Extra 12 volt plug on a 2014 Forza 300

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Adrian
Year: 2014
Color: RED

Extra 12 volt plug on a 2014 Forza 300

Post by Adrian »

Has anyone installed a separate elect. 12 volt socket for plugging accessories into on their Forza 300? I need one for my GPS to plug into.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Extra 12 volt plug on a 2014 Forza 300

Post by Mister Paul »

Adrian wrote:Has anyone installed a separate elect. 12 volt socket for plugging accessories into on their Forza 300? I need one for my GPS to plug into.
Why can't you use the fitted one with an adapter on?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

You can't close the door with a wire hanging out of it. Just thought that someone had rigged up a separate hook up outside of that box. My GPS is mounted in the middle of the handle bars. I know Honda sells a plug with a connector on it but does the Forza have a connector that matches that connector close by?
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

Adrian wrote:You can't close the door with a wire hanging out of it. Just thought that someone had rigged up a separate hook up outside of that box. My GPS is mounted in the middle of the handle bars. I know Honda sells a plug with a connector on it but does the Forza have a connector that matches that connector close by?
Fair enough. I thought from the look of mine that you'd be able to shut the door with a wire coming out, but haven't tried it.
Atis
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Atis »

Some have notched the door to allow the wire to pass through. I have not done it but it seems like an easier solution that if done with thought would not create much of a water infiltration problem. May be worth considering.
Honda 2014 Forza 300 (ABS)
Honda 1995 Elite 80 (Sold)
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

I've bought a socket what has two usb outlets - a 2.1A one and a 1A one. As all of my devices are using usb charging anyway I found it quite useful as I only have to bring cables not an entire charger.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Atis, even if you notched the bottom, the wind might blow up and bring moisture in if it's raining. You know how wind comes around to your back side when you have a windshield. The fairing may cause the same thing down low. The shops around me haven't had much luck selling these machines, but I will start calling and see if any of them might know or have done it. I found a picture of a Forza 300 that had something on the right topside, that looked like a plug and a button. The picture is not clear, but something is there. Don't remember where I found the picture at. I have looked at so much stuff! Thanks for your reply.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

Ebay sell waterproof cigarette lighter kits for motorbikes. You should have room on the plastics behind the screen to fit one. It's the wiring that will be fun.
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

I drilled a hole through the bottom of the compartment where the 12V socket is...( need a long drill bit for that )...bought a long lead socket connection and fed that through the hole and up through through the steering column...works for me...have not yet "sealed" around the cable in the hole but dont think I will need do that as the faring protects....
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by MBMyer »

[quote="Adrian"]You can't close the door with a wire hanging out of it. /quote]

I do, and often. I just make sure that the wire comes out on the bottom side of the door seal so that when the seal is damaged, it acts as a drain hole rather than as an inlet.
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015; still only 18K on the odo
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Thanks dergav and MBMyer for your replys. I might wind up drilling a hole in the bottom if I can't find another way. Running the wire out the door and then closing it on it is not going to happen. Eventually the wire will probably break and it would probably break at the wrong time.
Thanks to all for your reply's.
beegmouse
Regular User
Regular User

Post by beegmouse »

Depends on how thick your USB cable is.

I bought one of those flat ribbon cables and it fits through the closed door no problems at all.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Thank you beegmouse for that information. I installed the tall windshield and while it was off I removed the plastic piece that was below the old windshield and you can get to the box that the Honda hook up is in and then route the wire where you want too. I'm thinking about trying that way.