they say most accidents...

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

they say most accidents...

Post by homie »

are within a mile of your home... why is this? Is it because people are too comfortable, too sleepy, too anxious to get home? Anyhow I nearly saw mine yesterday on a corner 2 blocks away. Typical situation where you enter a multiple lane traffic signaled intersection and someone turns left not seeing you traveling at speed directly in front of them.

We should always ride aware of this scenario, we've seen it on youtube, we know how deadly it can be. I can say it's rare as I remember only one other time in my life it's happened to me. 30 years ago I was able to slide a Kawasaki to a stop in a parallel position with car a foot or so from impact. Since then i'm hyper alert entering intersections and people ARE going to do this. You'll have an interesting choice when its a multi-lane traffic light intersection as this unfolds in front of you. Consider the action you'll take and play it over and over in your mind each time you enter intersections in your neighborhood.

I knew this intersection well, I know there's a turn arrow for a TIME then drivers must yield after the light goes full green. If a vehicle fails to yield for whatever reason braking RIGHT just isn't my first choice. That would put me in front or in-line with the offending vehicle presuming they maintain speed and direction and you'd have to assume they would since they didn't see you coming initially. PLUS I'm right handed and not comfortable with a right turn slide anyway.

Braking LEFT is natural for me even if it means laying the bike down to avoid getting into head on traffic when cross traffic threatens. You're not really going to be hitting MOVING head on traffic in this scenario if you go LEFT. Whats in front is a STOPPED vehicle or NO traffic depending if anyone else is waiting to turn left. You'll get some extra ground to maneuver or end up in a controlled stop facing off a STOPPED car.... perfect!

Streets were dry, the Buell is nimble and I didn't brake hard enough to lose traction. I went left around the rear bumper of the offending driver and swing back into my lane just like I had played this in my mind a thousand times. Saved my bike and my butt jetting behind the oblivious driver and still making the transition before hitting the median. Thanking the Jesus for nimble motorbikes like scooters and Buells and live to ride another day.

Mario Andretti would have been proud... who?
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: they say most accidents...

Post by Old Grinner »

Situation awareness is key. . .expect the unexpected. . .where there's one there's usually more. . .always leave at least one car length per every 10 MPH between you and the vehicle in front of you. . .make eye contact with obnoxious tailgaters to get a face I.D. or mentally record their license plate number just in case they do hit you and decide to run. . .only brake for animals when you won't jeopardize your own safety. . .and the list goes on.

I wouldn't be surprised if you got the "shakes" after that episode. It happens when all that adrenaline gets released. Happened to me one time when somebody decided to slam on the brakes in front of me while accelerating up an on ramp for an interstate highway. Had a passenger with me. We lived to talk about it without injury. . .no get off. . .the driver continued on into the night. o_O
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:are within a mile of your home... why is this? Is it because people are too comfortable, too sleepy, too anxious to get home? Anyhow I nearly saw mine yesterday on a corner 2 blocks away. Typical situation where you enter a multiple lane traffic signaled intersection and someone turns left not seeing you traveling at speed directly in front of them.

We should always ride aware of this scenario, we've seen it on youtube, we know how deadly it can be. I can say it's rare as I remember only one other time in my life it's happened to me. 30 years ago I was able to slide a Kawasaki to a stop in a parallel position with car a foot or so from impact. Since then i'm hyper alert entering intersections and people ARE going to do this. You'll have an interesting choice when its a multi-lane traffic light intersection as this unfolds in front of you. Consider the action you'll take and play it over and over in your mind each time you enter intersections in your neighborhood.

I knew this intersection well, I know there's a turn arrow for a TIME then drivers must yield after the light goes full green. If a vehicle fails to yield for whatever reason braking RIGHT just isn't my first choice. That would put me in front or in-line with the offending vehicle presuming they maintain speed and direction and you'd have to assume they would since they didn't see you coming initially. PLUS I'm right handed and not comfortable with a right turn slide anyway.

Braking LEFT is natural for me even if it means laying the bike down to avoid getting into head on traffic when cross traffic threatens. You're not really going to be hitting MOVING head on traffic in this scenario if you go LEFT. Whats in front is a STOPPED vehicle or NO traffic depending if anyone else is waiting to turn left. You'll get some extra ground to maneuver or end up in a controlled stop facing off a STOPPED car.... perfect!

Streets were dry, the Buell is nimble and I didn't brake hard enough to lose traction. I went left around the rear bumper of the offending driver and swing back into my lane just like I had played this in my mind a thousand times. Saved my bike and my butt jetting behind the oblivious driver and still making the transition before hitting the median. Thanking the Jesus for nimble motorbikes like scooters and Buells and live to ride another day.

Mario Andretti would have been proud... who?
Homie. Sit down and have a glass of water.

It's pretty much where you embark from and your destination so if you fek up it is always close to home.

You had a fright that would be unremarkable to many others. Don't frighten the hens :lol: :lol:
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

A vehicle turning left (or right) into your straight path is always the most deadly of situations and feared or should be feared the most. There is no real antidote other than to be cognizant, make front end lights as conspicuous as you can make them, get off the throttle, ready your brakes, and watch his or her front wheels and be ready. Hope its not your time.. Everyone likes to ride leisurely but in today's world and environment you better stay aware and ready at all times, or ride the country and back roads .
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My biggest problem in my neighborhood area is the 'entitled' who believe that the lights and signs do not apply to them. You try to anticipate the unexpected in most places. In our area EVERYTHING is unexpected.

I have seen cars go straight through the light when i had the green arrow to turn. I have seen cars go through red lights that have been red for 10 seconds. I have seen cars make the turn lane, either left or right, their own personal straight lane. I have seen cars back up during heavy traffic because they missed their turn. Last but far from least, I have seen cars do a U-turn in the middle of a big Intersection at 5 o'clock with a BIG sign right beside them that said NO U-TURNS.

What is it that we Don't have to watch out for any more? I practice that saying that says, "Ride like you are invisible, because you are."
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I was thinking an 800 pound bike might have had some trouble in the same situation. I think 400lb is my maximum two wheeler limit. It would have been totally unremarkable youyou if I was on the 250 pound scooter :lol: probably wouldn't even have mentioned it.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

This is why I think having ABS on our PCX is vital. Glad youre safe buddy.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...