2012 esp malossi multivar 2000 ?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

spaglemon
Year: 2012
Color: Red

2012 esp malossi multivar 2000 ?

Post by spaglemon »

Been looking at the Malossi Multivar 2000 for my wifes 2012 125 esp and wondered if the stock belt's the best option with this variator ? also wondered if you're best using the 10.5g rollers the Multivar comes with or is it better to use sliders ?
My wifes bike's currently stock apart from 12g Dr Pulley sliders, she's looking to change to a stainless exhaust soon too.

Cheers
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Re: 2012 esp malossi multivar 2000 ?

Post by Oyabun »

spaglemon wrote:Been looking at the Malossi Multivar 2000 for my wifes 2012 125 esp and wondered if the stock belt's the best option with this variator ? also wondered if you're best using the 10.5g rollers the Multivar comes with or is it better to use sliders ?
My wifes bike's currently stock apart from 12g Dr Pulley sliders, she's looking to change to a stainless exhaust soon too.
I have the multivar 2000 on my esp 2012 and like it. A few things to note.
- it is sturdier and larger ( e.g. original rollers are 20*15 the Malossi rollers are larger 23*17 if I remember correctly)
- will give slightly longer top end as it drives the belt all the way out on the front pulleys.
- acceleration will not be too much different from the factory vario with 12g dr pulleys
- I have the reinforced kevlar malossi belt also, but my factory belt only had about 4000 kms on it so I'm currently using it with that until it will wear out.
- mine came with two sets of rollers 10.5 and 12.5 and an upgraded torque spring. The 10.5 rollers to be used with the stock torque spring and the 12.5 with the upgraded one. As I could not install the new torque spring I use the lighter ones. As the vario uses different roller sizes you cannot use your existing rollers - and I could not find the proper sized sliders so far.
- while th casting quality of the variator seems to be superior to the original honda one, the sliding retainers ( dunno how to call them really. These are plastic triangles installed on the comntra plate what holds the rollersnin place) were a bit tight I had to do some filing to have a smooth vario action and good rpm return on deceleration.
spaglemon
Year: 2012

Post by spaglemon »

Thank you for all the info, bit surprised that the ramps are plastic ? Why were you not able to fit the clutch spring ? I've never changed one, is it a difficult job ? Good to know that the stock belt works with the Multivar as my wifes bike has less than 3000 miles.
What kind of top speed do you get ? is your bike otherwise stock ?

Thanks
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013

Post by buddy1976 »

just use your old belt until it needs replacing then get a reinforced kevlar belt. i have tried nearly every combination of weights in my multivar but the 10.5g seem to be the sweet spot with and without the contra spring, when you upgrade your exhaust maybe 10g or a combination of 3x10.5g + 3x10g(fitted alternatively 10/10.5/10/10.5/10/10.5)
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013

Post by buddy1976 »

spaglemon wrote:Thank you for all the info, bit surprised that the ramps are plastic ? Why were you not able to fit the clutch spring ? I've never changed one, is it a difficult job ? Good to know that the stock belt works with the Multivar as my wifes bike has less than 3000 miles.
What kind of top speed do you get ? is your bike otherwise stock ?

Thanks

Its not hard to change the spring, the tools i used initially were a couple of G clamps, BIG adjustable spanner and a rubber mallet. loosen the big nut on the clutch assembly slightly (using the spanner and mallet) use the G clamps to keep the spring compressed before unscrewing the nut then take off the big nut by hand. you may need an extra pair of hands to help to keep the clutch assembly still whilst freeing the nut, also one person can screw the nut back on whilst the other puts there weight on the assembly when putting it back together to get the nut on.

Ive had a few beers so this is hardly worthy of the how to section but hopefully it will help you complete the install of the multivar kit(and what a great kit it is too!) :D
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs