Lowering seat height

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Lowering seat height

Post by Indyglow »

Has anyone changed out the rear shocks for shorter shocks to lower the seat height? I plan to do this unless there is some reason why it shouldn't be done. At 5'3" I can't flat-foot it right now and I would like to be able to.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Lowering seat height

Post by gn2 »

The only reason for not doing so would be lack of ground clearance, particularly when cornering.
If you sit further forward on the seat you should be able to get more of your foot down.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't do it, but I have bottomed out my PCX on some really bad roads before (the undercarriage, not the suspension). With smaller shocks, you'll lose some dampening too, so the ride will be rougher as well.

If you install aftermarket ones, make sure your tire won't bottom out when the shocks are fully compressed, or you'll end up with a tire in your underseat storage area. ;)

I'm 5'8", but I have shorter legs, and can't flat-foot the PCX. You'll get used to it -- the PCX is light enough that you don't need to flat foot it. I think WhiteNoise is short too, and wears some taller shoes, you could look into that as well.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Lowering seat height

Post by Alibally »

What you need as a pair of these.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351011058.754948.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351011058.754948.jpg (76.68 KiB) Viewed 7544 times
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

^ Very Marc Bolan :D
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

White noise got exposed! I'm 5'8, can flat foot one side, all you need otherwise both foot if you slide forward. You might get use to it and not bother.

This was the same when I got my gixer, couldn't flat foot it on side even with boots but soon got use to it and didn't bother with lowering springs/seat etc
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

Is there an aftermarket seat that has a lower profile?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Urbanian wrote:Is there an aftermarket seat that has a lower profile?
its probably better to have some foam taken out of the sear. Cheaper and doesn't alter the suspension
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

or there are probably aftermarket seats in Asia for shorter riders where 5 3 would be considered average to tall...or could you put a bigger seat hump on so you are seating further forward and hence closer to the ground?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Indyglow, (Not yuz wizeguys :lol: )....,
Consider looking here before you go as far as changing out your shocks or saddle: https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/shopd ... ycle+Boots
If you can/want to treat yourself to a Quality pair of boots that have extra height built "inside-the-boot," as well as higher heal and sole, the Daytona's (for both lads & ladies) found on this page will solve your "touchdown" fears/problems. I'm slightly taller than you & I easily flatfoot both feet with these boots on.
Place one phone call to Helimot's shop and you'll be on your way to to feeling more confident and safe. If you have any questions fellow pcx'er I'm listening ;)

Hmm....exposed? :roll: interesting...and those towering boots (wrong, sooo wrong) :lol: :D o_O
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Indyglow »

Thanks for the link WhiteNoise, I didn't know they made boots like that. I was imagining platform boots like those in the other post, which would be good if my night job was a heavy metal rock star. Are the boots comfortable to walk around in? And can you get a good grip on uphill gravel and other similar road hazards? I do a lot of back road riding and often the road will go from paved to gravel to dirt and then end, and I have to be able to turn the bike around so just getting one foot flat or tip-toeing won't work for me.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If your footing isn't reliable and the surface is really bad, get off and manouevre it around ;)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Indy, the Daytona's have excellent grip power on paved or hard surfaces, even wet. Dirt and gravel? Never travel those roads. I totally agree with gn2, when surface looks risky it's best Not to risk the ride. Walk that bike...save your body for the next venture. As far as walking around in them? They need some breaking in then walking is ok, bit heavy for a long jaunt. They have zippers on inner and outer sides, velcro sides and back. Waterproof. High grade durable leather. They will last you a lifetime and be a longtime friend. If you google them you can read some reviews. I believe http://www.webbikeworld.com did one awhile back. They have a great review board for cycle gear & stuff, I visit their site often. Did I forget anything? :roll: ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Hey, I put a shorter rear shock on the wifes's Vino, and it dropped the rear about 2 inches, it should work the same for a pcx.
Or if your crazy like me and can weld you could relocate the upper shock mounts pretty easily and or cut a coil out of the springs. :lol:
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Seat height update

Post by Indyglow »

I took my PCX to a local shop to see about getting different shocks, he advised against it. Said I could get different shock mounts welded on, but thought that would void the warranty so didn't do that either. Next I took the seat to an upholstery shop that restores motorcycle seats, they said there wasn't really enough foam to shave off to make much of a difference. What I hoped was that they could cut into the round plastic part of the front underseat and plastic-weld it lower, but they couldn't. So, frustrated, I marked the part of the seat I sit on during long rides, took the cover off and started shaving foam in front of that. I took foam off the top and the sides of the seat with a kitchen knife, then sanded down the harsh edges with 150 grit sandpaper. Then I recovered it. Now I can slide forward when I stop and get both feet on the ground almost flat, and slide back to the comfortable foam part to ride. Works for me.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Seat height update

Post by maddiedog »

I always like DIY solutions, they're the cheapest route. Were you able to get the leather stapled back on well enough?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Indyglow »

The cover is pretty smooth, not perfect but good enough.
Attachments
tn_007.JPG
tn_007.JPG (3.58 KiB) Viewed 7459 times
tn_001.JPG
tn_001.JPG (3.44 KiB) Viewed 7459 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Good job.
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Indyglow »

tn_007.JPG
tn_007.JPG (23.14 KiB) Viewed 7456 times
tn_001.JPG
tn_001.JPG (20.19 KiB) Viewed 7456 times
Bigger pictures.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Nice one. :)