why use Top Tier gas ?

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

why use Top Tier gas ?

Post by fish »

While it is true, as some have argued here, that all fuels must meet federal standards for detergent additives …...

"AAA is urging drivers to switch to a type of gas that costs an extra* 3 cents per gallon on average — Top Tier detergent gasoline.
This announcement follows the nonprofit having various brands of Top Tier and non-Top Tier gas tested by an independent engine testing lab.
After 4,000 miles of simulated driving, the non-Top Tier brands caused 19 times more engine deposits than Top Tier brands, which contain more detergent additives than is required by the federal government’s standards.
According to AAA, those carbon deposits can:
Reduce fuel economy
Increase emissions
Negatively impact vehicle performance, especially for newer vehicles"

*In my area Top Tier gas is the same price as non Top Tier gas stations. So, once again, I urge folks to look for the Top Tier stations in their areas - it costs no more to use the good stuff!

A list of TOP TIER stations:
https://toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

Fish
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: why use Top Tier gas ?

Post by easyrider »

Thats interesting..I have been using Racetrack gasoline in all my vehicles , boats , cars, lawn tractors and motor bikes for about 9 years .. Nothing else !.. (Its the only one in town). To date I have had zero fuel issues including my high performance Corvette.All run perfect and Racetrack is not on your list of top tier fuels. Could also be that the new administration is cutting back on EPA requirements and their enforcement of the detergent requirements and the some brands are taking advantage or slacking off to gain more profits. It would be interesting if you can post a link to the AAA report you refer to. Appreciate the info.. Thanks
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Once a year some Lucas carb / fuel injector cleaner works wonders - it isn’t snake oil it actually works. Very small bottle does an entire auto / truck tank - it’s consistency of molasses so add to tank or gas can before fill up so it mixes well. It even resolved float needle sticking in my 15 year old lawn mower. Mix a few capfuls into a small gas can accordingly.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^ Similar to That.
My truck gets a Full can of Seafoam to a Full Tank of gas every six months (June and Dec).
For the scoot's winter months or any long rest period, I add 2ozs of Seafoam to a fresh full tank of gas.

Note: I have never done this with any new vehicle. I wait awhile, past break-in. Necessary to wait? I really don't know.

Seafoam Interest? Wait for a sale! Seafoam can range from 6.99/can to 12.99 or even higher o_O
Walmart, Target and other big chain stores have sales. Even our auto shops will run a sale say, every 6 months.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I've been using Asda (read Walmart) 97 basic grade octane fuel for over 4 years in the PCX - none of the fancy additives you guys mention, no premium or such, and the mpg gauge at present reads 141.2mpg and real figures added to Fuelly show 130-140 in summer and around 130 winter (PCX mpg gauge reads a few mpg more but it damn close)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

"High performance Corvette" hahahahahahahahaha!
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

gn2 wrote:"High performance Corvette" hahahahahahahahaha!
rated 175 MPH.. Id call it high peformance.. and so do they !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RabANwCGs1U
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

Modern vettes can get close to 1000hp with bolt on stuff and some tuning (plus a lot of $$)
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

"Modern vettes" hahahahahahahahaha!
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

Fine, here's vette vs Jag reading for you:
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2015 ... -kentucky/

Jags are far prettier, but it's hard to argue with the power the vettes can make.
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I only use two name brands of fuel in all of my vehicles. I found out long ago that some brands work better in my cars than others, so I have stuck with those that work best for my cars. I use Chevron/Texaco and Exxon/Mobil.

Did you know that Circle K is now switching all of their stations over to Mobil? I heard an advertisement on it, and then a sign went up at our local Circle K that said, "Mobil gas here." ...and it is on the pumps.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I only use two name brands of fuel in all of my vehicles. I found out long ago that some brands work better in my cars than others, so I have stuck with those that work best for my cars. I use Chevron/Texaco and Exxon/Mobil.

Did you know that Circle K is now switching all of their stations over to Mobil? I heard an advertisement on it, and then a sign went up at our local Circle K that said, "Mobil gas here." ...and it is on the pumps.

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

I use Arco whenever I can. Car and scooter feel completely the same as when I used overpriced Shell.

Arco prices are at times lower than Costco and Sam's club.
:geek:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

87112 wrote:I use Arco whenever I can. Car and scooter feel completely the same as when I used overpriced Shell.

Arco prices are at times lower than Costco and Sam's club.

To be fair I can tell the cheap stuff in my car as the ECU adjusts to it. But the PCX is designed to run on the cheap stuff as it’s an economy device.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Gas is gas.. only detergent packages differ from brand to brand.There are no performance differences ...with the caveat that some stations may sell you fuel more or less contaminated with ground water or other stuff that may give you a lesser experience.It all comes out of the same refinery .
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:Gas is gas.. only detergent packages differ from brand to brand.There are no performance differences ...with the caveat that some stations may sell you fuel more or less contaminated with ground water or other stuff that may give you a lesser experience.It all comes out of the same refinery .

Not true. Octane rates differ. If your vehicle gets a lower octane than required the ECU will pull the timing and you get less performance. IF your vehicle is designed in this way. The PCX isnt.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I can not explain the specifics of various gas mixes but I know what brands my car and bikes run best on.

We have used the same brands for years because when the vehicles were new we noticed that on some brands the car would hesitate, and sometimes was harder to start. When we switched back to familiar brands it would take a refill or two before it would be back to its normal ways.

The bikes would run on almost anything, but the pickup was affected when we filled up at an off-brand station. Even our lawn tractor can tell the difference in some brands.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

All raw gasoline is supplied to Southeast including Atlanta Ga. area by Colonial Pipeline that comes from St Charles Louisiana. Once it gets to Atlanta it is then stockpiled in large tanks where tankers get their supply. At that point the various brand will add their proprietary additive package which are various detergents that are mandated by the Federal Govt.Some companies have differing formulas that they advertise ie Chevron and their Techron additive etc etc. But Gas is gas when it comes to Atlanta .. its only changed by the additives that are added and octane boosters when the buy it raw from the supplier . If you feel any difference it could be that the gas station is leaking water or have other contaminating issues. Check out Colonial Pipeline.. thats why all brands were affected when you had the hurricane shortage..because the pipeline had broken .
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

iceman wrote:I've been using Asda (read Walmart) 97 basic grade octane fuel for over 4 years in the PCX - none of the fancy additives you guys mention, no premium or such, and the mpg gauge at present reads 141.2mpg and real figures added to Fuelly show 130-140 in summer and around 130 winter (PCX mpg gauge reads a few mpg more but it damn close)
I have been using Morrison,s for 5 years now,thats it.