Showing up on PCX to new place of employment

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Safety Man
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Showing up on PCX to new place of employment

Post by Safety Man »

Hey everyone. Hopefully, everyone is staying safe on the roads this summer. I had a close call last morning with a car making a turn and not seeing me (even with my hiviz stuff on--Illinois plates). Anyway, I am generally of the same attitude of, perhaps, most PCX riders: not really trying to impress anyone else with my ride and not caring much for what others think. I love the bike, and that's all that matters. Right?! Well, maybe not so much. I am ready to accept a new management position at another company and this makes me concerned because if I showed up on the PCX to work, others would immediately form their perceptions--perceptions that can possibly reduce my image (and on-the-job effectiveness) immediately. Now, the company consists of predominantly male working class adults (no, not construction but somewhat similar). During the interview, I noticed that 99% of personal vehicles in the parking lot are trucks. My dilemma, as you can see, has to do with showing up to work on a scooter and immediately losing a chunk of credibility that I hope to start fostering in the very beginning. What would you do? Would you show up in your car for the first couple of months or still ride and not care too much?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Showing up on PCX to new place of employment

Post by gn2 »

Three years ago I was in the same position.
Obviously I took the scooter because I don't care a flying fuck what anyone thinks of my chosen means of transport.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Simon0867
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: White

Post by Simon0867 »

Been riding scooters to work on and off for years. Get the mickey taken out of me by collegues but it's good natured and I couldn't really care less anyway. Nothing wrong with being different.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015

Post by Valiant »

You might find that the harder thing to do is to pretend to be something you're not.

Interesting personal tidbit:
When I was riding my PCX, I had no friends.

Now that I've moved up to a CB300F, I have... no friends Q_Q

If someone has a problem, you can offer to drive your car to work, just be sure to point out to them that the same asshole is still going to be driving it, and say "my car isn't your boss, I am" ^_^
Blubayou
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX125

Post by Blubayou »

Park up and have a smile on your face. Hopefully you'll enjoy the ride to & from work much more than they do.

I just love squeezing past all the idiots running to get out of the car park at finishing time, reversing into each other & getting all irate in their huge bourgemobiles.

Pays to keep your wits about you mind!
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I would consider using the car/truck for the first week or so. Getting familiar with the route. Carting any stuff you need to bring in that first week. And yes, giving yourself the chance to "fit in" more smoothly. A new job is always going to be as much about the people as it is about the job. If you feel that there might be negative stereotyping due to the scoot, well, just bag it for a week. Let folks get to know YOU. Later in the seek, I might also consider bitching some about the drive to set the stage.

Then when you show up on the scoot, you get to confuse those that are predisposed to judging books by their covers. Always nice to screw with their small little minds...
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

gn2 wrote:Three years ago I was in the same position.
Obviously I took the scooter because I don't care a flying fuck what anyone thinks of my chosen means of transport.
maddiedog wrote:GN2 is right (as usual)
:lol:

I ride my PCX and people laughed at me. I didn't care, so they left it alone.

You're a grown man/woman -- do what makes you happy, and don't let the opinions of anyone other than those who you love bother you in the least. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Use the car for a few weeks, no need to be subject to an unfair stereotype, but nevertheless does happen.

Assess the temperature of the situation a few weeks after settling in.....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Safety Man wrote:What would you do? Would you show up in your car for the first couple of months?
yes show for a couple months then ask for a raise and a vacation... that's how todays new hires roll.
Attachments
ohsure.jpg
ohsure.jpg (8.75 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Just use the car for a week or two, and let others know that you own a PCX and will probably use that in the future. Sort of breaks the ice and alleviates the shock value when you turn up on it. :) :)
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by Tom192 »

They laugh until you tell them how much mpg it does then the laughing stops and they want one too!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Nor only the great mpg, but here in the UK filtering is another great thing about being on 2 wheels. Not so lucky in most of the US where you don't really have any advantage over other vehicles at all.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

maddiedog wrote:
gn2 wrote:Three years ago I was in the same position.
maddiedog wrote:GN2 is right (as usual)
:lol:

I ride my PCX and people laughed at me. I didn't care, so they left it alone.

You're a grown man/woman -- do what makes you happy, and don't let the opinions of anyone other than those who you love bother you in the least. :)
They only laughed at your ridiculously large screen,thats all... :D