Rear brake pad wear

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Rear brake pad wear

Post by Mister Paul »

My Forza has just done around 6k miles and is with the local mechanic for a new rear tyre. He's just texted to say the rear pads are down to 1mm.

Is this normal wear, or am I victim to the sticking rear caliper? If it's the caliper, what's my best course of action?
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Re: Rear brake pad wear

Post by j.d.b. »

Ask your mechanic if there's a problem with the caliper/system and if not, is this normal wear? If the caliper is bad it will need repair or replacement.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Mister Paul wrote:My Forza has just done around 6k miles and is with the local mechanic for a new rear tyre. He's just texted to say the rear pads are down to 1mm.

Is this normal wear, or am I victim to the sticking rear caliper? If it's the caliper, what's my best course of action?
IMO its absolutely not normal wear, pads should last much longer than that.
Best course of action is to keep changing the pads regular, use the cheapest ones you can find.
I've stripped and cleaned my caliper twice this year and the thing still drags constantly.
You'll need to change the exhaust connection gasket regularly because the silencer has to come off so often for tyres and pads.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

gn2 wrote:
Mister Paul wrote:My Forza has just done around 6k miles and is with the local mechanic for a new rear tyre. He's just texted to say the rear pads are down to 1mm.

IMO its absolutely not normal wear, pads should last much longer than that.
Best course of action is to keep changing the pads regular, use the cheapest ones you can find.
I've stripped and cleaned my caliper twice this year and the thing still drags constantly.
You'll need to change the exhaust connection gasket regularly because the silencer has to come off so often for tyres and pads.
Thanks. I picked the bike up last night, and the mechanic said that the caliper was not sticking, and there was no evidence of it doing so. The wheel has always spun without dragging whenever I've tried it on the stand, and it came straight off when unbolted. He asked how much I used the rear brake. I explained that I'm not a hard braker so wouldn't expect me to have been the issue.

I bought the bike from Honda after it had been owned by them for 12 months. It could have been thraped as a demonstrator/pool bike, but the front pads are fine.

I'll keep an eye on it. EBC pads going on on Friday.
dadragon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dadragon »

The stock breakpads aren't that kind of quality. So it won't last long.
Maybe you used the brake more often.

Brembo brakepads are way better and hold much longer.

The rear tyre is done after 6k miles?
I just did 8500 miles with the stock rear tyre.
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

for information...6000mls recently and my rear stock tyre required changing...was very near limit...and I dont like taking any chances with tyres.....brake pad still seems Ok.
must all be down to driving conditions and riding style..maybe weather conditions in different countries is a factor?
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

Yeah, 600 miles isn't bad for a rear tyre. Half of my riding is on the motorway, dunno if that makes a difference.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mister Paul wrote:Yeah, 600 miles isn't bad for a rear tyre. Half of my riding is on the motorway, dunno if that makes a difference.

It is pretty bad.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

you you wrote:
Mister Paul wrote:Yeah, 600 miles isn't bad for a rear tyre. Half of my riding is on the motorway, dunno if that makes a difference.

It is pretty bad.
You reckon? 6.5k is about the same as on other scoots in the past.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Mister Paul wrote:
you you wrote:
It is pretty bad.
You reckon? 6.5k is about the same as on other scoots in the past.
If you read back, 600 miles has been stated a few times rather than 6000 - youyou was joking about the error.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

D'oh!......