New PCX 1 Month use review

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Medicpcx
Year: 2018
Color: Grey

New PCX 1 Month use review

Post by Medicpcx »

So a month ago I got the New PCX with ABS so decided to review the first month.
In the month I have done around 400 miles on a variety of roads including motorways.

The lowest MPG with I have had is 123 after 20 miles of motorway driving, The best MPG was 129.3 on every day riding on a variety of roads from 20-50 miles per hour. The average has been 128-129. (All with Idling Stop activated.

Handling is very good and responsive with it being able to easily weave through traffic.
Lights are a lot better with massive improvements to the rear lights.

Digital speedometer is very clear to read and responds very quickly to changes. The speedometer is able to show Miles and Kilometers per hours and can be easily changed between the two.
The clock is also now easier to change with it going up in hours intervals rather than 10 minutes as before.

Max speed displayed was 73mph what is around 65mph in real life. As with all vehicles there is a difference of around 5-10% between displayed and actual.

Breaking is a lot better than previous models especially with emergency stop. Breaking is a lot smoother but is quicker. Yet to test on wet road surface but can already tell it will be a lot better.

Under seat Storage is larger, depending on helmet may fit under seat but uses mine for equipment.
Glovebox is slightly larger able to possibly hold a few small items, height wise. Still has 12v socket but does need to be open to use.

Servicing period changed. 1st service still at 600 but then at 4000 instead of 2500.

Any additional questions add bellow and I will try and answer them.
Pictures to follow some time soon.
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

Re: New PCX 1 Month use review

Post by cnikonpete »

Thanks Medicpcx

great information,I am hoping to get mine in a couple of weeks,what are you doing for security? I'm thinking of disc lock,but others suggest chain etc.

I think I will get the dealers to do 600 ml service,then see if I am happy to do 4,000 ml service myself,although it will be 12 months as I won't be doing any where near that mileage.

Really pleased that you are enjoying your PCX so much,making me confident of my purchase.

All the best and thanks again
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Max speed displayed was 73mph what is around 65mph in real life. As with all vehicles there is a difference of around 5-10% between displayed and actual.
I’m thinking the scooter magazine reviews I’ve read indicated kudos to previous years PCX speedometers being very close to actual GPS. Interesting this model is that far off. 8 mph high at 65 is @12% off.
erisaman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015/Forza 300
Color: Pearl White

Post by erisaman »

Thank you for that review - the first I've read from an UK owner.

And yes, special thanks for the mention of ...."The speedometer is able to show Miles and Kilometers per hours and can be easily changed between the two." I appreciated that ;) .
If you don't stand for something - you'll fall for anything.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

ive had mine for a little over a week now ive ridden 110 miles so far i love it. Its real easy to handle which for me is important im 63 and i have arthritis
Medicpcx

Post by Medicpcx »

cnikonpete wrote:what are you doing for security? I'm thinking of disc lock,but others suggest chain etc.
All depends on the situation for me.
I got Datatag fitted as with all the bikes I have owned.

The minimum I use for example a quick stop to run into a shop, when in the garage, in secure parking at work I use an ABUS insurance lock through one of the spokes, not that good but gives a quick method if only leaving for a few minutes or somewhere secure.

The next level I use is the ABUS and an Oxford Boss with an Krytonight cable between the lock on the wheel through the centre and side stand.

Third level I use is the ABUS, Oxford Boss, Cable and Chain what will be to something solid.

To me the security all depends on the situation and where I am.
Where possible try and park somewhere busy where a lot of people will be passing and lock up around and see if CCTV is about as that is two things theifs hate.
Medicpcx

Post by Medicpcx »

springer1 wrote:
I’m thinking the scooter magazine reviews I’ve read indicated kudos to previous years PCX speedometers being very close to actual GPS. Interesting this model is that far off. 8 mph high at 65 is @12% off.
I is roughly what it actually is as I could be 2-3mph off as it was only at the top speed for a few seconds. The reason they are saying it is closer is as you are given an actual number rather than trying to guess where it is as with a classic speedo is that the speed can be different depending on the angle you look at.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Medicpcx wrote:
springer1 wrote:
I is roughly what it actually is as I could be 2-3mph off as it was only at the top speed for a few seconds. The reason they are saying it is closer is as you are given an actual number rather than trying to guess where it is as with a classic speedo is that the speed can be different depending on the angle you look at.

Parallax error it's called.

Mind you back in the day some speedo needles could vibrate so much working out your speed to the nearest 10 to 20 mph could be an issue :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I don't know if you have the model that has the different size tires from previous models but if so they could cause an error in your speedometer.

My 2013 PCX 150 model speedometer is off about 10% until I reach 45 mph. Then the error starts dropping and is right on the money at 75 mph now (GPS checked). At 67 mph indicated, GPS said that it was really doing 64 mph.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Medicpcx

Post by Medicpcx »

I am just going by roughly what I have noticed. It is one if the new models with slightly larger wheels. But will do some more advanced testing during the summer.
Medicpcx

Post by Medicpcx »

So after some testing I can confirm on my PCX speed displayed to actual speed is as follows.
21mph displayed = 20mph actual
32mph displayed = 30mph actual
43mph displayed = 40mph actual
54mph displayed = 50mph actual
64mph displayed = 60mph actual

This data is from test using the displayed speed to a GPS speedometer with the speed being maintained for at least 1 minute with it being repeated twice.
Medicpcx

Post by Medicpcx »

Disclamer: The above figures are from personal experience and should not be used as official data. A number of things can change the gap between displayed and actual speed. Please remember it is a speed limit not a speed target.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Medicpcx wrote:Disclamer: The above figures are from personal experience and should not be used as official data. A number of things can change the gap between displayed and actual speed. Please remember it is a speed limit not a speed target.
Numbers posted in my Ohio burg are the.minimums, apparently. Wise drivers add 15 to 20% more, to lessen gun play.
Fish
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

Medicpcx wrote:So after some testing I can confirm on my PCX speed displayed to actual speed is as follows.
21mph displayed = 20mph actual
32mph displayed = 30mph actual
43mph displayed = 40mph actual
54mph displayed = 50mph actual
64mph displayed = 60mph actual

This data is from test using the displayed speed to a GPS speedometer with the speed being maintained for at least 1 minute with it being repeated twice.
Thanks for making the effort to compile this !
JustPassinThru
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011

Post by JustPassinThru »

Mel46 wrote:I don't know if you have the model that has the different size tires from previous models but if so they could cause an error in your speedometer.

My 2013 PCX 150 model speedometer is off about 10% until I reach 45 mph. Then the error starts dropping and is right on the money at 75 mph now (GPS checked). At 67 mph indicated, GPS said that it was really doing 64 mph.
Uh...how do you get it up to 75?

My new-to-me 150 tops out at 65. And that's with a tailwind.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150

Post by homie »

I love it! and want one.... sooooooo I need to sell my 2015
bye, bye precious hello PRECIOUS the 2nd
Medicpcx

Post by Medicpcx »

JustPassinThru wrote:
Uh...how do you get it up to 75?

My new-to-me 150 tops out at 65. And that's with a tailwind.
It was on a motorway with a bit of a down wards hill and was pretty tucked in and low to get little wind resistant.
djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015

Post by djbass »

Medicpcx, add photos, interesting to see. PCX 2018 has an excellent dashboard and looks very modern, it is a pity that it can not be placed in the previous generation 2014-2017.
Medicpcx

Post by Medicpcx »

djbass wrote:Medicpcx, add photos, interesting to see. PCX 2018 has an excellent dashboard and looks very modern, it is a pity that it can not be placed in the previous generation 2014-2017.
Planning to add photos soon
Medicpcx

Post by Medicpcx »

djbass wrote:Medicpcx, add photos, interesting to see. PCX 2018 has an excellent dashboard and looks very modern, it is a pity that it can not be placed in the previous generation 2014-2017.
Pictures now added in new post in General Section of Honda PCX.