Honda Pcx front noise

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Andreapcx
Year: 2016
Color: matt grey

Honda Pcx front noise

Post by Andreapcx »

Hi all

It's my first time posting here. I have bought a new Pcx 3 weeks ago and while riding i can hear a clinking noise around the steering bar and its surroundings. I managed to dismantle the front part of the pcx to try and locate from where the noise is coming but i couldn't locate exactly from where's it's coming. I also visited the honda dealer and was told that the plastic visor is the culprit, but I drove with out it and still heard the noise. It seems that its coming from the front fork since it only happens when passing over a small pot hole or bump in the road. Anyone had a similar issue?? Btw dealer also told me that all bearing are in good nick as the bike is still brand new.
Andreapcx

Re: Honda Pcx front noise

Post by Andreapcx »

Its more like a rattle rather than a clinking noise.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

It seems that its coming from the front fork since it only happens when passing over a small pot hole or bump in the road.

Could it be your keys hanging down rapping on the bodywork, presuming you have more than the PCX key on your keyring?
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
Andreapcx

Post by Andreapcx »

Hi many thanks for your reply. Currently i only have the pcx key alone, so its not the issue. What can cause the front fork to rattle??
Tonyx
Color: red

Post by Tonyx »

It could be the fork head bearing nut needs to be torqued to spec. Do you have tools to re-torque it?
Andreapcx

Post by Andreapcx »

Unfortunately i dont have any torque wrench. Would this still happen even if there is no movement in upper part of the fork when holding the front brake??
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Get someone to pull down on the back of the bike, then try with one hand on each fork, to move the fork towards you, and away from you. (north to south from yourself) if there is ANY movement get that bike back to your dealership as it could be the steering bearing head loose ( ask me how I know )
aka DrewJW
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

If this is the dealer that you bought it from recently,
perhaps they could do a test ride, fix it, then do another test ride.

I would try suggesting that.
Andreapcx

Post by Andreapcx »

Hi all thanks for your replies. I have checked the front fork for any slack, but it's all good. Does anyone know how to access the steering bar bracket? I mean the part underneath the chrome part of the steering.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

It's under warranty. The dealer has checked it and said its ok. Ride it and worry about something else.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

On my older 2012 PCX, I suspect the RPM dependant rattle/vibration at the front might be brake cables and wiring rubbing against the trim. When I change my screen and meter panel I'm going to put some foam around those items to help isolate it.
Andreapcx

Post by Andreapcx »

Hi
Checked the cables pulled them tight but still the same , as you you said i guess i have to get used to it and worry about something else. :lol:
eranby
Color: white

Post by eranby »

any updates about the clicking source?
like you , I have 2016 PCX with 600 km in odometer, I can hear the clicking sound
as soon as I go over bumps or small holes...
I will ask my dealer about it , but I'm not sure he will give it too much
attention :(

Eran
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When I took my bike apart I noticed that the some of the cables are held in a metal collar of some sort to keep them from snagging something in the steering. Maybe one of the cable bundles came loose and slaps against the panels when you hit a pot hole. The only way to find out about that would be to take the bike apart, and I am betting that you really don't want to do that. If you can do it, take the tunnel panel off (the one with the gas cap) and shine a flash light up from the bottom (and look up with it) to see if you can see anything that might be out of place or loose. I suggested taking off that panel because when I looked without taking it off, I couldn't see much of anything except a black hole. But then, I am a blind old man and can use as much light as I can get. You may be able to see up under there without taking the panel off. You will need to be under the front wheel well though, and that isn't a comfy position to me. :-/
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Andreapcx

Post by Andreapcx »

No updates for me still the same. Anyone knows where i can find a 2016 manual maybe sometime i disassemble the whole plastics and somehow i can locate the annoying noise.
Andreapcx

Post by Andreapcx »

Mine still has 600 km but i will let the dealer know about it once i do the first 1000km service.
Andreapcx

Post by Andreapcx »

Mel46 wrote:When I took my bike apart I noticed that the some of the cables are held in a metal collar of some sort to keep them from snagging something in the steering. Maybe one of the cable bundles came loose and slaps against the panels when you hit a pot hole. The only way to find out about that would be to take the bike apart, and I am betting that you really don't want to do that. If you can do it, take the tunnel panel off (the one with the gas cap) and shine a flash light up from the bottom (and look up with it) to see if you can see anything that might be out of place or loose. I suggested taking off that panel because when I looked without taking it off, I couldn't see much of anything except a black hole. But then, I am a blind old man and can use as much light as I can get. You may be able to see up under there without taking the panel off. You will need to be under the front wheel well though, and that isn't a comfy position to me. :-/
I do think that some cables might be hitting something.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I believe this is the metal collar that Mel is referring to (Stretch the photo to see the part better).
You are looking at a 2016 PCX'S Handlebar, Cover and what lies beneath the cover.
From http:/www.cheapcycleparts.com

The arrow points to the collar (an odd shaped clamp, if you will) that the brake cables, etc run through. Check this area. Make sure you have the clamp and that all cables are inside and around them. Not loose and tapping about.

Do you have a Service Manual? The manual will show you the proper arrangement for the cables that go inside that clamp. Hard to explain. I've been in there and done that when I replaced my brake light switch on a 2011 PCX I had.

I'm hoping this is the solution to your noise. Good luck!
Attachments
2016 PCX150 Handlebar.Cvr.and.Below.png
2016 PCX150 Handlebar.Cvr.and.Below.png (15.83 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I adjusted my cable guide collar today and put some insulation tape around the brake cable that pulls across it.
I also removed the metal plate that covers the CBS system, until I find a way to dampen it with rubber mat or such.
No chance for a test ride yet, hopefully I'll get to it this evening and report back.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Nope, neither of those things made any difference for me.