Flashing Red LED Light

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

Flashing Red LED Light

Post by Rick54 »

I was looking at some of the threads regarding additional led lights and the wiring problems associated with getting them hooked up. Going down the road the other night after sunset, I had a number of bicycle riders ahead of me that had a very bright red flashing led light on the back of the seat. This immediately caught my attention as to their presence. So I got to wondering why couldn't a person use one of these lights with some heavy duty Velcro on a flat surface for temporary mounting?
I know that the bike tail light is on, but the flashing of the led light is what brings a driver out of a daze and focuses attention. It could always be stored below the seat and ready to go should one be caught riding at dusk or after sunset. I don't think they're that terribly expensive, and yes, there probably are batteries that have to be replaced every so often.
Sorry to say, in the past six months or so, there has been about a dozen bicyclists that have been hit and killed by cars in western Michigan, which has prompted the use of these form of lights on the back of bicycles. They seem to work well at getting ones attention. What would be your thoughts on such a light?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Flashing Red LED Light

Post by Jge64 »

I would suggest you get the bike ,ride for a while, and then later on start messing with electrics. Most states wont allow you to have a flashing red light on a registered vehicle.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rick54 »

I suppose so, thought it was a good idea anyway!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

If you want to see a lot of ideas of what to do to a bike, ( you may not like them all), see my build Thread in my signature. Look for the Vololights braking license plate frame. Easy quick and effective.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
jblye
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by jblye »

This is the flashing tail light that I use on my 2015 PCX150. I mounted it on top of
my top box, using a mounting piece that was originally designed for an oil pressure
gauge sender. You could also mount it in the license plate area.
It is VERY bright, quite visible during the daytime and especially bright
at night. I replace the batteries about every 50 hours of use.
I've been using this type of light for years, and I've never gotten any flak from
the police.
https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Blin ... ike+blinky
Johnny
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have a knight riderz light that goes back and forth across it until I press the brake lever. Then it flashes for 3 to 5 seconds before coming on steady. I have it attached to my license plate frame.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rick54 »

Thank you Mel for your input. During the summer months, I work at a golf coarse only about 4 miles from my house. Unfortunately the drive there is on a 55 mph, curvy, double-yellow road, all the way to work. My 5:30 start time puts me driving during a rush hour work drive, which is not uncommon to being passed on the dbl yellow by anxious drivers. So just as an aid I was considering this light for attaching to the back of my jacket or seat.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013FIVU0C/ref ... 29GNPD8B6J

Perhaps this light will aid in my left turn by shaking some of those waking cobwebs loose!