2016 honda pcx150 break in advice

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mike888
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Gray pcx150

2016 honda pcx150 break in advice

Post by Mike888 »

hi, i recently bought a new 2016 pcx 150, i would like your advice on how to break it in since this is my first motorcycle/scooter i have ever bought and want it to last a very long time. Currently i am allowing little gas to go and am closing throttle and opening throttle all the time so it does not stay in one speed. Will i damage my pcx by going up a hill during the break in period, since where i live there are few hills i need to communicate to go to my destination. When i went up the hill the first time today i was kinda scared so i pressed as little gas as i can. The speed limit on the hill was 30 and i was going 20 and less. What are your advices on breaking in my new pcx? Thanks for viewing The pcx currently has 12 miles on the odo
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: 2016 honda pcx150 break in advice

Post by Jge64 »

You are way overthinking it. These bikes are made to run all over the world in unbelievable conditions right out of the box and last for thousands and thousands of miles.. Just don't keep it at TopSpeed 100% all the time, check the oil occasionally and go have fun.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Don't baby it Mike or it will never grow up
You are not abusing a Honda engine by making it work. Not too hard at first-make sure everything is warm.
Just like a human heart it has to be stressed once in awhile or it won't have one.
Mike888
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mike888 »

is it normal to hear knocking noises when driving, like going up a hill. Also would you recommend not going past half throttle or is it ok.
Mike888
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mike888 »

Also should i be checking my motor oil every time i ride. I noticed on dip stick when i unscrew and wipe and put back the dip stick without screwing in the both side shows different results. It would show one higher then the other but both between the min and max.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Take it easy on new tyres for the 1st 100 miles or so as they need to bed in, and don't go too easy on take off otherwise you will glaze the clutch.
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy
Year: 2015
Color: Bronze

Post by Sandymay »

Knocking noise is usually a case of to low octane in you gasoline. Maybe try a higher octane and see if that helps.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Mike888 wrote:Also should i be checking my motor oil every time i ride. I noticed on dip stick when i unscrew and wipe and put back the dip stick without screwing in the both side shows different results. It would show one higher then the other but both between the min and max.
Once a month for me, don't worry about the different levels on the different sides of the stick just so it's visible on both sides of the stick in the #area.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

MOST PEOPLE ARE NOT SMART ENOUGH TO UNLEARN SOMETHING...

People are dumb, will never let go of preconceptions, and not honest enough to ever admit they got anything wrong...

BUT, if you are the exception to this rule, read this article on break in. Most people do the below break in procedure not because they are smart, but because the first they want to know after buying a new scooter or motorcycle is " HOW FAST IS IT ??? ". More of a lack of self control than anything :D

I break all my bikes in this way, and find the article to be RIGHT ON. The most aluminum powder I find in the filter is in the first 50 miles, virtually zero after that...

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Mike
lolofigo
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Silver

Post by lolofigo »

JetPilot wrote:MOST PEOPLE ARE NOT SMART ENOUGH TO UNLEARN SOMETHING...

People are dumb, will never let go of preconceptions, and not honest enough to ever admit they got anything wrong...

BUT, if you are the exception to this rule, read this article on break in. Most people do the below break in procedure not because they are smart, but because the first they want to know after buying a new scooter or motorcycle is " HOW FAST IS IT ??? ". More of a lack of self control than anything :D

I break all my bikes in this way, and find the article to be RIGHT ON. The most aluminum powder I find in the filter is in the first 50 miles, virtually zero after that...

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Mike
Ride like you stole it first 50 miles after worm up. Change oil and it's done. I did it with my 164 yuminashi. First 50 mile oil change black with aluminium glitter. Next oil stayed pink (Castrol) for hundreds of miles.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Mike888
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mike888 »

What does it mean for the first 300 miles avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration and ride conservatively
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

"avoid full throttle starts" means when moving off from a standstill don't use full throttle.
"avoid rapid acceleration" means don't use full throttle to accelerate.
"ride conservatively" means don't sit with the throttle held wide open.

Basically it all just means ride normally without using full throttle.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mike888 wrote:What does it mean for the first 300 miles avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration and ride conservatively

Seriously?
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Just run it like you would do when using it normally.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

Mike888 wrote:What does it mean for the first 300 miles avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration and ride conservatively
You obviously did not READ the responses to this thread. This is is a perfect example of why I said exactly what I did in bold in the first line of my post, just 2 posts prior to yours :roll:

Mike
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Color: WHITE

Post by doletotodole »

DON'T SUDDEN THROTTLE
DON'T TOP SPEED
DON'T SUDDEN STOP

ALWAYS AVERAGE SPEED, ALTHOUGH NOT POSSIBLE...