inspect before every ride...

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

inspect before every ride...

Post by homie »

Is there anything I can do about this or am I.... screwed :lol:
Attachments
screwed.jpg
screwed.jpg (21.97 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: inspect before every ride...

Post by Mel46 »

I have heard of riders getting their tires plugged but I am not sure how much I would trust it for 'continual' riding. It may work out till a replacement tire arrives though.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

When it is near the sidewall, it is definitely something that should be replaced, and though yours is not too close to the sidewall, it looks like it is a fairly good size. Thus, without seeing the diameter and just going by the size of the head, I would say you are screwed, to use your term. ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Dang... there was still some decent tread and of course I will have to do the front too. Fall is the BEST and I'm off the beasty :cry: I don't want to get in line or even know what new rubber and mounting cost in Chicagoland. I doubt the fellow who puts my PCX tires can handle these rims and I'm not willing to test him. Ah shucks, Oh well... come on little Honda :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

EW! and it's rusty! Plug that tire, inflate. Let the mighty Buell rest. Ride the "precious," renew your vows, feel the love :P Seek a fall/winter tire sale. Got beer? Attempt mounting.
Ok that was ezy :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

From the wear bar to the right of the bolt head it looks like that tyre was due a change anyway.
Bigger tyres on bikes are easier to change than small scooter tyres so have no worries about your tyre man changing it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

gn2 wrote:From the wear bar to the right of the bolt head it looks like that tyre was due a change anyway.
Bigger tyres on bikes are easier to change than small scooter tyres so have no worries about your tyre man changing it.
Found a guy with a machine and two sets for sale, Pirelli Diablo's and slicks used once on the track which means all four only have half life left in them. But the price is right, I get some choices and experience and the guy races knowing his tires so I'm meeting him next week with my wheels in tow.
GlassMan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by GlassMan »

I have the Pirelli Diablo"s on CASPER and truth be told, I like them MORE than the City Grips.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

GlassMan wrote:I have the Pirelli Diablo"s on CASPER and truth be told, I like them MORE than the City Grips.
I might try the softer Pirelli on the scoot when the time comes but the Michelin's are doing GREAT at 5k on the PCX... hardly showing wear you get your money's worth.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

homie wrote:
GlassMan wrote:I have the Pirelli Diablo"s on CASPER and truth be told, I like them MORE than the City Grips.
I might try the softer Pirelli on the scoot when the time comes but the Michelin's are doing GREAT at 5k on the PCX... hardly showing wear you get your money's worth.
GlassMan - why is that? I gather they seem to have good grip and long life but why the preference? I'm still on stock IRC's and now done a fraction under 10K miles and the rear still has lots of life in it - about 4-5mm
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

He gets the confidence of a better grip on the payment at the sacrifice of longevity. I'm surprised at the short life of tires on the bigger bikes. Would like to buy harder rubber but not worth slipping and going off. Our scoots can have the softer tire and still do far better than bigger bikes between changes. That's why I won't complain about his choice and may go there next time myself over City Grips. Some PCX's in some counties got Pirelli's stock at one time. I still have my IRC's but if someone wants them PM me and there yours for the shipping.
GlassMan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017

Post by GlassMan »

Homie hit it right on the head, the perelli"s are GRIPPY ! I had City Grips on CASPER (got the wider tire idea from homie) but got an un-repairable flat on the rear. Guy gave me a great deal on the Perelli"s but only if i bought both so i did. The City Grips are great tires and i would have just replaced the rear with another had i not come across the other deal (ebay). Longevity wise the CG"s may out perform them, but the Diablo"s are much more confidence inspiring on the road imo.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I do know from experience that the City Grips grip better than the Dunlop that I have/had on my bike, originals from the manufacturer. My wife insisted that we swap out her IRCS for City Grips after finding that they did not grip that well. I had Dunlop and found that they had the same problem, so I changed out the rear for the City Grips. Then I found that the front isn't holding as well as hers. I may just switch the front out for a City Grip sooner than is necessary.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

I got 7,000 out of the rear CityGrip before it was feeling beyond it's best, and looked it too!. Put a whole fresh set on given the deal I was offered.
aka DrewJW
ribanold
Year: 2016
Color: brown

Post by ribanold »

this is my answer for the god homie:

http://www.forum.an650.de/threads/f%C3% ... ken.11231/

best whishes from germany
THE LIFE IS WONDERFULL
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I gather those with short lifes on rear tyres must either pull away with lots of throttle or ride routinely high mph - as I do not understand why people are getting such short life on their rear tyres. MCG's were supposed to last much longer than IRC's but I'm very close to 10,000 miles now and my rear has lots of tread all over and lots of life yet - and it's an IRC. I ride in town only, pull away fairly sharpish and mostly do 30-35 with a bit of 40mph.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Longer rides heats up the tires and makes it softer.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

homie wrote:Is there anything I can do about this or am I.... screwed :lol:
Studded tires: you're doing it wrong. :lol:
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Mel46 wrote:I have heard of riders getting their tires plugged but I am not sure how much I would trust it for 'continual' riding. It may work out till a replacement tire arrives though.
Plugging a motorcycle tire halves its speed rating. Kinda like putting a donut on a car, it will work to get you to a shop, but should not be trusted for regular use.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)