Sheared bolt - holding rear brake line

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

philjohnston
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Sheared bolt - holding rear brake line

Post by philjohnston »

I was trying to access the oil filter and when I was first removing the 8mm bolt holding the rear brake line it sheared (on left side of bike near the 17mm bolt for air filter). Any ideas what to do? It appears just to hold the rear brake line up and out of the way. :cry:
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Re: Sheared bolt - holding rear brake line

Post by Alibally »

You'll probably need to take the belt cover off and see if there's any bit of the bolt sticking out that can be unscrewed.
Did you turn it the wrong way and break it or was it seized?
If it's broken off flush with the casing and it's not going to come out easily then I would seek professional help as it can be harder to repair properly if it's buggered about with.
philjohnston

Post by philjohnston »

Thanks for the reply. It was right and properly seized ... I did turn it the proper direction but the bolt sheared. I received a suggestion from someone in my scooter group to try a bolt extractor called "grab-it". I will see if that works and if not then get professional help. Really pleased to see a reply from Edinburgh by the way. My wife, I and our 2 kids lived in Scotland 2007 -2011 ... 07-09 in Edinburgh and 09-11 in Broughty Ferry near Dundee.

Cheers
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

Give it a spray with some release oil / wd40 or equivalent and leave it overnight if possible. It might help free the crispy bits.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

If it's sheared flush I would drill a 4mm hole in the aluminium tab extending left of the bolt boss and use a cable-tie to anchor the cable. fast, easy, cheap, and effective! The alternative is generally drilling out the last of the bolt and Heli-coiling the hole. Blehhh.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

you got it j.b.d.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

This morning, for grins, I put a wrench to that bolt. It was very tightly stuck to the anti-rotation arm on the cable-case bracket, itself, but not locked up in the aluminium case threads. I had to support the arm(as it was really trying to twist) and SNAP, it let go and turned easily out of the case. Interesting as this is a decent, plated lag-bolt and there's no sign of rust where the bolt contacts the cable-case bracket. This bike just turned 1000 miles this week. I put a dab of anti-sieze on the underside of the bolt-head and re-installed it. Weird.
philjohnston

Post by philjohnston »

The other half of the bolt is now out thank goodness. One of my buddies from our scooter club in Calgary came over this morning and got it out using a bolt extractor. He had to first drill into the broken 1/2 that was recessed in the hole (to flatten the head), then reverse drilled into the head, then used the extractor (with drill on reverse) to extract the broken piece. Picture of the 2 pieces attached
IMG_4332.jpg
IMG_4332.jpg (459.12 KiB) Viewed 1495 times
Thanks to everyone who replied over the past day with suggestions ... it was much appreciated.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

Good job. A wee touch of grease on the bolts now?
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

Isn't it interesting how there's no sign of corrosion? That plating appears intact. No welding apparent in that picture.
Yeah, a bit of anti-sieze should prevent any future trouble.
philjohnston

Post by philjohnston »

Got Genuine Honda part replacement of bolt today (only $2) :P . Definitely used the anti-seize lubricant (thanks for that recommendation) and installed it (not too tight!). Everything is "right as rain" again.