Warning: Forza 300 discs and pads

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

beegmouse
Regular User
Regular User

Warning: Forza 300 discs and pads

Post by beegmouse »

I request this be made sticky.

The service schedule is as follows.

600 miles
8000 miles
16000 miles
24000 miles etc

At the 8000 mile service Honda require the pads be inspected.
They should always be replaced as they cannot make it to the 16000 service.

There are numerous reports of pads failing around the 10000 mile mark.

There are also numerous reports of discs warping, so I would also suggest using sintered pads instead of Honda/Nissin organic ones.
Sintered pads conduct heat away from the disc while organic ones insulate it. So if you have an emergency stop the hot pads do not bake a small patch of disc.

I feel strongly on this subject as from new I have had it officially serviced and have had two front discs warp and at 10000 miles my rear pads destroyed the rear disc. For a two year old bike to have such problems when serviced to spec is shameful.

A note to Honda, use better pads, and change the service requirements.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Warning: Forza 300 discs and pads

Post by gn2 »

The original Honda pads are sintered yet still the discs warp....

Brembo do aftermarket discs which might be worth trying.

http://www.wrs.sm/en/brake-discs/64149- ... -2015.html
http://www.wrs.sm/en/brake-discs/64173- ... -2015.html
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
beegmouse
Regular User
Regular User

Post by beegmouse »

I've already sorted it for myself. It wasn't a cry for help. But given the scale of the issue.

I thought it should be made sticky, so that new owners/Honda are aware of the issue.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Disc brake pads are a replace as needed via visual inspection item. It's very easy to see how much pad is remaining. My 18,000 mile PCX is just now getting close.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

The Forza 300 does seem to have an inherent brake problem that Honda should have sorted long ago - instead they seem to not give a damn. Shameful how many people have the brakes worn away in a short time and how often they need maintenance.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

iceman wrote:The Forza 300 does seem to have an inherent brake problem that Honda should have sorted long ago - instead they seem to not give a damn. Shameful how many people have the brakes worn away in a short time and how often they need maintenance.
At 13,000 km I could not see how much pad I had left on the rear because there was no pad on the rear. Worn right down to the metal. The rear pads normally last a long time on my motorcycles.

I think the heat shield on the Forza 300 is too small to deal with the adjacent muffler. The muffler is in the wrong place and the pads die young.

The only practical way for Honda to fix this problem is to make a better stainless steel heat shield. A new exhaust could also fix the problem but this would be really expensive.

The brake disk should have been on the other side of the wheel from the exhaust.
beegmouse
Regular User
Regular User

Post by beegmouse »

This is not a general whine about the engineering of the brakes. They function, they stop you well, they stop you quick, and in the wet the ABS does its job. This is not something which warrants a recall.

My complaint and warning is the specific row in the servicing table which says that they should only be inspected at 8000 miles when there is no way that they will last 16000 miles.

The point of servicing regimes in vehicles is to make sure between service failures do not happen, especially wear based ones.

Honda are putting the responsibility on the dealerships to make the call. there is no need.

Change them every 8k
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Change them every 8k???

The Honda Canada service intervals seem to be different than other countries. My manual says to inspect the Brake Pads Wear every 4000 miles. I was a little late doing the rear 12,800 km inspection (only 200 km) and my pads were completely gone. 12.8 km is 8k miles.

The pads were $50 for the rear. I hope the ones I put in last a little longer. I am not a heavy braker.
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

beegmouse wrote:
My complaint and warning is the specific row in the servicing table which says that they should only be inspected at 8000 miles when there is no way that they will last 16000 miles.
Mine have lasted 17,000 miles so far.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Does anyone know the minimum thickness of the Forza 300 rear disc? I wore out my pads down to the metal. My disk is at 0.226 inches thick. Do I need a new disk?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

5 mm is min for rear
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

beegmouse wrote:I request this be made sticky.

600 miles
8000 miles
16000 miles
24000 miles etc

There are also numerous reports of discs warping, so I would also suggest using sintered pads instead of Honda/Nissin organic ones.
Sintered pads conduct heat away from the disc while organic ones insulate it. So if you have an emergency stop the hot pads do not bake a small patch of disc.

I feel strongly on this subject as from new I have had it officially serviced and have had two front discs warp and at 10000 miles my rear pads destroyed the rear disc. For a two year old bike to have such problems when serviced to spec is shameful.

What the fork do Honda know. Idiots to a man.

You should write to them to be put in charge.

Sign the letter "Mr President", that'll help.
Embattle
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by Embattle »

In reality there can be no guide set in stone for brake pads, they'll generally wear down at different rates depending on things like riding style etc.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I was curious about my front pads today. They were almost done last time I looked not long ago. They are now done. I replaced the front today at 17,000 km. The rears were completely worn out at 13,600 km. Usually the rears last way longer than the fronts on my motorcycles.

I struggled a little to get the front pads in. I had to push all 3 pistons back with a screwdriver. I guess I should have done the right pad first and then the left pad?

Those pistons are really small. I know how hydraulics work but they are still really, really small pistons. The brakes on my Yamaha 49cc BWS seemed to only be about the size of a quarter. I liked that machine but I had to replace the brakes quite a few times in the 22,000 km that I had the bike. It was kind of scary knowing that my life depended on brakes about the size of a quarter.

I got on the Forza to go for a test ride. I grabbed the right brake lever and it went right to the grip. OK, I pumped it a few times and got pressure. The same thing happened with the left brake. I guess my Combined Braking System works. It sure felt bad, I thought at first I had done something really wrong.

I went down the highway to a deserted parking lot and tried a few hard stops. Everything worked. There was a bit of gravel dumped on the pavement so I tried a few panic stops on the gravel. The ABS did its thing. No ambulance was needed.

I rode a few mountain miles and it was all good. My next purchase will probably have to be a front Michelin CityGrip to replace the almost worn out factory ScootSmart.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

When changing worn pads, once you've got the caliper off, leave the old pads in and place a lever between them to drive the pistons back in.
This prevents damage to the caliper body and pistons.
After you force the pistons back the lever will be soft, it is essential to pump it once the new pads are in and before you ride off.
This is the same for all hydraulic disc brakes and has nothing to do with ABS.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Azrof
Color: red

Post by Azrof »

beegmouse wrote:I request this be made sticky.

600 miles
8000 miles
16000 miles
24000 miles etc

my experience with auto is that the disc doesnt always warp but get pad build up on rotors because of hard/ panic stops
never had problem with bikes and ive ridden for many years.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:When changing worn pads, once you've got the caliper off, leave the old pads in and place a lever between them to drive the pistons back in.
This prevents damage to the caliper body and pistons.
After you force the pistons back the lever will be soft, it is essential to pump it once the new pads are in and before you ride off.
This is the same for all hydraulic disc brakes and has nothing to do with ABS.

And check your fluid level if you do this as sometimes it can get to high if you have topped up to compensate for pad wear