Rant about maintenance costs

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Newsasquatch
Regular User
Regular User
Year: N/A
Color: N/A

Rant about maintenance costs

Post by Newsasquatch »

I took my scooter for its first service about 600 miles ago and i just saw yesterday that my oil wasn't even registering on the dipstick. granted I use it often and on the freeway, but i never really go past 55 mph. I also will never really ride past 20 miles per day. Anyways, the coolant reservoir was empty too, so now I feel like threw away 220 dollars for the service (I'm guessing/hoping that they at least adjusted the valves). I was also told that the price for the 2500 mile service costs 390 dollars and the 5000 mile service cost 590 dollars! IF I did this, it would negate all of the money that I saved from the great gas mileage! Ridiculous!

So I went to the local motorsports dealer, and bought the right oil and coolant, and found that it took about 1/3 of a quart to get to the middle of the dipstick. I doubt those guys ever changed the oil because I checked the oil when I got it back from the first service and it registered on the low side of the dipstick, and the reservoir was on the low line as well.

So I've resolved that I'm not going to take it back in unless it's for valves, or for major things that I can't do myself. I'm going to buy the service manual and attempt to do everything thats on the 2500 mile service schedule.

I also had better change that oil soon because I don't know what kind of crud is floating around in there. I'm terrible with a wrench but I guess there's no better time to learn.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Rant about maintenance costs

Post by you you »

Newsasquatch wrote:I took my scooter for its first service about 600 miles ago and i just saw yesterday that my oil wasn't even registering on the dipstick. granted I use it often and on the freeway, but i never really go past 55 mph. I also will never really ride past 20 miles per day. Anyways, the coolant reservoir was empty too, so now I feel like threw away 220 dollars for the service (I'm guessing/hoping that they at least adjusted the valves). I was also told that the price for the 2500 mile service costs 390 dollars and the 5000 mile service cost 590 dollars! IF I did this, it would negate all of the money that I saved from the great gas mileage! Ridiculous!

So I went to the local motorsports dealer, and bought the right oil and coolant, and found that it took about 1/3 of a quart to get to the middle of the dipstick. I doubt those guys ever changed the oil because I checked the oil when I got it back from the first service and it registered on the low side of the dipstick, and the reservoir was on the low line as well.

So I've resolved that I'm not going to take it back in unless it's for valves, or for major things that I can't do myself. I'm going to buy the service manual and attempt to do everything thats on the 2500 mile service schedule.

I also had better change that oil soon because I don't know what kind of crud is floating around in there. I'm terrible with a wrench but I guess there's no better time to learn.

Yes, every cloud has a silver lining. They are easy bikes to learn, especially the oil filter change.

Servicing costs do seem out of proportion, especially over here. Crazy as the bikes aren't a great deal more complicated in essence than your average petrol lawnmower. Let us know how it goes as there will be a few people in your situation.
Newsasquatch
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Newsasquatch »

Hey, you are actually a nice guy and CAN behave lol! I laugh at your posts though.
I'll be sure to document my eff-ups.
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: WHITE

Post by doletotodole »

changing oil is really very very very easy.
easier than you can imagine.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Unfortunately you have discovered what many of us have, that the service costs could make your scooter too expensive to afford. That is why there are service manuals and this forum. You can learn a lot here. When I purchased our first PCX I stumbled across this forum and was able to learn how to take the panels off, change the oil, and adjust the valves within a short amount of time. Now I am not afraid to add accessories or replace broken panels, or even help others with their bikes. Give it time and you will be saying goodbye to those mechanics who take advantage of you.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Newsasquatch wrote:Hey, you are actually a nice guy and CAN behave lol! I laugh at your posts though. .......
Don't let 2U's fool you, every so often he does have one of those, "I just can't help myself moments." :lol:

But seriously, 2U's is a great guy and a great member of the forums. :D
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Newsasquatch
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Newsasquatch »

@Mel46, yeah when I was 16, my friend told me that he knew how to change alternators and that he could switch mine out of my 1969 VW bug. After literally trying to yank it out of it for a couple hours, we decided to put it off for the next day. We took this cap thing off of the motor and it was sprinkling outside. I asked if we should cover it and he said no. Next day it wouldn't start. Water went directily into the engine. From then on I just never wanted to ruin another vehicle by trying to tinker with it. I think at the age of 32, I can probably not be an idiot and ruin it lol.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I have several neighbors who don't seem to want to chance working on anything as well. One of them collects tools, sometimes as many as 10 of each item. He doesn't use them, and in fact has his garage so full of tools that he can't get is car in there to work on, even if he did want to work on it himself.
The other neighbor says that he doesn't want to touch tools because he might break something. I had helped him for a little while until I suggested one day that he keep some basic tools around so that I wouldn't have to bring mine over just to tighten a screw, and his reply was, "Why should I? You have tools. If I need something fixed I only have to call you." That told me that he had no intention of helping himself (and he is younger and healthier than I am), so now he has to figure out who else can do work for free for him.
You learn by doing. If there is an instruction manual somewhere, just get the book and follow it. If it doesn't work, go back to the beginning and do it over until it does work. The more you succeed, the more you can try other things.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

The more you succeed, the more you can try other things.
Truer words have never been spoken. It's all about overcoming "fear of the unknown". Life is a trip. . .enjoy the ride!

I've already started checking my inventory of tools to see what I'll need for the PCX. Not too many. . .but I think it would be a good idea if I got one of those CVT - Clutch/Variator Holding Tools and perhaps an electric impact wrench. Didn't have to change the belt or rollers on my R50 yet so I've been putting it off.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Mel46 wrote:I have several neighbors who don't seem to want to chance working on anything as well. One of them collects tools, sometimes as many as 10 of each item. He doesn't use them, and in fact has his garage so full of tools that he can't get is car in there to work on, even if he did want to work on it himself.
The other neighbor says that he doesn't want to touch tools because he might break something. I had helped him for a little while until I suggested one day that he keep some basic tools around so that I wouldn't have to bring mine over just to tighten a screw, and his reply was, "Why should I? You have tools. If I need something fixed I only have to call you." That told me that he had no intention of helping himself (and he is younger and healthier than I am), so now he has to figure out who else can do work for free for him.
You learn by doing. If there is an instruction manual somewhere, just get the book and follow it. If it doesn't work, go back to the beginning and do it over until it does work. The more you succeed, the more you can try other things.
That sounds like the same neighbour that "borrows" something for so long that they think it's their's, and if you do ever get it back, it's totally ruined or in poor condition (which would be why you got it back...). :roll:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

That sounds like the same neighbour that "borrows" something for so long that they think it's their's, and if you do ever get it back, it's totally ruined or in poor condition (which would be why you got it back...). :roll:
Well. . .the "ruined and in poor condition" part happened to me once with a chipper/shredder. But I think the guy let his kid use it so I kind of let it go and didn't say anything. It eventually blew a connecting rod so I scrapped it and never got around to replacing it. Since then he has passed on. . .may his soul rest in peace. :|
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Yes, that sounds like the type of guys we all know too well. In fact, the guy I know that won't do for himself borrowed a couple of tools from me when I told him to try to do some of the stuff himself. I have yet to get those tools back. I guess I should check on him to be sure he hasn't don't something bad with those tools. :-/

Oh, and here is the latest thing with that guy. He tripped two circuit breakers recently and he begged me to come over to check them. I found that the circuit breakers were old and needed to be replaced. I told him to call an electrician because I wasn't going to do the job for him. He asked me what he could do temporarily since his refrigerator was on one of the circuits and his electric stove was on the other, and it was night time. I ran two heavy duty extension cords from good circuits to each item and told him that they would get him by for the night but that he absolutely needed an electrician as soon as possible, since other circuit breakers could be failing as well. Two weeks later he is still stepping over extension cords in his house!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh God Mel, I hope this neighbor of yours is across the street and several doors up or down the block!
Not my kind of "neighbor!" Do you have a neighbor that's a fireman? Send him over there for a sit down "fly right" talk. Geez, how _______ (you fill in the blank) can a person be!!??

Story: (gotta love 'em or hate 'em :lol: Guess what? I like :lol:
O....kay!

I had an Uncle (rip) who lived right next door to my Mom and Dad in Florida. He had plenty of tools and lawn equipment but they were all beat up even rusted from abuse....yes, I said abuse. After my Dad passed (miss him), my Mom had me go through his garage belongings and make piles of save, sell and give-away's. Mom had several brother's and sister's that lived around them so she did her pickin's too and gave things to them.

:? Wait! Stop!...Of course I had choice of anything and everything in his garage First. Okay, now that I finally said that...I shall continue :D

Well this Uncle of mine who lived right-next-door kept coming over daily checking my piles. Kept saying he wants this n that, and that my Dad always said he could have this (as he pointed to a band saw) and that that item over there (pointing in another direction of their 2 car garage) was really his that my Dad borrowed at some point in time.
What!! This Uncle was trippin' out or something! Not Happening Unc and Not true!
Spoke to Mom about this and she said to ignore him and keep sorting and adding to piles.

The day came that all piles were made and it was time for me to deliver to intended parties. I went next door first. That uncle wasn't home at the time so his wife had me place the item's in his garage. I couldn't help but notice what a flaming mess it was! Then my eyes zeroed on a box that had my father's name written on it in marker. Big letters. I opened it, it was Dad's old Sears stainless steel belt sander! Then I turn around to go inside to tell his wife and spot my Dad's wheelbarrow hanging up on the wall!
My Uncle's a thief? Really? God knows what else was in his garage that belonged to my Dad, I thought.

Well, the next day I confronted him. Believe it, we argued (no, He argued) trying to convince me that Dad gave these items to him years ago. Well B.S. to that, I said. Dad loved his tools as do I, so no way did "he give" them to you. Lent them to you maybe....but not give. He stood his ground and I stood mine. Next day while he was out shopping, I walked over and spoke to my Aunt. She said, take what's yours, don't listen to him. I did just that. I grabbed that wheelbarrow and belt sander and off I went.
Next day he came over. I said speak to Mom now, I'm done with this and here those item's will stay!

End of story. Sadly about lending to kin folk
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Two weeks later he is still stepping over extension cords in his house!
I don't want to get too far off the subject but it sounds to me like you are too good of a neighbor.

I'm all about helping people get back up on their feet in a moment of weakness. . .not do their walking for them. Unfortunately there are some people who are always looking to get something for nothing. . .it gets complicated but it's kind of a subtle power play. Kind of like the way an infant knows if they cry enough they'll get fed or changed.

As the old adage goes "God helps those who help themselves".

If it were me I'd help him once or twice but when I detected a pattern of behavior that was adding all the value to his side and none to mine I'd just say "No. . .sorry. . .I'm not running a store, I don't make a living doing repairs (unless you do then use whatever fits), and you are going to have to man up and deal with". "Oh. . .and Have a nice day". And just walk away. :roll:

That being said you also have to be careful you don't get into a situation where you try to help somebody, and then whatever it is you helped them with fails or causes a fire, and then they turn around and try to blame you for it. We live in a very litigious society and people aren't afraid to sue and insurance companies always try to find an excuse not to pay. Always best to just recommend that they contact a professional contractor in the interest of safety and peace of mind. If the dude re-purposed the cables you let him borrow and screwed something up, when push came to shove, he may try to blame you. . .know what I mean? Even though what you would have done initially to help him would have been OK as an interim measure it enabled him to continue his irresponsibility.

I can't speak for anyone else but at the end of the day I have no problem telling leaches "NNNNNnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooo". But that's me and I don't care if the losers don't approve.

The sky will not darken and the earth will not thunder and the heavens will not rain cats and dogs and you'll have your stuff and more time to be out on the PCX having fun which is where it's really at. . .by just saying "No" to losers. 8)

I've only had my first coffee of the day and am ready for my next one. . .so I'll leave in peace and contemplate a ride on the R50 if there will be a break in the clouds today. :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Nerves touched :lol: