Advice for riding with passenger?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

kamakanaola808
Year: 2015
Color: White

Advice for riding with passenger?

Post by kamakanaola808 »

I have owned my 2015 PCX150 for a little less than a month, but have ridden a smaller 50cc Metropolitan for the previous 5 years. I have no experience carrying a passenger, and probably would not feel comfortable even attempting to do so for at least another month or two.

Does anyone have any good advice for riding with a passenger? What technical aspects and safety precautions should I consider? Do I need to make any adjustments to the scooter itself?
zanggerk
Year: 2012
Color: black

Re: Advice for riding with passenger?

Post by zanggerk »

I would recommend to ride with a light passenger first. Tell him/her to keep the feet on the foot rests during the whole ride and not to step on the exhaust.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

There are some simple do's and don't's... I think you can take a class
Attachments
dolls.png
dolls.png (225.77 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The bike acts differently with a passenger. It takes longer to stop because the pcx only has disc brakes in the front, and no abs. Also, when you turn, the passenger must learn to lean with you. If they do not lean with you there will be problems.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Having had zero experience riding a bike before I bought my PCX at 55 years old (rode on the back of a bike maybe 3 times in my life), and now having my wife ride pillion, I would suggest ....

- Don't attempt it until you feel confident and comfortable on the bike yourself.

- If there is an empty, larger parking lot or something like that for you to practice, start there.

- If your first passenger(s) could be experienced on a bike, that would likely help. A novice passenger and a novice driver are not the best combination — trust me on this one. ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Any change to the balance of a bike requires the operator to adapt. When a passenger enters the equation, the balance can shift without warning. I have fallen four times over the years while on a motorcycle/scooter. The first was with an inexperienced passenger on my Kymco about 7 years ago. We were turning slowly into a gravel driveway and my nephew shifted his weight. The combination of factors meant a slow speed fall. I took another nephew for a ride on the PCX back in September of this past year and he did rather well with following my instructions; I.e. Lean when I lean, don't jiggle around and hold on to me. We didn't wreck, but he is a tall gangly lad and it was difficult to adjust to the balance. Then there was my son. He rode with me since he was 12, and he's a tiny little bugger (5'2" adult height). He got the hang of it quick and I could almost forget he was there because we were both one with the bike.

All that to say, riding with a passenger is a crap shoot. These days the only passenger I generally ride with is my 10 lb Maltese. She sits in a pouch in front of me and puts her nose on my arm. I'd forget she was there, except she slobbers a little. My son never did that and he's too big to ride with me these days. Anyway, if you ride with a passenger understand that it changes the rules. You have an added variable that can be completely unpredictable. Know your bike, and know your rider. Your rider should know the bike as well and know exactly what you expect of him/her.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Make sure you both sit facing the same way, ideally facing forward.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Robert R
Regular User
Regular User
Year: S-wing 2014
Color: White

Post by Robert R »

Make sure you have the best insurance package you can afford, not just the legal minimum. I have decided for me that at age 64 and inexperienced that even when I do pass my test I do not wish to be responsible for a passengers safety on todays roads. So to practical advice based on experience I have none :D other than the insurance point.
RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tonyx
Color: red

Post by Tonyx »

Mounting and dismounting is awkward for the passenger. Make it clear that they mount second only when you give okay. Then they get off first only when you give okay.

And always, always, don't fight the leaning while turning.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

Riding alone is risky. Riding with a passenger is riskier.
PingGam
Year: 2012 PCX
Color: Black

Post by PingGam »

Don't let the passenger sit side saddle until you are comfortable with the normal passenger position.
Current Scooters
2012 PCX 150 Black
2016 Forza 300 ABS Yellow
zanggerk
Year: 2012
Color: black

Post by zanggerk »

PingGam wrote:Don't let the passenger sit side saddle until you are comfortable with the normal passenger position.
I would not recommend having a passenger sitting side saddle at all. I have only seen that in Asia anyway. In India I saw up to 4 people on a scooter (including one baby) :o
Always take only one passenger at a time! :-)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Make sure you both sit facing the same way, ideally facing forward.

On the bike?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:Make sure you both sit facing the same way, ideally facing forward.

On the bike?
Yes, and on the seat provided.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong