Oil change question for 2015 PCX 150

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Schroeder
Year: 2015
Color: white

Oil change question for 2015 PCX 150

Post by Schroeder »

I am a first time poster, long time lurker on this forum. Is the oil plug a standard GY6 17mm? My dealer sells vespas, kymco and genuine scooters. He recommends Rotella T-6 5w40 synthetic "after" the oil has been changed at 600 miles with regular dino oil. I have used this oil for over 25,000 miles in my Kymco and Genuine Buddy scooters with no problems.They run great on this blend.
He doesn't sell Honda scooters. Bought my PCX from the local Honda dealer. Can I continue to use the Rotella 5w40 in the PCX? If not, what do you recommend for a synthetic oil?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Oil change question for 2015 PCX 150

Post by you you »

Schroeder wrote:I am a first time poster, long time lurker on this forum. Is the oil plug a standard GY6 17mm? My dealer sells vespas, kymco and genuine scooters. He recommends Rotella T-6 5w40 synthetic "after" the oil has been changed at 600 miles with regular dino oil. I have used this oil for over 25,000 miles in my Kymco and Genuine Buddy scooters with no problems.They run great on this blend.
He doesn't sell Honda scooters. Bought my PCX from the local Honda dealer. Can I continue to use the Rotella 5w40 in the PCX? If not, what do you recommend for a synthetic oil?

If you do have a PCX I guess you will have a way of working out exactly what size the drain plug is without asking?

If you have read your handbook I guess you will know the correct grade of oil to use?

If you have been on any car or bike forum I guess you will know how open ended an oil question is?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Same bike, i use 10w -30 Mobil 1.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

Schroeder wrote:I am a first time poster, long time lurker on this forum. Is the oil plug a standard GY6 17mm? My dealer sells vespas, kymco and genuine scooters. He recommends Rotella T-6 5w40 synthetic "after" the oil has been changed at 600 miles with regular dino oil. I have used this oil for over 25,000 miles in my Kymco and Genuine Buddy scooters with no problems.They run great on this blend.
I use Rotella t-6 with no problems, although I think the weight I use is 10w40. I want to say the nut is 17mm, either that or 19.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

The drain bolt on the PCX does not use the standard 17mm head; however, it seems to be the same diameter. I believe it has a 12mm head. The part can be found here:

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts ... plug-12x15

As 2yous has indicated, the "best" oil is one of those things that will vary depending on the person you ask. The best bet is to use what the owner's manual recommends. See attached image. Brand is inconsequential. Whatever you like best. So long as it meets the requirements in the owner's manual and isn't made of toad farts and pixie dust, it should be fine. I use Motul myself, because I like spending more than I should on oil.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (65.05 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hey Schroeder! Welcome Aboard! :P
How's about telling us where your located? That just might help us now and later when you ask questions ;) I just noticed that you overlooked completing it in your profile.
Easy directions are below my post. Thank ya!

WN's Oil? I use exactly what member Jge64 uses ;)
Best price for me...always at Walmart
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by fantasy2c »

Mobile 1 changed in at 500 miles, now have 2,800 miles of mostly highway riding 55-60mph and so far so good. 10w30 I do believe I went with weight wise
2015 pcx with NYC variator and faceplate and 13g NYC rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Always use the slippery type of oil, the sticky type is no good.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

To answer your question: "Yes ,you can keep using the Rotella."
It will give you same results you got with your other scooters.
Fish
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

gn2 wrote:Always use the slippery type of oil, the sticky type is no good.
Correct.. Getting crazy over the type of oil on this single piston 2 valve engine is pointless. This is a simple engine in design and almost anything slippery will work fine as far as lubrication. The most important aspect is clean oil. Frequency is key not necessarily the brand.. A dirty synthetic will do more harm than a clean cheapo brand meeting the same SAE/API requirement.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

I don't know why, but it feels like we've had this conversation before.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yes indeed we have, a few times :) I know what you mean and it was said kindly

But...New members are not aware that we have. You/we may ask, "why don't these folks do a search about the topic first before asking?"
Well I was new once. When I came on the forum scene getting my feet wet, I had no idea about a "search" option/button. It took me awhile to discover it. In fact, it was probably brought to my attention by another member (via a pm). Then I got familiar with it. Bingo! Info abound. Happy :P

I know we sometimes sigh at repeated topic questions, but heh...it ain't all that bad and the upside is that we get to refresh ourselves with the info as well. That's the way I think of it.

On the other hand, If repeated topics bother anyone, then just move on to another. Someone else will come along and help our newbie. Up to you and to each one of us. That's the beauty of being an individual.

Peace this beautiful day folks
~ I will be Riding ~
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

hehe, that's not likely to be a question I'll ask WN. There are times I'm too lazy to search. I was simply having a chuckle. :D

Wish I could be riding. I've been dizzy since I woke up. and have had visual artifacts in my sight...and a killer headache...you know what that means i'm sure...

So I've been "watching" movies on Netflix, and by watching I mean, it's been on and I've been listening, but not really looking at the screen because my head wants to explode.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

No, I don't. Doctor time? Is it Vertigo? TMJ? What Paul?
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

WhiteNoise wrote:No, I don't. Doctor time? Is it Vertigo? TMJ? What Paul?
Just a migraine. well, when I say just, I mean it's not life threatening, just highly irritating. I do periodically get vertigo as well, but this time the dizziness is from the migraine.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

There's no "just" about it, migraine is seriously bad shit, you have my sympathies.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

3-4 shots of bourbon will fix it.. if not, you have a problem !
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:3-4 shots of bourbon will fix it.. if not, you have a problem !

No it won't, and the problem would be a migraine. I'd like say I love the North Americans and there simplistic stupidity but sometimes it is difficult

Pass the bourbon.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

you you wrote:
easyrider wrote:3-4 shots of bourbon will fix it.. if not, you have a problem !

No it won't, and the problem would be a migraine. I'd like say I love the North Americans and there simplistic stupidity but sometimes it is difficult

Pass the bourbon.
I prefer scotch anyway...and I'm not sure making myself more dizzy would solve anything. LOL.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

It should be added as a FAQ section as the question of what oil comes up ever month - just a snippet pointing out for the PCX any good 4-stroke non MB oil is fine as you cannot easily buy Honda specified MB oil in europe (and any good semi-synth or full synth oil is perfectly ok to use). I believe it has something to do with EU regulations or such :)