses. I know many of the newer bikes won't need his because they already have hazard lights, but who knows. Others might want to know about it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: My next experiment

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I have been experimenting with some additional lighting for my PCX. Here is what it should do once it is complete.

I have two sets of LED light strips with 6 lights on each strip. One set is white lights. The other set is amber.
I also have two strobe controllers and some diodes.

What the plan is:

I want to attach the light strips to the bike in readily viewable areas, white strips on the front sides, Amber strips on the rear sides.

Next I plan on connecting these lights to the turn signal wiring. I have already changed out the relay.

Next I will create an emergency strobe light circuit that will be activated by an additional switch on the handlebars.

Lastly, I will connect the light strips to my running lights circuit, turning them into DRLs.

If all goes well I want to make it easy to install.

So that is the plan.i will let you know how it progresses. I know many of the newer bikes won't need his because they already have hazard lights, but who knows. Others might want to know about it.
Is this for Xmas?
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Is this for Xmas?
You, Thanks for the frequent chuckle LoL.

Mel, go for it bud !
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well, the bike is torn apart in the basement. I thought this would be easy, but there are always complications. I have one side set up so that it blinks with the turn signals, or it will strobe when the switch is pressed. I set up a diode to keep them from crossing each other, but I am still not sure if i did that correctly because I have to be able to separate them when the turn signal is pressed the other direction. The strobes will work together though. DRLs are not in the picture right now, at least not until I make sure the other positions work. Pictures will follow when it is all done...hopefully before X-mas. :P :lol:
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Ok, I am almost done with reassembling the bike. I added a strip of white lights below the front turn signal post (I have a 2013 model) and an amber strip below the back turn signal post, on each side. I couldn't get the DRL function to work properly but the strips blink with the turn signal on each side, and using one strobe controller for the whole set of light strips allows them to be used as hazard lights now.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures.

During all of that I did realize that my glasses need updating. I had a hard time seeing the screws under the wheel well. Time to save for new glasses. Humph! If it isn't one thing, it is another. :-/
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Ok, I am almost done with reassembling the bike. I added a strip of white lights below the front turn signal post (I have a 2013 model) and an amber strip below the back turn signal post, on each side. I couldn't get the DRL function to work properly but the strips blink with the turn signal on each side, and using one strobe controller for the whole set of light strips allows them to be used as hazard lights now.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures.

During all of that I did realize that my glasses need updating. I had a hard time seeing the screws under the wheel well. Time to save for new glasses. Humph! If it isn't one thing, it is another. :-/

No pictures is a travesty...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Ok, so you asked for a picture so I went down to the basement just now and took a picture. I don't know if it has good enough clarity in the dark basement, but here is a picture. Keep In mind that I have not finished putting the bike back together yet. Sorry for the mess.
bike hazard lights.jpg
bike hazard lights.jpg (206.03 KiB) Viewed 979 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Looks a neat mounting.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well, the bike is back together, sitting in a dry basement while it rains outside.

By the way, I removed all of the previously added lights except my front spotlights. There were just too many wires going too many different directions. Now everything is cleaned up, though I haven't given any hints as to what the wires do. I just know what and where.

I did what Honda did. I ran all the wires for both sides down the right side and tie wrapped them to the wire bundle already on that side. Nice and neat. I attached the strobe controller to the plastics.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Well, the bike is back together, sitting in a dry basement while it rains outside.

By the way, I removed all of the previously added lights except my front spotlights. There were just too many wires going too many different directions. Now everything is cleaned up, though I haven't given any hints as to what the wires do. I just know what and where.

I did what Honda did. I ran all the wires for both sides down the right side and tie wrapped them to the wire bundle already on that side. Nice and neat. I attached the strobe controller to the plastics.

Sounds a proper job.
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Black

Post by ScottDR »

Great project, Mel! Looks great. :)
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Kawell rectangular lights-fork, mounted
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1969 Honda K50 mini trail (first bike, still runs great and in the family)
1975 Honda CB125
1978 Yamaha DT400 (bored 2 stroke insanity)
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I noticed the other day, when I was checking the different ways that it worked, that the extra light strings work with the turn signals, but the turn signal lights don't work with the hazard lights. I had planned it that way originally, but now I am wondering if i should have hooked them both together.

Here was my original thoughts on it. If you found that your scooter was running, but not well enough to keep up with traffic...or you had a really awkward load, you could turn on your hazard lights while riding in the slow lane or on the shoulder of the road. Once you were ready to turn somewhere your turn signals would still work independently.

Now I am wondering if anyone would notice your turn signal if you had your hazard lights flashing, and I wondered if just hooking them all together would be more realistic, since car hazard lights are their turn signals.

Opinions are welcome. I still have to set up my wife's bike. If anyone else wants this type of setup I can make up a kit with instructions at minimum cost.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150