Waterless coolant

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Waterless coolant

Post by Teamtd11 »

Just spotted this http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/

Its waterless coolant, Removing the need to replace the coolant in any cooling system. It also works at much lower and higher temperatures and will not cause any corrosion.

Found 2L bottles on ebay for about £35 and the prep fluid will come to another £20. I need something to do over a weekend so in the next couple of weeks I will be ordering both the prep and the coolant.

If anyone is interested I can try and do a full guide on swapping the coolant over. I'm not expecting it to add any performance at all but it should help look after the engine so well worth £55?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Waterless coolant

Post by you you »

Teamtd11 wrote:Just spotted this http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/

Its waterless coolant, Removing the need to replace the coolant in any cooling system. It also works at much lower and higher temperatures and will not cause any corrosion.

Found 2L bottles on ebay for about £35 and the prep fluid will come to another £20. I need something to do over a weekend so in the next couple of weeks I will be ordering both the prep and the coolant.

If anyone is interested I can try and do a full guide on swapping the coolant over. I'm not expecting it to add any performance at all but it should help look after the engine so well worth £55?

Or you could use water. Or wata as we Geordie say.

Yes, give us a review. I'll be interested to see what it is/does
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Teamtd11 wrote:it should help look after the engine so well worth £55?
Better sticking with the standard stuff.
Absolutely not worth £55
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Teamtd11 »

Well I'm working along the lines of keeping the PCX until it falls apart. Been doing the servicing ect myself so saving a lot on Honda Labour. £55 for something that will live the life of the bike and I can just put back in if I have to drain the cooling for any reason, does not sound too bad to me. I say too bad because I know its a lot, but I'm not looking for short term value.

The coolant itself is only 3-4X the price of a good bottle of ready mixed antifreeze from Halfords and that would need to be changed every 2 years.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Snake oil springs to mind.
I think you should use the recommended specification of coolant and save your money.
It is extremely important to use the correct coolsnt snd to not mix coolant types.
You are far more likely to cause damage by changing coolant types than by sticking with the correct stuff.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I'm a bit GN2 on this as the proporties of water are amazing, especially when used as a coolant.

Interested to see the results though
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Waterless coolant

Post by Alibally »

Had look at the website and they go on about the boiling point of water is 100 deg C , which of course is correct, but cooling systems have pressure caps that enable higher temperatures as the boiling point goes up under pressure. If your cooling system and fan are in good condition the the engine should run about 90deg C approx so having regular coolant shouldn't be a problem.
Interestingly enough I did my f-gas air con training and as a demo you can boil water with the heat of your hand if you pull a vacuum in the container the water is in. That's why aircon systems are vac'ed out to get rid of moisture in the system before refilling.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

As far as the PCX is concerned, waterless coolant is a solution looking for a problem where in fact none exists.
The cooling system in the PCX works very well designed and works perfectly well.
The same cannot be said for all vehicles, e.g. K-series Rovers where this product might help
Rhodgie

Post by Rhodgie »

Watching "New Wheeler Dealers" on sky discovery (channel 520) and they are doing up a Triumph TR6 using the waterless coolant..... seems to be a good product and does a better job than regular coolant BUT........ I wouldn't consider it worthwhile for the PCX ........ If you've got something you intend to keep for the next 20 or 30 years then ok but I'll stick with Honda's standard stuff for the time being :-)