where to put fat Stebel Nautilus Air-horn on skinny PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

where to put fat Stebel Nautilus Air-horn on skinny PCX

Post by flyingzonker »

Under the front left faring? Under the black wind channeler in front? Any other suggestions. The two mentioned make for pretty hard cramming.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: where to put fat Stebel Nautilus Air-horn on skinny PCX

Post by WhiteNoise »

Did you find, read/see maddiedog's very helpful horn install (found under PCX > tech help > how to)?

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23

His scoot was a 2011, I'm thinking the 2013 is similar.

Here's two quick pic's of his Location (Ha! there's that Word again! :lol: )
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (250 KiB) Viewed 4465 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (205.36 KiB) Viewed 4465 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

put it on the tail end, might add some extra speed :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

tut-tut! :lol: Ya mean, blow it out yer a_ _? One toots out the rear, one toots out front.
Fitting where? Below or above the camera's? That is the question! :D :lol:

I have YET to install my Screamin' Banshee horn. I even forgot I had one! (More) time will tell if I ever do the do. I should
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have one on each of our 2013 PCX 150s. They are both in that area in front that is empty behind the headlight. (I couldn't get it to fit in the area Dave had put his.) Granted, I had to take the whole bike apart to get them in there, but they fit quite well, though I had to tie-wrap them in place so that they would not shift, if they could shift...doubtful since the area is tight in there. Maddiedog (Dave) helped me with the first one. The second one was just put in while I was rebuilding the scooter after the accident. I put the relay for the horn on the left side of the inner cover and connected the hot wire of the relay itself to the hot wire of the builtin horn. The hot wire of the Nautilus went directly to the battery, since that horn pulls way more current than the builtin one does. I kept the original horn attached as well because the Nautilus takes a second to spool up, and just tapping your horn may not give it the second it needs, though I have had no problem with that so far.
You CAN shove the horn into that area without taking the whole bike apart, if you work at it. We succeeded on the first one, but it was a challenge. Connect your extra wires first because you may not be able to reach them once it is in there. In the end it is all worth it. That horn wakes up those drivers who are not paying attention!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

A photo I took of my Screamin' Banshee when I first got it. The top left of pic is the silver part that faces up in maddiedog's photo. The body of both horns create the bulk when fitting them.
Fun n games, but worth it when the job is done.
(Must repeat that to meself Many times :D )
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (42.63 KiB) Viewed 4455 times
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

WhiteNoise wrote:Did you find, read/see maddiedog's very helpful horn install (found under PCX > tech help > how to)?

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23

His scoot was a 2011, I'm thinking the 2013 is similar.

Here's two quick pic's of his Location (Ha! there's that Word again! :lol: )

Yes, I have read the Maddiedog post. I tried to position my horn where he did his, but she would not go. I think part of the porblem is that on the 2011 PCX the horn is on the right of the gas cap but on later models it is on the other side. I removed the left front panel, took out the horn, replaced the panel and tried to stuff the horn where Maddie had stuff it--no way.

The other piosition you mention I did not try. I found another before I could try it. where I am putting my horn is the only palace that was hospitable enough to allow it residence without any forcing. I put it right over the headlight. This position necessitates the leaving aside of an undercowl--my terminology--but its function can be replicated with a piece of 3 mil black plastic sheet taped in place. Over the sheet the meter cover fits even greazing the fat old horn.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Mel46 wrote:I have one on each of our 2013 PCX 150s. They are both in that area in front that is empty behind the headlight. (I couldn't get it to fit in the area Dave had put his.) Granted, I had to take the whole bike apart to get them in there, but they fit quite well, though I had to tie-wrap them in place so that they would not shift, if they could shift...doubtful since the area is tight in there. Maddiedog (Dave) helped me with the first one. The second one was just put in while I was rebuilding the scooter after the accident. I put the relay for the horn on the left side of the inner cover and connected the hot wire of the relay itself to the hot wire of the builtin horn. The hot wire of the Nautilus went directly to the battery, since that horn pulls way more current than the builtin one does. I kept the original horn attached as well because the Nautilus takes a second to spool up, and just tapping your horn may not give it the second it needs, though I have had no problem with that so far.
You CAN shove the horn into that area without taking the whole bike apart, if you work at it. We succeeded on the first one, but it was a challenge. Connect your extra wires first because you may not be able to reach them once it is in there. In the end it is all worth it. That horn wakes up those drivers who are not paying attention!
I saw another of your posts wherein you describe how you positioned your horn. I had not thought of that place but when I stripped away the meter cover and undercowl, I knew my baby had found a home!
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

homie wrote:put it on the tail end, might add some extra speed :)
If I had two of them, I'd seriously think of putting one behind--just to warn off tailgaters.
BobS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Silver

Post by BobS »

I have this horn on other bikes. One piece of advice - use a short length of hose and an automobile fuel filter on the air intake of the horn. Dust and dirt can ruin the air turbine bearings.
JonW
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JonW »

FWIF I've put this air horn in a couple of my Miatas over the years. The failure rate people were seeing after a while seemed a bit high so I switched using to Fiamm freeway blaster horns (I think they were called). They were just as loud (you need both the high and low note horns), less expensive, more reliable, and take up less room to install.

Check em out (on Amazon):
http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72102-Term- ... ay+blaster

http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72012-Note- ... ay+blaster
Jon W
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Two tones? How would you hook those up so that you could use either tone? By the way, the Nautilus is louder. Look at the DBs. I would guess though that it really wouldn't matter which horn you put on your bike. They would still be louder than that child's horn they have on them initially.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

BobS wrote:I have this horn on other bikes. One piece of advice - use a short length of hose and an automobile fuel filter on the air intake of the horn. Dust and dirt can ruin the air turbine bearings.
You must rid the horn like some people ride the brake to dust one up to that point :D

Are we liking this yet Mel? Its getting tempting, we are seeing some options here that make sense. Never really thought about until now. Big horn would come in handy now and then, at least people on the phone might look around for a semi truck and see you. Yes I would blow that baby when I see people on the phone just for fun! :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

One time I was riding along and a woman in a big SUV pulled up to my right, beside me and just moved right on into my lane without even looking. She had her ear to a cellphone and was just talking away. I hit that horn and she almost wrecked the vehicle! I think she peed her pants. Served her right. I was riding on the white line.

Prior to installing that horn I had almost the exact same thing happen and I couldn't get her attention no matter what I did....until I kicked her door.

That horn has better results. Now we have one on each of our bikes. Those little ones that come on the bikes originally can't even be heard in these big monster SUVs that are being driven around in our area. They have to compete with cellphones, kids, music, DVDs and the talking builtin GPS, not counting airheads that are daydreaming.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

JonW
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JonW »

Mel46 wrote:Two tones? How would you hook those up so that you could use either tone?
You want both tones together, not one or the other. The dissonance of the two notes gets people's attention as much as the loudness.
Jon W
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

Mel46 wrote:
....until I kicked her door.
Be like this guy?

Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

In my case traffic was moving slow from light to light. I was on the inside lane, with a cement 6 inch median to my left. The white line for the lane is about 6 inches to a foot out from it. When the SUV had moved into my lane, it left me riding within that area between the white line and the cement median. When I kicked the vehicle door my handlebar was within inches of their door. There isn't a lot of room to get one's whole foot out to kick a door in that situation, so all I could do is pull up enough so that I could kick out sideways and backwards to try to kick the center part of her door with the side of my boot. It wasn't much of a kick, but it was enough to get her attention.
That rider in that video above seems to not know about the law of actions..."for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction". If he kicked hard enough to dent her door, that action would act to push him away as well. It is very difficult to kick a door while on a bike with out feeling the reaction from it...
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote: Those little ones that come on the bikes originally can't even be heard in these big monster SUVs that are being driven around in our area. They have to compete with cellphones, kids, music, DVDs and the talking builtin GPS, not counting airheads that are daydreaming.

Here is the horn you need to get her attention Mel. This guy is all about horns on his channel... what a nut :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYN8F4D_lUo