Public Service Announcement...

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Public Service Announcement...

Post by homie »

Home Depot is mailing out their new (chip) card and has incurred my full rath today o_O

First the envelope was intentionally designed to look discrete (verified by their representative today)
So I toss it out like all other junk mail.

But you know me i'm a curious one so before I walk away pick it back up and open it.
I see a smooth (non-raised digit CC) that looks just like junk cards the RNC mails out.
So I toss it back in the trash can.

Later I get curious once again and read the attached letter.
LOOK AT HOW STUPID THESE PEOPLE ARE!

I called these morons and ask why in the hell they would risk my good credit rating by mailing a FULLY ACTIVATED credit card in an ADDRESS SERVICE REQUESTED envelope that clearly mimics junk mail?

Fully at the mercy of the sanitation department of Chicago to defend my good credit rating I was livid and reamed some poor representative today and I hope some of you do the same when you get this new card.

The only defense Home Depot will give in their incompetence and careless business practice is that the teenage casher should ask for proper ID when using the card by which I promptly responded... that has NEVER happen in all my years as a customer.

Call this number and express your concern or cancel your account because they totally don't deserve our patronage or respect our security.
Home Depot credit card customer service 1-800-677-0232
Attachments
HD.jpg
HD.jpg (182.64 KiB) Viewed 789 times
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: Public Service Announcement...

Post by easyrider »

Yes,that's crazy Mon!Most of those cards I get require an activation phone call where info is then verified.Home Depot definitely needs some home improvements.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

Chill yourself with the tune of all tunes...

https://youtu.be/BHIo6qwJarI
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Chill yourself with the tune of all tunes...
A Fender "Telecaster". . .oh yes. . .and Ludwig Drums. . .oh yeah!!!
Home Depot is mailing out their new (chip) card and has incurred my full rath today o_O
I got rid of all my store cards a long time ago. . .too many mergers and acquisitions. . .too many hands in the data till. You can keep or cancel the account with them. . .up to you. Monitor your credit vigorously moving forward. You can also choose to freeze your credit. It will have side effects. . .do some research. . .for example insurance companies need to access your credit reports to give you a quote on insurance. Just keep the absolute minimum amount of credit cards you need and don't carry them around with you unless you need to use them. . .or get one of those shield pockets for them so a sniping data thief can't zero in on it for the low hanging fruit. Just a few thoughts IMHO. 8)
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

I used to have a few credit cards, after listening to some of Dave Rameys videos, I cancelled them all. Its cash or go without for me. Worth a listen if your interested.
Only downside is I dont get the fan mail I used too :D but I have more money.

https://youtu.be/PBzbCbM9ziE
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

MikeP wrote:I used to have a few credit cards, after listening to some of Dave Rameys videos, I cancelled them all. Its cash or go without for me. Worth a listen if your interested.
Only downside is I dont get the fan mail I used too :D but I have more money.

I agree I only use one card as well (debit). Although some like to get points and discounts using a credit card but I choose to forego those perks for a simpler deal. The debit card I use is set up where as I get an alert every time the card is used via email or text. I also have a maximum amount that I choose that can be withdrawn on a daily basis and also have the ability to shut off the card and turn it on via smart phone or computer. So there are many safety features if it were to be stolen or used without my knowledge or scammed with a scanner or theft. Works well.The same card can also be used as a credit card if desired by just pushing credit instead of debit on the transaction scanner in the store or place of business.One card does it all and I can carry a thin wallet that comes in handy when riding .
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

As mad as am for their lazy security I'll keep the account. Zero balance, same as cash and never pay interest is how I use it. I just don't understand how they can afford the fraud, maybe because it only has a 7k max. It almost seems like there is money to be made by allowing theft in the banking industry. Worlds gone crazy.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Quite a few years ago Home Depot had a data breach. At that time we decided that we didn't need them as much as they needed us, so we cancelled the card and closed the account.

We only use 2 cards. One of them is a debit card. The other is a Visa card from the same place we do our banking (Credit Union). On the Visa we set a limit to $3,000 total. We only use it for surprise problems that come up.

One of our dogs was real sick recently. After testing and meds the vet bill was quite a bit... she was diagnosed with Cushings Disease. Who goes to the vet expecting a huge bill? Luckily, we do our best to keep that card down as close to zero as possible, so we were able to pay for her meds etc.

We have had our days in the past when we were slaves to debt. It is easy to do. There are a lot of things out there to tempt us. But we don't like debt. We drive two older cars. We paid cash for our 55" tv. We don't own much of anything. We can't. If we still owned a house we would not qualify for assistance to help defer some of the cost for my leukemia meds ($8,000/mo.)

Just say no if you can't pay cash for it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

MikeP wrote:I used to have a few credit cards, after listening to some of Dave Rameys videos, I cancelled them all. Its cash or go without for me.
easyrider wrote: I agree I only use one card as well (debit). Although some like to get points and discounts using a credit card but I choose to forego those perks for a simpler deal.
Mel46 wrote: We only use 2 cards. One of them is a debit card. The other is a Visa card from the same place we do our banking (Credit Union). On the Visa we set a limit to $3,000 total. We only use it for surprise problems that come up.
Just say no if you can't pay cash for it.
I coach people on managing their personal finances (usually meaning their debt,) budgeting and learning to realise that they CAN'T afford their life as it is. The majority don't believe me, even though they follow my advice and get results! :lol:

All I can say is that reading the above comments warms my heart that there are sensible folks around. I do begin to wonder! :lol: