CT (Connecticut) Soon To Be Rider

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

IvyGodivy
Year: TBD
Color: TBD

CT (Connecticut) Soon To Be Rider

Post by IvyGodivy »

Okay let me start by saying I don't own a scooter...YET! However, I am NOT new to riding for I owned in this order:

1. Honda Nighthawk (standard not crotch rocket) in 98 which was when I got my motorcycle license and first bike...obviously.

2. About a year later I upgrade to a Honda Sabre cruiser and heavy as well powerful bike. I did sell it about 2 years later due to having a child.

3. Over a decade later a friend talks me into going off-roading so I get a dual-sport Kawasaki and that was a BIG mistake. Besides the bike stalling all the time and starting when it wants to especially when it stalls on a mid-climb on a hill it had no traction and I went down so many times. The last time I fell off I was literally in mid-air and still don't know how, slammed my back against a tree, and slide down a hill upside-down. When I finally stopped and took a breath I said out-loud "F-THIS". Sold the bike the following season. But I didn't leave empty handed which brings me to #4.

4. Ducati Monster 1100. Honestly I think it was a mid-life crisis purchase much like my Subaru WRX which I traded in after having it for 9-months for I am a big guy and it was not the most comfortable thing to get into. Anyway, I had the Ducati about 2 years and came to accept that I spent more money on gas, insurance, registration, service and so on than the amount of times that I owned it.

Well that was a few years ago and haven't ridden anything since. Then at some point during that time-span my fiance showed me a movie "Larry Crowne" starring Tom Hanks. I had to say that put an idea in my head and I really liked the nostalgic look of a Vespa. But that was all it was, a thought.

So about a year later to the present time (Saturday 6/30/2018 to be exact) it hit me: I am going to get a scooter. The reason it took me so long to decide is once you go Ducati it's really hard to ride anything else especially a scooter. But I have to admit just riding on something to putz around, take long trips (riding and/or hauling) and go about 200 miles on 2 gallons of gas and on top of it costs less than 5k is VERY appealing. I don't see maintenance costing much, the taxes please I am sure will be pocket change, registration is not bad, and it's less of a death-trap IMHO; I ended doing some crazy stuff on that Ducati including doing wheelies by accident 2x's.

Well on Saturday and Sunday I went into research mode and really focused on the Vespa's. I really like the look but there is something that really concerns me, there was only 2 shops that sold and services Vespa's in the state of CT; now there is only one. Similar to the Ducati this is an issue for if that business closes I am s******.

So I did a search on the top Scooter brands and of course Vespa was on there but so many others. It wasn't till I saw the 2019 Honda PCX 150 that I immediately said to myself: THAT'S THE ONE!!!!

Don't need to test ride it, the decision is made, just need to pay off my debt and save it so I can pay cash for it and in comparison shouldn't take more than a year to do.

So in the meantime I am going to learn as much as I can about this thing and might learn it's not the best choice: who knows!

Sorry for the long post but I am known to be blunt, brutally honest, and to put it out there honest. I HATE PR and how bad it's gotten, so this resulted in being banned in a few forums, and suspended in others. I do try to respect the rules but things I get banned or suspended for I didn't realize it would be an issue. So I will respect this place and if I break a rule chances are that wasn't my intention.

Would love to ride with others, and really would like to take a back-road trip to Vermont and maybe stay overnight or two but have to bring the fiance other wise I will be in the dog house. She probably will just head up there in one of our Subarus. Yeah we have a thing for Subarus.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: CT (Connecticut) Soon To Be Rider

Post by PCX150Rider »

Welcome to the forum!

As part of the forum protocol one needs to identify their general location in that block on the left hand side of the screen. The whole planet is watching! :D

That said, and being from CT myself, I totally understand the decline in available Vespa dealers in our state. Sad sign of the times. There's one in New Haven and another one (or at least used to be) closer to NY. But there are an ample supply of other dealers around carrying multiple brands. Years ago things were different. :roll:

Take your time and really ask yourself what you liked best and least about your previous rides and contrast that with your current needs.

If you want to travel longer distances I wouldn't get anything less than a 300cc machine. Honda should be releasing a new Forza fairly soon on our side of the pond. . .fingers crossed. It will provide some additional choice to the already available Yamaha and Suzuki offerings. :geek:

I've had a variety of machines as well and can honestly say at this stage of my life I prefer lighter weight, easier to handle, economical machines. I guess I'm finding "Less is more!". :lol:
IvyGodivy

Post by IvyGodivy »

...As part of the forum protocol one needs to identify their general location in that block on the left hand side of the screen. The whole planet is watching! :D
Done!
That said, and being from CT myself, I totally understand the decline in available Vespa dealers in our state. Sad sign of the times. There's one in New Haven

That's where I got my Kawasaki and Ducati.
Take your time and really ask yourself what you liked best and least about your previous rides and contrast that with your current needs.
Well that is easy. Nighthawk great bike to start on but far from a long term thing unless you want a "motorcycle" to putz in, and if you do that just get a scooter for it's more economical and easier to ride.

The Sabre was for power and easier ride. So easy when I got on the Merritt Parkway right after buying it in Stamford, I was thinking to myself "Why is everyone going so slow" then I looked down and said 85??? Sure didn't feel like 85.

The Kawasaki well I explained that one.

The Ducati is a monster no punt intended and a blast to ride. But it's only a smooth ride when you ride her hard and fast. Short of that stop and go and slow rides suck. Plus she puts out A LOT of heat!
If you want to travel longer distances I wouldn't get anything less than a 300cc machine. Honda should be releasing a new Forza fairly soon on our side of the pond. . .fingers crossed. It will provide some additional choice to the already available Yamaha and Suzuki offerings. :geek:
Eh. Seriously if I am going to go really long distance I might as well go back to motorcycles. Maybe a Honda Red Wing or a BMW. But since my fiance won't get in the back that's pointless for it's not really much fun by yourself.

The 150CC is perfect for it's not ridiculously fast, great to maneuver, and a lot better on gas than a 300cc; plus it weighs a lot less. Also, lets say the lady and I take a trip to Vermont. All we need to do is rent a trailer to attach to my tow hitch, and hawl the scooter, bicycles, and luggage.

If I want to go to Stamford I will take all the back-roads I know, and the rest put on the GPS and headphones to hear the verbal commands for the sound of the engine is nowhere as loud as the Ducati.
I've had a variety of machines as well and can honestly say at this stage of my life I prefer lighter weight, easier to handle, economical machines. I guess I'm finding "Less is more!". :lol:
That is where I am in my life. At 44 and having my crotch-rocket and my WRX I got the whole sporty thing out of my system. In fact if I wanted a real toy I would prefer a Wrangler over anything else. But spending 30k for a toy to me doesn't make sense when we need new windows and stuff. But 5k (bike and extras) makes sense as a toy. Hell I paid over 2k for my Fender P-Bass Elite.
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

Welcome to the forum from Colorado! Your story sounds very familiar, so I think you'll find some kindred spirits here.
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

IvyGodivy wrote:once you go Ducati it's really hard to ride anything else
Nonsense, in no particular order...

Bikes:
Suzuki TL1000S
Suzuki TL1000R
Suzuki SV650
Suzuki SV650S
Suzuki SFV650
Suzuki V-Strom 1000
Suzuki V-Strom 650
Honda VTR250
Honda VTR1000
Honda VTR1000SP1/2
Honda Varadero 1000
Kawasaki KLV1000
Cagiva Raptor 1000
Cagiva Raptor 650
KTM Super Duke
KTM RC8
Aprilia Caponord 1200
Aprilia Mana 850

Scooters:
Gilera GP800
Aprilia SRV850
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
IvyGodivy

Post by IvyGodivy »

I don’t see a Ducati on that list.

gn2 wrote:
IvyGodivy wrote:once you go Ducati it's really hard to ride anything else
Nonsense, in no particular order...

Bikes:
Suzuki TL1000S
Suzuki TL1000R
Suzuki SV650
Suzuki SV650S
Suzuki SFV650
Suzuki V-Strom 1000
Suzuki V-Strom 650
Honda VTR250
Honda VTR1000
Honda VTR1000SP1/2
Honda Varadero 1000
Kawasaki KLV1000
Cagiva Raptor 1000
Cagiva Raptor 650
KTM Super Duke
KTM RC8
Aprilia Caponord 1200
Aprilia Mana 850

Scooters:
Gilera GP800
Aprilia SRV850
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The list shows you don't need to suffer the Ducati experience to enjoy the Ducati experience ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I'd be pissed off if I found a Ducati.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

There's not many of them I like, but two of the ones I do are in my top five motorbikes.
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by NADman »

gn2 wrote:There's not many of them I like, but two of the ones I do are in my top five motorbikes.
OK. Let's see the 'Top Five'.
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

NADman wrote:
gn2 wrote:There's not many of them I like, but two of the ones I do are in my top five motorbikes.
OK. Let's see the 'Top Five'.

That's not a bad idea..difficult and changes though.

Kawasaki Ke175b3
Kawasaki H1a
Yamaha RD350b
Honda Goldwing, first model in yellow
Fantic Caballero
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Haven't been able to find good pictures of all of them, but these are my all time (firm) favourites and what I would buy if I ever won big on the lottery:

Number 1 Ducati 900SS bevel drive desmo

Number 2 Honda VFR750R aka RC30

Number 3 Laverda Jota original 180 crank model

Number 4 Suzuki GSX1000S (the proddy racer homologation model with slide carbs and high-lift cams)

Number 5 Ducati Darmah (with luggage box tail not the ugly whale tail)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I considered the Jota, RC30 and the Katana.

And a CBX1000. And a Russ Collins GS1000.

Old green Z650 would do me.

Passed a nice 400-4 today in yellow. Dunstall pipe, sounded lovely.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Local(ish) bike shop to me has this for sale: https://www.kdykawasaki.com/inventory-d ... ode=UZ0884

400/4 is/was a wee beauty, mate of mine had a yellow one but he didn't get to ride it much because shortly after he bought it he died suddenly of renal failure.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

And I want a Quasar in my dream garage with a Fibrefab dune buggy and a Bond Bug.

Munch Mammot, a nice purple and white Trident and incredibly a HD flat tracker or even an XLCR :oops:

And an early kettle
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

XLCR...? Less embarrasing being caught shagging a sheep.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Local(ish) bike shop to me has this for sale: https://www.kdykawasaki.com/inventory-d ... ode=UZ0884

That is nice. I might have to get something like this when the boxer cup gets too much.

I'm working on an import (Colorado) Ke175 at the moment. Sporadically.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:XLCR...? Less embarrasing being caught shagging a sheep.

Not really in Yorkshire.

I used to stare at the adverts in Cycle World during my lunch break.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

They don't do bike adverts like Coburn & Hughes used to.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Number 3 Laverda Jota original 180 crank model
The Laverda 750 was a nice machine back in the day also. . .. Never got a chance to ride one but there was a racing model on display at a party I attended long ago and the owner showed the results of ground clearance issues where the engine dragged on the pavement thus causing some flat spots. A lot of WOT and go for the gusto. 8)

And whatever happened to the Kawasaki W650?

They brought it back briefly a few years ago and then it vanished again. About as British as a Japanese bike ever got I think. If they did another retro production I'd seriously consider one and downsize from my GSF 1200S. The carbs aren't Amals and the gauges aren't Smiths but it sure looks good! 8)